If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SvR wagons 2010

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by olly5764, Jan 13, 2010.

1. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think the running theme for the weekend has been scrapeing and painting, with one end of the rock side sole bar getting the treatment on saturday, and with the better weather, myself and Pike were seen needle gunning and painting on the chaired leeper wagon on sunday, taking advantage of the fact it was our Vintage bus day, and there were a lot of people about, to have the yard gates open and have a few people come and look at our work.
    As for the shed, I couldn't really say anything, as I don't know much about it myself, I am after all, just a fitter.
    Ian

2. olly5764

Engineer
    Just a quickie folks, here is a pic of the newly outshopped china clay wagon.

Attached Files:

3. olly5764

Engineer
    With gala weekend on the horizon, the main theme has been tidying up. The leaves and tree growth have been cleared out of the wagons in the yard, although the chaired sleeper wagon did get some attention, with the lads carrying on needle gunning the sole bar, and the gas Axe was taken to the rotten old chain pockets. I won't be there for a couple of weeks, but if the yard gates are open, feel free to wonder down and see what the lads are up to, and look out for the goods train in next weekends gala
    Olly

4. olly5764

Engineer
    This is proving to be a popular thread once again, as I noitce we are now passed 4,000 views!
    Well, water would appear to be the theme for this weekend! The goods shed roof is being repaired, by Dave Bedwell, of the P-Way department, but with this weekend's inclemment weather, the water has poured in.
    Saturday, Nigel spent the day tidying up the results of a bit of a heavy shunt over the gala, as the contents of 93045 had found it'ss elf being turned through 90 degrees. Meanwhile I was needle gunning the sole bare on 40554, the chaired sleeper wagon, or as it seemed, finding a multitude of ways to dip bodily parts (elbows, kneed etc) into puddles.
    Sunday, and the cattle wagon was the focus of our attention, with the rotten roof planks being removed. There were rather more than we had expected, there is now a very large hole in the roof. Hopefully we can put it back together next week.
    Money is getting a bit tight at the moment though, so that is going to dictate things for a little while.
    Wish us luck
    Ian

5. olly5764

Engineer
    Despite the rumours, the Chaired sleeper wagon has not been converted to a translator for the visiting Sprinter, although Steve has begun chopping the floor out of the Kidderminster end, although running out of Oxy curtailed this activity, with the heavy build up of scale on the sole bar, getting chipped away at once more.
    The Cattle wagon has had some more needle gunning on her frames, and the rotten planks in the roof and river rock side, replaced. The photo attatched below, shews the size of the hole in the roof that had to be filled with new wood. Many naught words were uttered when the lads found that the planks that they had been assured were already cut to size, were found to be 4 inches to long!
    Meanwhile, out side, Dave Bedwell has nearly finished repairing the goods shed roof, while I was dipatched, while we had the scaffolding up, to go and paint the guttering, the front door of the shed also getting stripped off and a coat of primer applied in readyness for a new coat of paint.
    With the end of 2010 fast approaching, a lot of what happens between now and the new year will be dictated by the weather, if it stays like this, then 40554 will get more work, being outside, but if the predicted change happens, it will be the cattle wagon and mica B that benefit.
    Cheers
    Ian

Attached Files:

6. olly5764

Engineer
    The attention this week has mainly been on Cattle Wagon 891054, the roof being reassembled with the huge hole shewn in the photo above, finally being filled in, and now awaiting a canvass.
    In the yard and waiting for their turn now are Open 41277, and Ballast wagon 40841.
    These are two real old Ladies of the fleet,
    Ballast Wagon 40841 dates from 1893, and is constructed on an iron chassis, steel frames not coming in for this type of wagon, untill 1895, many of which out lasted the newer steel wagons, owing to steel corroding more readily than Iron. She came out of front line service in the 1940s, and survived in internal use at Cardiff Docks untill 1991, going back into service in 1996, aged 103 years old. She is in for a re-paint, then hopeforly, this eldery wagon can go back into service without too much extra work on it.
    41277, built to lot L556, and not allocated a diagram number, is even older, being built at swindon in 1890. She is somewhat of a rarity, as, allong with open number 25190, she was a GWR wagon, but was never a BR one, being sold out of service in 1935. She was discovered in a deralict state on Sharpness docks in 1984, moving to Bewdley in 1991. She is the only known survivor of in excess of 18,000 4 plank opens built between 1886 and 1902, and the forerunners to all subsequent GWR Iron and Steel framed wagon.

7. olly5764

Engineer
    Well, it has been one of those weekends!
    The Goods shed door has had a first coat of top coat, while inside the shed, work has progressed a little slower than I would have liked on the two vans in there.
    The Mica B has had her north end sanded down, and recived a coat of undercoat, along with quite a bit of bad language from me.
    The Cattle Wagon has had a couple of planks replaced in the Rock side door, and a coat of undercoat on the new planks in the roof. Not sure what was going on inside of it today, as I couldn't see from where I was working, but Worryingly, I did hear the phrase "For heaven's sake Tim, stop finding rotten bits"
    The reason for the slow weekend, was down to a loco failure yesterday, with myself and the Bear having to get 5764 ready for service quite quickly, along with several other members of Bewdley Loco Shed, followed by a reasonable dose of shunting too! Bearing in mind the number of times we get called in to help out, I am giving serious thought to Painting our mess van green and naming it Thunderbird 2.

8. D1039

D1039 Guest

Thanks as ever Olly. Going O/T, for the record I gather it was 46443 that needed attention?

Is the shed roof now fixed?

Patrick

9. olly5764

Engineer
    Yeah, it was one of our guys that fixed the Snifting Valve gasket on her too. If you saw the shunting going on using 6443 later on, the shunter was myself.
    Dave Bedwell, off the P-way Dept has finished the shed roof for us, but the scafolding is still up at the moment. It did cause some interesting moments when it rained with the River side of the roof missing!

10. olly5764

Engineer
    Crikey! November already! Where has the year gone?
    We brought the curtain down on october with a very varied weekend.
    Dave, Richard and Bob arried on with the repair to the goods shed, with the edge of the Dock platform, the front door, and the drain pipes all being attacked with a paint brush.
    105873 (the Mica B) had the south end sanded down, and the iron work removed from that end ready to have some dammaged timber removed, and while there seems to be some debate amongst some of the lads as to weather these planks need to be changed or can be repaired, I think I can see which way this is going to go.
    40554 had the end angle gassed out of the south end, and cleaned up ready for a paint, whilst a start has been made in removing the raised portion of the floor. Next will be removing the brake gear and the wheel set, so we can rivet the replacement floor in, and paint between the frames, mean while, the task of removing the encrusted residue of the sleepers that had been placed within the well as a means of raising the floor, has begun, although anyone who is under the impression that this is an easy task, should realise that the tools that we required were a lump hammer, a chisel and a flat scraper. At current rate of progress, you will be reading about this for a few weeks yet!
    Toad Brakevan 68501 has also been having a little attention to her brake gear, and the keen eyed ones of you will have spotted myself and Harley crawling around beneath her, taking measurements off various bits, and uttering foul anglo saxon words, with a view to e-bushing all the holes and renewing all of the pins. Bewdley machine shop may become a hive of activity for the wagon lads in the reasonably near future!
    Let us see what next week brings.
    Cheers
    Ian

11. olly5764

Engineer
    Well folks, it's that time again, time for the regular up date on progress at Bewdley.
    Firstly, the department for the third time this year, welcomes back an old face, Chris Woodgates joining Nigel Southall and Bob Titmus in returning to the SVR after a long period away.
    Lets start with work inside the goods shed, where Nigel, the Bear and Big Ian have been hard at work, removing the ironwork off the south end of the Mica B, in order to allow them to remove and replace the rotten timber on that face of the wagon, all that remains to to on that side now is put the iron work back on, and paint.
    Moving outside to 40554, the south end raised floor has been cut out and the remains of the rivets removed by Steve in the week, and work has begun to clean the bitumen and reminants of wood off the floor in the well. As the floor here is coming out, you may ask why we are wasting our time cleaning it all up, untill you remember how well this kind of matter burns when you apply the heat of an Oxy torch. In addition to this, the south end brake gear is now out, so we can then drop the draw gear off, and take the wheels out, to allow us to put the floor back in, God bless the Wiltshire Job Creation Scheme!
    Finally, flat ED 906830 had a vacuum test, courtesey of Nige from the Carridge Dept in the week, in readyness for becoming a film star. Not sure who it was for, but if any of you recognise the SVR in a new Sherlock Homes story, 906830 will be holding the camera up!

12. olly5764

Engineer
    It has been quite a busy weekend, as we have ticked off lots of little jobs that have wanted doing for a while.
    The mica B has had the zinc nailed back onto the inside of the river side door, some body filler over the screw heads on the replacement planks, and a coat of primer applied to the timber, while the steel strips that had been taken off to get the zinc off earlier in the job, finally got re-attatched in the unique way that only a certain colleague of mine can, the loud banging from inside the van being the screws being Brummied in with a hammer!
    The cattle wagon recived a coat of under coat on both ends, a job that got me some black looks from Richard, as we were working back to back painting the ends of the cattle wagon and the Mica, I went to get out from between the wagons and put my hand in his wet paint!
    The lads were up on friday and took the south end angle and the first portion of the well floor out of the chaired sleeper wagon, with the upright portion of the angle coming out quite well, however, the horizontal simply disintergrated, the new angle being drilled yesterday, with the frames getting a clean down, and the cleaned bits getting a coat of paint.
    Finally, we have also taken delivery, thanks to our friends in the carridge works, of a vacuum brake exhauster, it is a rarther elderly machine, and has taken a fair bit to start it, but it will prove usefull, although the attempts to start it, have left myself and Compo very stiff.

13. olly5764

Engineer
    Well, back to Bewdley after spending last weekend touring the north west with a friend. Following a couple of cold nights, we appeared to spend as much time diveing into the van to warm up as we did working.
    The new floor plates have been cut for the south end raised decking on 40554, and the outermost section of the well floor, which has also been marked up for drilling. The lads have been busy beavering away at the bits of the brake rigging in the goods shed, anyone thinking this may be the easy bit, being in the warm has clearly never been in our goods shed, I doubt very much if the temperature got above -5 in there today!
    The Mica B is moving forward at a reasonable pace now, the steps going back onto the south end, and a few replacement planks slid into the Rock side of the body. For what was a big job, it is quite close now.
    Catch you soon
    Ian

14. D1039

D1039 Guest

Proposed Wagon Shed: Paul Fathers posted 10 December on SVRA unofficial forum:

Patrick

15. olly5764

Engineer
    Well, here we go again.
    The mess van has its christmas decorations up now, in the form of a small blue tree with a penguin at the top.
    On the wagons that are in for repair, the mica B has had new planks inserted into the Rock side body and doors, a difficult task without turning the wagon, owing to lack of space that side, how ever, Doc Mark appears to have made a good job of it, despite the limited space.
    Chaired sleeper wagon 40554 has had two of the floor plates drilled and primed, although the cold did keep us from getting stuck into the frames, however, the brake rigging has had the attention of Chris with a paint brush and some chassis black.
    I see that both of these wagons have been in over a year, rest assured, this is not through lack of effort on our part, with other comitments to opperational departments, and the wagon fleet getting older, repairs are getting heavier and taking longer. We knew these were both going to be heavy repairs from the outset, although it will be good to see the end of them.
    I am hoping to get one more up date in before the end of the year, and I plan to start another thread in 2011, hopefully allong the same lines as this, but if any of you have other suggestions about how I can improve this colomn, I am ready to listen.
    All the best,
    Ian

16. D1039

D1039 Guest

Olly, many thanks as ever for this. Please can you email me at patrick.hearn -AT- virgin.net? Thanks

Patrick Hearn (Bridgnorth volunteer)

17. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    All I can say is keep it up :) I think there are a lot of us who quietly enjoy reading the updates. If I had to suggest anything I'd request more images?

18. olly5764

Engineer
    I will try, however, i currently have no camera, all the pics on here being taken with my phone.

19. D1039

D1039 Guest

Mudlines no. 1 http://www.svr-vlo.org.uk/mudlines/ states that the railway intends to install additional safety equipment within Bewdley Goods Shed, where the wagons team work their magic.

Patrick

20. olly5764

Engineer
    yes, and again, you know as much as I do