If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Season Finale Gala 4-6th November

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Kje7812, Feb 29, 2016.

1. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

I'd choose this event over the Pacific daftness any day of the week.

2. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    However said Pacific Daftness will probably provide a significantly higher financial return than the Season Finale

3. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

There's one sure fire way of ensuring the SVR gets the message that this is the kind of event that you want...attend it.

michaelh, 1472 and Jamessquared like this.
  4. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    But - as noted by Sidmouth - the general public WILL turn up for the Scotsman / Tornado duo and pay handsomely for the privilege; sadly the costs of preservation are lost on many "supporters" and the SVR needs to make money to keep going. If you object to the public paying for the Pacific duo would you be as objectionable about an increase in the Gala Rover Ticket price by as much as 100% in order to fund SVR running costs ?

5. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

I think you've missed my point Fred. I don't object to the Pacific power event at all, in fact if you look at the thread for that event i spent a fair amount of time banging my head against a brick wall trying to explain the value of such an event to the vocal minority who feel they've been robbed of "their ASG".

As a working member I'd like to think I've got a fair idea of the "costs of preservation", for example of how much our santa operation costs to put on and for how many months it pays the wages of our paid staff. My point was that the enthusiast community clearly feels strongly about the retention of "gala" events, as is clear from postings on here. The best way to ensure these events continue to be appealing to railways to run is to support them so that they can be run alongside events such as Pacific power, without needing to be subsidised by such events.

Herald, michaelh, 1472 and 3 others like this.
  6. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Whilst I note the direction that you are coming from I think that you may have to accept that some enthusiasts are unwilling to accept that "catering for the enthusiast" is seen by some heritage lines in the same light as NR's view of main line steam - its good for the window display and pleases the customers BUT doesn't contribute sufficient sales to be a prime factor in the business. I accept that it's good business to cater for the enthusiast community by - among other things - running the "gala" events but some enthusiasts fail to appreciate that they are only part of the customer base and the Heritage line(s) have to cater for a wider customer base if they are to survive.

A case in point is the South Devon Railway which I recently visited and - shortly after noted critical comment on t'internet regarding the offerings at Buckfastleigh. Whilst some of the offerings might not appeal to the "enthusiast" my wife commented that it offered a family day out with enough attractions to suit all and that a family could easily pass a full day on the railway - including the chance to visit Totnes as an added attraction rather than simply travel there by train and return on the next service.

My stance is that Heritage Lines are a business that provides a service (i.e. running steam trains) but, like any service, there are some who will not accept the service on offer and complain. I accept that as part of life and, by catering for the majority and trying to help the minority (i.e. gala disciples) understand the facts of (commercial) life that influences the provision of a lines services, heritage lines can retain the goodwill of enthusiasts. In the case of SVR I note the lack of overnight trains in November but is that too much of a loss at a time of year when darkness comes early and a similar sensation can be attained during the normal hours of operation - possibly by extending operation until a slightly later time around 20:00 ?

7. Wyreman

Wyreman New Member

This looks like a good event to me, and if the weather's okay (somewhat crucial in November!) then I'll probably end up attending. The locos announced, both visiting and home fleet, are a nice mixture -- and presumably 1450 will also be running on the advertised autotrains. I've mentioned it to a couple of friends already, and like me they feel it's a pretty attractive proposition with a £19 walk-up adult fare. I hope it's a roaring success.

I have no particular problem with Pacific Power. It's not one for me (partly because health issues mean booking events long in advance is near-impossible) and I'm looking forward to next year's conventional ASG, but I can entirely understand it. For the SVR to have turned down a chance like that would have been madness.
    Maybe that's part of the problem, though: as a working member you have a fair idea. Most visitors to the railway aren't and don't. I appreciate that there's a limit to how much financial data can be placed in the public domain, but perhaps it would be possible for a very general idea of the SVR's running costs to be put on its official website somewhere.

8. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

I absolutely agree with you there. I think that, especially these days when customers are searching for value for money, a simple facts and figures sheet in carriages (much like the "out of the window" offering currently available) or article on the website would be of interest to a fair % of passengers and of great usefulness in explaining pricing structure. General information such as average cost of loco overhauls, cost of coal, water and average consumption during a day in steam may well make the cost of a ticket look much better value than at first glance.

Wyreman likes this.
  9. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I don't think anyone was ever against the idea of the Pacific Power event taking place, it was the slaughtering of the ever popular ASG to do it that irked people, had they been at separate dates from the off things would have been dandy.

As for this event, as a standalone gala it looks decent enough, but no overnight running does spoil it somewhat for me, that made it stand out for me regardless of the loco line up.

MikeParkin65 likes this.
  10. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

I think people should not expect Overnight running as a given . There is enthusiasm on the SVR to do it, but it stretches resources to the limit , takes a set of stock out of daytime use and can attract some of the less desirable antics of the fraternity

Kje7812 and michaelh like this.
  11. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles

And what was "daft" about the SVR milking Scotsman and Tornado for all they were worth? I went on the Sunday and had a great time. Four Pacifics and two Manors, what's not to like?
    I hope to be there in November and have an equally enjoyable day.

green five, 6026 King John and A1X like this.
  12. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

It doesn't have to, plenty of previous galas saw the overnight set in use on locals or in use during the day as a main set before being spilt for the overnights.

13. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Not to mention all those kids who might get inspired.

But hey, someone employed a bit of long term thinking for once. The horror.

green five, Kje7812, michaelh and 2 others like this.
  14. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

You would normally find the over night set is dropped for a round trip to be cleaned and split for the over night trains.

For all those neigh sayers about Pacific power. It has netted large chunk of income and close to 15000 passengers. Hopefully more return visitors and maybe some volunteers and countless kids who will have hopefully got the bug.
    November will be an interesting event. The time of year doesn't lend itself to good weather. The SVR were put in the position of having Scotsman on the dates it appeared. A normal ASG will make a very marginal profit. Pacific Power may make a 6 figure profit. A heritage railway cannot survive on enthusiasts. If people want answers. Look out for the next Q & A session probably next year and come and get your own answers.

15. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

16. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Any bulleid out for this, taw valley or skp

17. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    What a superb event - I'll make an effort to get up to this. Especially to see the delightful 813 again as I'm a bit of an 813 groupie, having seen this loco at many locations on its travels around the country. And I appreciate the generosity of the SVR in providing the detailed information in advance. I was a little critical of the 'ethos' of the Pacific Power event, but clearly that event caught Joe Public's imagination, and thereby made the money that keeps the show on the road for such events as the forthcoming.

John

nick813 likes this.
  18. Kje7812

Maybe as spare but otherwise not that I've seen.

19. Kje7812

Just a reminder, normal fares apply for the event.

20. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Thought this was supposed to be 'small' engines?! Not complaining by the way!