If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Autumn Gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by acorb, May 6, 2009.

1. Slash

Slash Member

Ballast monkey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Well, thats the first time i've been to the SVR. Definitely worth it.

2. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

What a great locomotive 1744 is. Stunning to look at and with a great turn of speed even with the heaviest load on the line. The teaks incidently were getting a lot of favourable comments. One chap got off the train at Kidder, saw them in the sun in platform 2 and just stopped in his tracks and exclaimed "Wow! What a fantastic rake of carriages!". Definitely the best looking loco and stock on show for me.

3. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    VIDEO: SVR Autumn Gala

I have uploaded a video of Sunday’s action at the SVR’s Autumn Steam Gala to YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wTZnwa6E50

For those who might be interested in more details of the sequences, these are:

4566 waiting departure at Bridgnorth;
    Erlestoke Manor moving on shed;
    43106 and 41241 arriving at Bridgnorth with the 1040 departure from Kidderminster;
    4566 departing Bridgnorth with the 1212 departure;
    41241 and 43106 descending Erdington Bank tender first with the 1240 departure from Bridgnorth;
    1744 ascends Erdington Bank with the 1155 departure from Kidderminster;
    Kinlet Hall tender first at Victoria Bridge with the 1410 departure from Kidderminster;
    1744 bunker first at Victoria Bridge with the 1345 departure from Bridgnorth;
    813 arrives at Arley with the 1501 departure from Highley;
    46443 runs through Arley non-stop with the 1442 departure from Kidderminster;
    813 departs Arley;
    42968 ascends Bewdley Bank with the 1447 departure from Bridgnorth;
    1744 descends Bewdley Bank with the 1625 departure from Kidderminster in failing light.

I hope everyone enjoys it!

Regards

4. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

Sorry Orion, link isn't working as of Monday p.m. ("can't find server" error). Can you re-post it please?

5. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
  6. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

No inconvenience at all Orion, thanks for acting fast on it. Great vids which brought across the "country line" flavour of the event. Thanks

7. 14xx Lover

14xx Lover New Member

Postman, Passed Cleaner on SVR
    i would say the gala was brill had a nice fireing turn on 813 friday evening on the goods, then i had an even more exciting turn on the ivatt tank double heading with the flying pig then later on swapped with 46443, jtx was my driver and i think we did enjoy ourselves.

8. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

I have a photo of 813 on the goods on Friday evening at Bewdley on my fotopic site. I'll have to see if the fireman can be seen on the footplate.

Cheers,

Paul

9. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    My photos up now at

http://5944.fotopic.net/c1760878.html

Shame the weather bore absolutely no relation to the forecast of 3 days sunshine. It would also have helped if I knew, despite travelling up and down the line for 2 days, that Arley was south of Highley when trying to look for a location the other side of the river! It took a while to figure out what was wrong when I saw the signs for Hampton Loade.....!

10. Kingston Flyer

Kingston Flyer Member

Booking in clerk
  11. 14xx Lover

14xx Lover New Member

Postman, Passed Cleaner on SVR
    Yh thts me in the cab looking very see thru lol

12. the-gog

the-gog Member

Oh boy, I could've throttled them all at Hampton Loade! I really, really can’t understand why the SVR don’t have a formal policy at these galas – and strictly enforce them by platform staff – to prevent flash photography. I felt sorry for the traincrew being peppered by all the flashes as it destroys their dark adaptation. As a result most of my shots were ruined.

I had much better luck the following morning, though. Photos at http://railphotos.demeseo.com/c1760704.html and I might add a little more depending on whether or not I have the mood to process some more.

Richard

13. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yep, the earth moved for me too, mate. For some reason, my car sounded really quiet on the way home! When I looked in the mirror, I looked like one of those cartoon figures who's just been blown up, two eyes blinking in this black face. The missus took one look and said, "Touch nothing. Get in the shower now!"

For the record, I think you did a superb job, keeping the Mickey steaming on that crud you were having to shovel on the last but one trip. In fact a great night all round.

Regards,

jtx

14. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Link corrections for SVR videos

I have posted two links to YouTube videos of mine on the SVR gala weekend. Unfortunately the links were broken because the 'insert link' widget presumes that the user won't prefix a URL with a 'http://' string.

The correct links are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wTZnwa6E50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvtJPOHV1UU

Sorry for the inconvenience and many thanks to those of you who have found your way to the videos anyway and posted appreciative remarks.

Regards

15. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    In response to david1984's comment, I may well have been the "inconsiderate berk standing virtually on the loop with a tripod", or at least one of the 3 or 4 or stood there trying to get a shot. From looking at the times on the photos, I was there for about 4 minutes, before moving on to the platform. I stood there because the loco stopped so far back, and there were so many people stood on the platform.

Looking at the timetable, the train was booked there for 13 minutes before the other train was due to arrive. Surely at some point you would've had plenty of time to get a shot? Failing that, why not try and take a photo from somewhere else? You weren't the only person there trying to take photos.

Regarding the flash situation, I had to bin several photos of the N2 at Hampton Loade in the evening, due to one guy using a repeatedly using a flash gun to light up the loco. I finally managed to get a couple without any sign of the blue reflection lighting up the scene, but it took a while.

Richard - those photos from Sunday morning are great, especially the first one of 813 on the goods. That is what I was hoping to get, if only I'd managed to get my bearings and figure out which way round the stations are.

16. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    As usual, another Great SVR Gala, loads of camcorder footage to process, however I jumped Sundays morning early Morning Footage at Bridgnorth Shed as the results were stunning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv5rdkPa0f8

More in the pipe line later

17. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    Very nicely done, pennysteam. It was rather atmospheric there, wasn't it? It brought back some happy memories. That was me, making that rather slippery exit on the Mickey Mouse, a combination of morning dew on the railhead, plus the Mickey's regulator is more like a light switch. I was gratified to find it wasn't just me, the N2 had quite a spectacular slip in Arley cutting, restarting from the Home with 8 Gresleys holding it back. We crossed them there about 35 minutes after your shot.

18. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

As an aside from the motive power plaudits, there needs to be a very honourable mention for the SVR Rolling Stock Trust, who had their newly-restored LMS open first on display in the "dining car" bay at Kidderminster over the Gala weekend.
    If you wanted to see the fruits of a high-class restoration, then this was the coach to inspect and gaze in awe at every aspect of their work. The attention to original detail was almost unbelievable.
    Well done folks.

19. The_Mighty_Kings

The_Mighty_Kings Member

IT Senior Support Consultant
  20. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member