If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Rumpole, Oct 10, 2012.

1. HerstonHalt

HerstonHalt Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Complete guess, but I'd expect the feeder trains to run to Swanage blocks with a new engine on each departure. Suspect the T9 and Std4 will cover those turns.
    The FS trains will need shunt releasing, presumably by an 08 or 33, and could be dragged back into the platform by whichever of the T9 or Std4 wasn't out on the feeder train which could then help the FS get away cleanly. It's a twisty uphill pull out of Swanage and I recall FS struggled getting away at times on WSR.
    Or use 419 or the Std2 to draw the FS train back into the platform if available?
    Doesn't seem overly difficult.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

2. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

I believe it's possible/probable that FS's trains may be banked within Swanage Station limits as it will be departing tender-first of course. 46521 is due to arrive today, and might be one of the locos in use, but will require inspection to ensure it's suffered no undue problems getting on/off the road vehicle.

3. Mogul

Mogul Member

I can confirm that the Weekly Operating Notice has made dispensation for uncoupled banking of trains out of Swanage. The banking engine will push to get started falling back either when it loses contact or intime to stop before the advanced starter (section signal). Whichever happens first. This is an unusual working for Swanage and I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.

No idea how the loco pack is being shuffled at the moment but I suspect 419 will make an ideal station pilot / banker with 80104 / 30120 on feeder / spare. With 46521 in the mix as well its going to be an interesting weekend.

:Updated:
    It's the 6 coach feeder service being banked. Scotsman with 7 on is considered man enough for the job.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    HerstonHalt and 2392 like this.
  4. 2392

2392 Well-Known Member

An interesting concept, as I believe that was the arrangement at Kings Cross in the days of old. The pilot N1 or N2 tank [whatever] would being the stock into the Cross uncouple, then once the train engine had coupled up at the other end would "bank" the train once the Guard had given the right away, as far as the platform end helping them on their way. The pilot would then be signaled off to whatever the next duty was..........

5. How long is the Ivatt gonna be there for?

Is it there only for the flying moneypit/scrapheap event ?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2019
  6. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks for all that. This is an event that is now definitely worth a miss - not because of the star attraction but simply because it's not the time to try and get a ride behind either the T9, the Ivatt or the Caley.

gricerdon likes this.
  7. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

According to it's Facebook page yesterday -
    "The Swanage Railway are pleased to announce the hire of LMS Class 2 2-6-0 Ivatt ‘46521’, coinciding with the visit of Flying Scotsman and the Spring Steam Up. The Ivatt will additionally be staying with the Railway through our busy Easter period and providing further strength to our home fleet locomotives throughout the remainder of April. 46521 is already on the move, and is expected to join the Swanage Railway tomorrow!
    46521, resplendent in British Railway’s Brunswick Green, will be joining us courtesy of our fantastic friends at the Great Central Railway and the LSLG. Built at Swindon in 1953, the Ivatt is a beautiful locomotive, and will fit in well working services between Swanage and Norden.
    Unfortunately SR U Class 31806 is now unavailable for service due a mechanical fault
    [axlebox(es)?] and has been moved to our Herston Works for maintenance; but do not worry, she will be back in Swanage for duty over the next couple of months! In line with this 31806 will not be appearing at our Spring Steam Up; however 46521 will join 419, 60103, 30120, 80126 [renumbered from 80104] and 33111 to still provide us with a fantastic mix of Scottish, Southern, Sulzer and *now* Swindon!
    Further information about 46521’s running days, as well as an updated timetable and workings for Spring Steam Up, will follow in just a few days .....
    "
    Haven't heard whether 46521 arrived today as planned so trusting it 'landed' safely.

8. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

M7s, Ivatt 2MTs, etc used to do similar duties at London Waterloo so Swanage appear to be recreating Southern Railway/Region type terminus workings - except banking will extend as far as the Swanage Advanced Starter/Section Signal rather than the platform end.

Wenlock likes this.
  9. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Seats remaining as at close of business 21st March:
    Friday 22nd (i.e. today) - 213; Monday 25th - 499 and Tuesday 26th - 580 = 1,292 available in total and mostly on first and last services of those days.

Incidentally, 46521 'landed' safely and was towed to Swanage by 33111 on Thursday around 15:30.
    Railcam Auto-Still arriving at Swanage: http://www.railcam.uk/stills/galler...oqOWM3YjQxNTA5MmM5ZThhZWFkODU2MWYyNDIzNzNhN2E

10. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Nice publicity for the Swanage Railway today on BBC Breakfast but despite Alan Pegler's daughter referring to FS as a steam engine, BBC's John Maguire still managed to call it a train. :rolleyes:

gz3xzf, green five and Kinghambranch like this.
  11. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    33.111 is performing the shunt release of Scotsman at present.

The Swanage Railway's other class 33, namely D6515, is hauling a railtour tomorrow. It runs light engine to Weymouth before running double-headed with a West Coast 33 to Crewe via Yeovil Jn, Bristol, Gloucester, STJ and Hereford. The tour originates from Crewe in the early morning hauled by the West Coast 33 with a 47/57 at the rear. <BJ>

1Z33 Crewe to Weymouth: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U53096/2019/03/23/advanced
    0Z33 Swanage to Weymouth: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U53097/2019/03/23/advanced
    1Z34 Weymouth to Crewe: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U53100/2019/03/23/advanced

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  12. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Around what time was this part on? I will have a look on iplayer later.

13. HerstonHalt

HerstonHalt Member

4 or 5 short live features every half hour or so throughout the programme. The last one with AP's daughter was within the last few minutes of the programme (08.45 ish?)

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

green five likes this.
  14. free2grice

green five likes this.
  15. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Wrong link for 1Z34 Weymouth to Crewe.
    Here is right one http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U53100/2019/03/23/advanced

16. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

"4 or 5 short live features every half hour or so throughout the programme. The last one with AP's daughter was within the last few minutes of the programme (08.45 ish?)"

Thank you both for your replies. Much appreciated. I found all of the little sections on the iplayer as it now has a handy preview picture above the status bar as you fast forward through the programme.
    Nice to see Railway Preservation's "super star" still attracting the crowds.
    Hope that the event goes well for Swanage and it gets a few of the visitors interested in volunteering.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

17. free2grice

Thanks. Link corrected.

Locos reported as 33.029 top 'n tail 47.851 for the 1Z33 outward leg . <BJ>

18. Hirn

Hirn Member

Would I be right to think that within station limits there would be no huge difficulties by way of special regulations by when the banking engine, having assisted, simply drops off the end of the train?

19. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Banking happens often at Victoria out of platform 2.

20. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    Yes and as far as Grosvenor Bridge