If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Autumn Gala 17-20th September

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Kje7812, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    I still think much of the problem is due to running the shuttle only between Kidderminster and Bewdley whereas previous years have seen shuttle services running from both ends of the line and calling at intermediate stations; IMHO an hourly Kidderminster - Highley and hourly Bridgnorth - Hampton Loade shuttle would not only ease the pressure but provide more activity to watch in terms of passing trains at the lineside and watching shunt moves at the shuttle termini. Whilst this year's combination of the Ivatt 2 2-6-0 and the 45xx 2-6-2T was worth the effort to see and photograph would it not have been better to employ them individually on an hourly shuttle in a pool also comprising the auto-train with 1450 and retain the hourly working of the through services ?

I feel that many people not only want to travel on the line but also use the shuttles to access locations where they can photograph a particular locomotive at work - whether guest or resident loco. The shuttle would provide for this flow thus relieving the pressure on the through trains.

I know that many people disregard the lineside photographer as a "free-loader" but many would be happy to use a shuttle service to reach the more secluded spots - to the benefit of both the operator seeking to reduce crowding on trains and platforms whilst providing a means for photographers to provide additional income without increasing the pressure on through services.

I well recall that in 2009 the Kidderminster shuttle worked to Highley and this was considered sufficiently successful that it was repeated IIRC for the Spring Gala in 2010; is there any reason why it was not repeated in subsequent Gala timetables ?

Robert Heath No.6 and black5 like this.
  2. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member Friend

Not sure if it’s been mentioned in this thread, but there has been a speed restriction at the top of Eardington Bank for some months now, with the track there due to be re-laid during the upcoming winter shut down. I suspect the timetable was adjusted to factor that in, as the times allowed over that section in the gala were quite a bit longer than a typical timetable C. It may also have accounted for the decision not to run any shuttles at the Bridgnorth end this year.

3. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not really, 16 mins for BH to HL rather than the usual 15.

lil Bear likes this.
  4. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

I agree. Clearly there are large numbers of visitors who like to travel from one end of the line to the other without a break, but there are many others who like to switch trains or just stop and watch a railway at work.

5. Robin

It may not be down to the track problems, but the time from BN departure to HL departure (including a crossing) is 18 minutes on timetable C but between 22-25 minutes on the gala. I haven't kept any previous gala timetables, so I don't know if that increase is normal or particularly for this year?

6. Kje7812

That's just padding, every station stop had increased layovers at the gala, Arley and Bewdley more so.

7. Robin

Fair enough, it seemed to run pretty much to time on the 3 days I was there so no complaints from this quarter.

8. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    You're confusing he 2 departure times with the respective departure / arrival times. Each station had 3-10 minute layover to give enough time to cross trains and build in recovery time.

9. gios

gios Member

Unfortunately it is clearly impossible to satisfy all of the people all of the time. In my humble view the SVR Autumn Gala was an outstanding success, blessed by wonderful weather, for both the SVR and its visitors.

Lets just celebrate the fact we are fortunate enough to still have a railway/s, loco's and stock too give everyone the opportunity to view, see, smell, hear, re-create and soak up the atmosphere of the past - things that without the few could have so easily been lost forever. Enjoy the spectacle and remember the countless personal sacrifices involved.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Matt37401 likes this.
  10. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

All true, but none of it specific to a gala weekend...

lil Bear likes this.
  11. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Given that past events across the country seem to have set the "bar" so high that there have been a number of complaints about this year's events being a let down, I do wonder of the Gala type event has had its day, becoming almost physically impossible to stage an event that people would be "wowed" by and certainly getting financially unviable.

Steven

Herald likes this.
  12. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    There may be a few complaints on this forum, but 7300 people visited (and paid for a ticket) over the four days - a significant increase on the 2014 event. I expect if I trawled back there would be similar complaints about previous years galas too.

1472, Matt37401 and gios like this.
  13. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Have to say I agree with you, I've mentioned this in a previous post, but how about we just dont bother? Now that would be somthing to moan at, theres a Scot and a Brit this year but theres not as many locals as other years, so as I say why bother? I appreciate you cant please all the people all the time but I do wish some people would realise there has to be a bit of give and take. We are bloody lucky to have what we have in our green and pleasant land I think some people need to remember that.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    gios and 1472 like this.
  14. Kje7812

Certainly galas with many visitors seem to have had their day. Rather than 4 or 5 visitors, it is 3 maybe 4. Of course it depends on the railway but I don't think more locos equals more passengers.

Bean-counter likes this.
  15. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

The availability of guest locos of various sizes are clearly getting thin on the ground.
    How many small guest locos did the WSR have running this past weekend?
    Not doubting they're available but at what cost and also how many times do you get the same guest in without becoming repetitive?
    We had the coal tank twice in 18 months? But with a subtle livery change.

Galas are alot like engines. They go in cycles when the right engines are available.

16. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Visitors come for a variety of reasons including travelling behind a train; travelling behind a specific locomotive; sampling a mix of experiences from main line to suburban rolling stock; dining on the train or simply going to a station to "watch trains". In that context I think the timetable and the consequent train frequency / mix is the important factor. As I noted in an earlier post the best Diesel Gala of recent times had no visitors but an interesting mix of resident traction on a variety of services running sufficiently frequently that brought a lot of custom; the draw was the timetabling which IMHO is the least regarded but the most valuable of the Gala skills.

17. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    You don't need lots and lots of guests to make a gala, you just need to use what you have to best of your capabilities. This is what was missing from this SVR ASG, and what prevented a good gala from being a great gala. What was unique to each day, where was the creativity? There just wasn't that gala feel overall, Highley you could turn up and think it was a normal C timetable for example.

Robert Heath No.6 likes this.
  18. Platform 3

Platform 3 Member

Maybe, but from a financial perspective it would appear to have been a significant success. So, for the railway, why would they seek to change this year's formula for next year?

19. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Because you might as well advertise it as a 6100 / 4472 etc etc Running Day than "the Premier Enthusiasts Event".

20. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

I have to agree with lil Bear on this one. The guests were brilliant. How many times do you get to see 3 Pacifics and a Scot on the same line but the timetable did let it down a bit. I know this isn't a popular opinion but couldn't the railway have provided a bit more variety without it costing them more? This may have provided the crews and with a more enjoyable experience. It might not have made more money but it would have been more fun for all of us and that's why we do it! lil Bear wrote the best timetable I've ever seen. It was the one for SSS2 in 2009. I made the decision not to travel all the way from Fflint to the WSR for this year's Autumn gala because the timetable was a bit boring.
    I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the SVR's gala when I was there and didn't notice the timetable but I only went for one day. I usually go for 2 days but didn't see the point because the timetable was just a cycle. Things like pairing locomotives with coaching stock, a late-night express behind the Scot or Britannia and more shuttles would all have been great.