If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR wagons 2017

Discussion in 'Heritage rolling Stock' started by olly5764, Jan 8, 2017.

1. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Happy new year everybody, here we go again.
    Before I start on the news, I'd like to get a few thank yous in first.
    Firstly I am indebted to Graham for his photographs which have certainly helped enhance these updates, as a picture so often speaks a thousand words.
    I'd also like to thank all our readers, without whom these articles would be rather pointless, last year we reached an incredible 23,400 hits, thank you all for your interest.
    Inside the goods shed, work marches on with 55577. For those who don't know, this vehicle is really Ashford built WD49010 built for military use and never actually an SR or BR wagon, finishing her pre-preservation career at R.N.A.D. Gosport. The real 55577 was a 1930 Lancing built van a similar design (The differences being details such as the thickness of the planking to save material) This wagon has been in and out over the last few years, coming in for a quick repair, before being sent out to work trains on a couple of occasions, however this can only work for so long, and now the wagon has had to come in for a major shopping. Many of the side planks have been replaced, the roof canvas is off, the roof, door frame and corner posts have all received some surgery and the plywood sheet across the end of the veranda have been replaced.
    Meanwhile outside in the yard, as weather permits, work is progressing on GWR conflat 39860. This wagon is waiting on new chain pockets and kerb rails, which will hopefully be followed by a new floor. To the untrained eye, this wagon may seem like a straightforward job, however, there is a lot of work involved in frames, draw gear and brakes.
    If anybody has any questions, feel free to ask them, as I'm sure you won't be the only one who wants to ask the same thing, I'll try to answer them, and if you have any relevant pictures to add to this thread please feel free, it all adds to the fun.
    If any of you want to join our little team, please contact the Volunteer Liaison Office on 01299 401776 or vlo@svrlive.com. You don't need any special skills other than a sense of humor as we can find jobs for just about anyone.
    Hope 2017 is a good one!
    Olly

2. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good start has been made to 2017 Olly! Good luck with this years projects.

Keith

3. Graham Phillips

Graham Phillips New Member

A truck mechanic's life is the life for me.
    About half way between Bewdley & Arley on the SVR
    This is the current situation with 55577.

[​IMG]

Jobs to do:
    Finish side planks.
    Finish one internal door frame and end planks and fit both internal doors.
    Make one end frame and panel.
    Finish roof planks.
    Fit four veranda doors.
    Make/repair seat boxes under duckets.
    Fit stove.
    Roof canvas.
    Lots of painting and little jobs, and some not so little, like the 21" bolts to hold the brake wheel pedestal down that Olly is making.

[​IMG]

4. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    It has been another productive weekend, 55577 has had some surgery on the corner posts of the van doors, and also on the end of the van, and these particular patches have been fitted, and the lads are now going about the business of hiding the joins. The floor is now pretty well done, with the finishing strips being screwed down in both verandas, while work is marching on with the cleaning and repainting underneath.
    Sunday, an opportunity presented it's self to push 17410's brake gear forward a good step. Her first set of brake gear is now back in position, repaired and primed, and the second lot is in the van ready for us to work on.
    Wish us luck
    Olly

ghost likes this.