If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Spring Steam Gala 17th-20th March 2017

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Kje7812, Dec 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    True but Bulleids were seen regularly of the stock of the other Big Four companies in inter regional workings etc.

2. Wyreman

Wyreman New Member

A very enjoyable gala all round, so thank you to everyone who helped make it happen. I'm going to be boringly similar to many others and pick out 34081 and 813 as my stars, but the timetable was also generally interesting. The use of top-and-tailed Bulleids on Bewdley-Arley locals sounded faintly mad when the timetable was published, but proved to be a really good idea. This sort of innovative thinking is much to be welcomed. I know no timetable is ever going to please everyone, but I think this one was generally very good. And as ever, all the staff I had any contact with were excellent.

Only two complaints, both minor. There were a couple of 50-minute waits timetabled at Hampton Loade, a very long time even for a gala. And while the PA at Kidderminster on Saturday morning was clear about the reduction in the double-header's train length, I only found out why considerably later on. As on NR, even the most basic explanation at the time really helps.

But the many pluses greatly outweighed the few minuses. I'm pleased to see that ticket sales were ahead of budget. Going by my own experience, I think this gala deserved to be a success.

3. Ruston906

Ruston906 Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Shows that getting the correct visitor is very important for the gala not sure you would have got 800 extra even if witherslack had been very. I went to the event on the Saturday and enjoyed it

4. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    I didn't really enjoy last years gala, conflicting views about 6990's no show didn't help, then various failures etc, so hence my decision to miss this year. Just shows though get it right and they will come. I still think 2012 Spring Gala was the best in recent times 4464, 1744, 828, 47406 and 69023 as visitors was pretty decent.

5. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

Another great weekend at the SVR, spent Friday and Saturday at the lineside and travelled on the Sunday. Enjoyed the visiting locos, but my favourite moment was travelling behind 43106 as it climbed to Eardington with a Bridgnorth bound train - fantastic soundtrack from up front!

It wasn't great weather for photography but still got some pleasing results: https://www.flickr.com/photos/djcs_trains/albums/72157679297058792

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Fund-raiser to paint the Maroons Green? Unless someone can find a rake of Maunsells/Bulleids down the back of the Sofa... :p

Matt37401 likes this.
  7. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

You will struggle to convince the C & W paintshop to paint any coach green. Our latest coach 4550 had green hinges for all of 5 days and were swiftly covered with maroon.

michaelh likes this.
  8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Out of curiousity why is 34081 without nameplates, Someone naming it at a future event or something ?.

As for stock, the SVR is more blessed than most with appropriate pre BR rakes for different regions, but occasionally you'll still get mismatches, like when a GWR loco turns up at the Mid Hants for example.

9. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

I think I heared it ran for a few months without nameplates when built so the group are replicating that.

10. D1039

D1039 Guest

Naming in May apparently

Patrick

11. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Great pictures

David likes trains likes this.
  12. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    34081 is in as built condition, it wasn't named until 1950 after it had been repainted in BR Green. I think it will be named shortly so although carrying it's nameplates will not be in an entirely authentic condition

13. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
  14. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    34081 ran without nameplates from being out shopped in September 1948 until she was repainted from malachite into BR mud dark green so it is historically accurate to run her in her current livery without nameplates and squadron badges. A BB doesn't look right however without its adornments so we won't be waiting until a repaint to fit them. A rededication ceremony is planned for early May when plates and badges will be unveiled. As there will be a flying element as part of the ceremony, we couldn't hold it earlier as our "tame" Spitfire and the BBMF would not have finished their winter maintenance in time.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017