If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage 80078

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 73129, May 26, 2011.

1. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's only about 53 miles and the Pwllheli portion generally only loaded to 3/4 coaches. The bunker wouldn't be half empty at that! It'd probably do the return trip.

2. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Was it really only that light? There are a few climbs, Friog and out of Penrhyndeudrath, but it's fairly flat I guess. For 53 miles it takes a long time to get to the end of it!

3. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I don't know why but I don't like Standard Four tanks very much. Possibly after going to SVR gala some years ago while only still inmy early teens, hopeing they use their home fleet but instead it was wall to wall Standard 4s was anoying. Plus having known the Swanage line since about 1997 it was fustrating to get a 4MT. However I think they possbly the best locomoitve in presevation very nearly. Plenty of power, but not too coal hungry, has the distinction of being an ex. BR engine. Shame to see 80078 out of use for now. They only loco which I think could be better would be the Standard 3MT but we have to wait to see what thats like. Or maybe the Ivatt 2MTs?

When I meant full story in my post at the beguining, I didn't mean the SR mag provided it, just I don't know what the full story is (should hve writtern't better)

Talking about their use on the Cambrain... would it be correct to say they saw use across the whole country in their short 15 years service life? The only place I could think off where they weren't was East Anglia....

4. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

to be honest, how much difference is there between the tractive effort of a standard 3 tank compared to a standard 4? or its smaller cousin the ivatt/standard 2 tank? i dont think that the standard 3 were that sucessful because the class 4s were a much better all round design ,this is why the ivatt 2 and standard 4 tanks survived till the end and found their way to barry where as most of the standard 3s were withdrawn early on and cut up had they servived a bit longer who knows , some might have been preserved

5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

It this it was more bad luck none were preserved, the last of the class lasted to 1967 and cut up in 1968.. Also in south wales, but a class 3 is somewhat more unusual amongst the masses of 2 and 4's, maybe it was considered a poor class 4 or an oversized Jinty ?

6. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Each Class was designed to do a specific type of job. For instance, all the Std Class 2 tanks were fitted with push/pull apparatus for branch line jobs.
    The Std 3 tanks were not withdrawn early. Withdrawal was spread between the years 1964-67. In fact, 82003 was not cut up until October 1968.
    As ADB968008 says, it was pure luck that none went to Barry. 32 of the Class were cut up in South Wales.

7. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

thanks, i was under the impression that all the class3 tanks were amoungst the first standards to be withdrawn or am i getting confused with the standard 2 tanks ? it is very unfortunate that none found their way to barry, as didnt some get used as empty stock shunters at clapham up to the end of steam in the south

8. std tank

Retired
    All the Std 2 tanks were withdrawn by the end of 1965.
    A number of Std 3 tanks were allocated to Nine Elms from November 1962 and, as you say, worked the ECS trains to and from Clapham Jct. 82019 and 82029 were finally withdrawn from Nine Elms in July 1967.

9. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

From memory one of the Std 2 tanks at Nine Elms was in BR green with an extra hand rail on the boiler and come from the western region.

10. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired
    I'm not aware that any of the Std 2 Tanks were sent to the WR although some of the 2-6-0s were. What you saw would have been a Std Class 3 tank.

Meic

11. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Plus i am pretty certain that bar 80135 in preservation, the only standard tanks to wear green were the 3MT's during the time they were WR based. Were they repainted pretty quickly or did they operate for some time on the SR in the green?

12. std tank

Retired
    I think you'll find that the green liveried locos stayed green until withdrawal. There was at least one green one at Patricroft, on the LMR, until withdrawal in 1966.

13. bristolian

bristolian Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Afternoon folks,

None of the 4MT Tanks carried Green when with BR, although some of the 3MTs did.

Very Best Wishes,
    Bob.

14. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Anyway, what colour do you all want 80078?

15. Staniers Hooter

Staniers Hooter New Member

Black will do just fine thanks.

16. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

IMR Indian red, with all the trimmings, chimney numerals, number painted on bunker rear, named, white rods. If matched with some crimson & cream coaches it'll look great!

How far should I retreat?

17. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Now I like that...need an excuse for some crimson and cream coaches down there...!

18. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Glad to see that the important colour debate has now started. Never mind the umpty thousands of pounds and hours needed to get to the position of being able to paint it...

19. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    As we all know, the amount of froth generated by something is inversely related to its actual importance to the operation of the locomotive...

20. nickt

nickt Member

Thanks for administerng a timely bucket of cold water......

If anyone would like to help the restoration of 80078, or any other of SLL's locos, they can find out how to here:

http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/Company/Shareholders_Scheme.html

BTW, just spent the day with six other volunteers preparing the tubes and flues for Sir Keith Park's boiler (degreasing, cleaning, polishing the ends) which are due to be fitted in a couple of weeks. It's coming together nicely.