If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by threelinkdave, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Graham Phillips

Graham Phillips New Member

A truck mechanic's life is the life for me.
    About half way between Bewdley & Arley on the SVR
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes, we should get someone with a railway background to run the SVR. What could possibly go wrong?

[​IMG]

D1002, marshall5, Robin and 9 others like this.
  2. Sammy B Films

Sammy B Films New Member

Video Creator/Budding Filmmaker
    How about a vintage day out, at one of my favourite places. [​IMG]

3. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Brilliant,and so different. The constant smooth scrolling gives a unique continuity .

4. Penrhynfan

Penrhynfan New Member

I suspect that a Steadycam-type device was used but used so well.

YIPPEE!! No music to mask the location sounds. Other film makers please take note. Music is a disruption, not a benefit.

3ABescot, MellishR and ross like this.
  5. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

Not always. Have a look at some of @Sammy B Films other videos. He/she occasionally uses music and, with care, it can add to the atmosphere of a video.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  6. Penrhynfan

Penrhynfan New Member

I will admit to not having seen any of Sammy B's other videos. I obviously need to.

7. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

This one works for me.

Flying Phil likes this.
  8. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

One of Sams best is "time to shine".

It should be used as an advert for getting more volunteers onto the railway.

9. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    'Hop On, Hop Off Returns'.

[​IMG]
    'From September 7th, normality will resume on the Severn Valley Railway with the return of Hop On, Hop Off services and Freedom of the Line tickets.

This means you can start your journey at any station and swap trains as you like. You can pre-book your tickets or turn up at the booking office and purchase travel tickets, including intermediate station travel, on the day.

Alongside this, the Autumn Steam Gala and Autumn Diesel Gala will both run with traditional Hop On, Hop Off formats.

We can't wait to welcome you back'.

10. 46137

46137 New Member

Latin teacher
    Andy has hit the spot here. I think we have to accept that heritage railways for the most part would be basket cases if looked at from a purely business-based standpoint. What holds them together is a combination of their commercial activities and - and I'm using this word advisedly - love, which will give and keep on giving without any thought of a commercial return if treated with respect and consideration. There is a danger that, if people no longer feel they are valued and respected, they will withdraw their support and walk away, and then no gadarene herds of peppa pigs or garish steam in lights extravaganzas will be able to cut it.

Of course, the bottom line is bums on seats (no pun intended), and there have to be family-oriented activities such as the above in order to generate income, but at the same time it is dangerous to ignore the fact that many supporters are supporters because they remember the BR steam era and wish to see it re-created in the most authentic way possible for as long as possible. With luck and longevity, this will continue to be the case for quite a few years yet, and it shouldn't be forgotten that it is amongst this demographic you are likely to find the greatest amount of disposable income. Alienating such folks is unwise: basic courtesy is all that is needed, and it costs nothing.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    3ABescot, alastair, ross and 2 others like this.
  11. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Absolutely. What is refreshing is the cinematic style used with or without music.

By contrast, when you've seen one high quality CME video you've seen them all.

Sheff likes this.
  12. Wyreman

Wyreman New Member

Down in the small print at the bottom I read "Members, Shareholders and Loyalty Pass holders must pre-book their table or compartment in advance."

If that's accurate and not just an oversight left over from the pre-change conditions, it seems rather unnecessary. I don't know what the situation was for shareholders and LP holders, but members certainly did *not* need to pre-book back in the "normality" the article says will now resume. While of course I don't expect absolutely everything to return precisely to how was in 2019, this seems a potential irritation without any obvious justification.

On another note, mentioned by a number of people earlier in another context: I don't expect the railway to engage in public discussions on forums like this. I *do* expect them to at least be aware of the gist of what people are saying away from "official channels." Private emails allow for personal conversations that could not be held in public. Public forums allow issues and grievances to see sunlight. I'm much less of an "insider" than most people here, and I believe in a presumption of openness from bodies like the SVR. In other words, "say it in public unless it has to be private", not "say it in private unless it has to be public."

13. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

@Wyreman I'm a shareholder and planning to travel on 7 Sep. I've checked that exact point with a very helpful lady at the SVR this morning. You are correct, they have wrongly carried forward some old booking conditions, and the service is fully "turn up and go" for everyone, members shareholders whoever. I guess the website will be corrected shortly. Very good news.

Sheff and Wyreman like this.
  14. Sammy B Films

Sammy B Films New Member

Video Creator/Budding Filmmaker
    Thank you! Really pleased you like it! It's been sitting on the hard drive for a year and a half now, (not intentionally) so it's good to finally release it.

Thanks! I do like the simplicity of these films I make, (there's more to come) as I'm still a big railway enthusiast, I too want to just see what the event was like in a more simple way. That being said, I love creating films with music, as long as it's an extension of the film, and not just because it's a nice track, with random footage. Personally, I think the 'music based films' is where I thrive. Thanks again! :)

Feel free to check some out! I have quite a variety of content. Personally, I'd recommend, Your Invite Home, Penrose (not svr) Open House Weekend, Step Back to the 1940s, Your Time To Shine, and Touching Home..... to name a few. I hope you like what you see and thanks again!

I love how people always refer to Your Time To Shine, as really, that's where the SVR took me much more seriously. (that and the Bridgnorth share offer film) I still get quite a buzz when people mention it. Thanks!

Thank you! Glad you like it. There will be more to come. :) Forgive my lack of knowledge, what is CME?

3ABescot likes this.
  15. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

The previously mentioned planning application for the work at Bridgnorth station building has been granted.

3ABescot and Charles Parry like this.
  16. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

17. robpalmer

robpalmer New Member

I was about to like this post until the last paragraph. I am old enough to remember BR steam but in practice all I remember is traveling on the Isle of Wight to Cowes at least once (living as I did in Southern Electric territory). On the other hand I remember visiting the Bluebell Railway in it’s first season when it did not reach Hosted Keynes. However in the 70s I remember (and loved) visiting (as they were then known) preserved railways. Some of us of a certain age do not hanker after boring BR black but long for the golden age of railways before nationalisation. P.S This is not a political point so please do not take it as such.

Hirn, ross, Spitfire and 1 other person like this.
  18. 46137

46137 New Member

Latin teacher
    Hello Rob. I don't think we disagree in any way, at least as regards what you've said. I wanted to say that there are still lots of folks out there (me included - I'm old enough to remember a virtually 100% steam-worked railway, back in the late 1950's, argh!) who wish to see as authentic a re-creation of the steam past - whether BR, pre-Nationalisation or pre-Grouping - as possible given today's conditions, but who are willing to put up with the meretricious stuff and diesels (sorry, I know lots of diesel enthusiasts read the Forum, so please don't take offence) provided they don't feel forgotten and unappreciated.

I don't know if that last remark counts as being 'political' and I don't want to stir up another hornets' nest having already been taken to task (to put it mildly) for suggesting that there appears to be a lack of courtesy and care in certain elevated quarters, and that this is unwise as there's a danger that the elderly goose will keep its golden eggs where the sun don't shine rather than wanting them to be used for the benefit of our preserved lines. As I hope I said earlier, you need a healthy mix of the commercial and the romantic (something that's done for, and with, love, if you like). Neither is any good without the other if you're looking at a feasible future for the hobby.

robpalmer, 3ABescot and Monkey Magic like this.
  19. Richard D

Richard D New Member

Retired
    I sent a lengthy EMail to the SVR about ten days ago regarding shareholder benefits and the crass way the issue has been handled.

In addition I had a number of concerns regarding the annual accounts and the ever increasing number of full time paid staff.

No response whatsoever. I have been a member since 1969 and a shareholder from the beginning. I must have donated
    thousands over the years in share purchases, raffles and specific appeals. The charitable trust is also mentioned in
    my will. I think I am going to have a think about that as the way I see it is that the SVR is becoming more and more detached
    from its supporters and with a cost base which is simply unsustainable.

20. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Surely some of that increase in staff is related to the engineering side of things which always seems to be very busy.