If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Rumpole, Oct 10, 2012.

1. oliversbest

oliversbest Member

Being interested in all matters railway I wonder if the Swanage Branch would be considered for an extended trial of the new "Ultra Light Rail" vehicles now being prototyped in the UK

2. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    https://www.railway-technology.com/news/revolution-demonstrator-vehicle-ironbridge/
    You mean Eversholt's hybrid Revolution train/tram being tested at Ironbridge?
    In some ways similar to the Parry People mover train/tram.
    The class 117 and 121 DMUs are basically ready to go for 2022 with the Wareham project (if it gets the go ahead). So a Revolution VLR trial will be limited.
    There could be a VLR Summer tourist service from Swanage station to the Pier to replicate what used to be there for clay and stone goods, some track remains, but sadly most has been built over.

3. 5914

5914 New Member

I would argue that the basis of my costs is fairly 'steady' - for instance it makes no assumption about contribution to fixed costs. Crew training is already fully possible on existing services, and route knowledge will only be necessary once regular services are running (the limited route knowledge until that point can, presumably be maintained in the course of engineering and testing movements). Given the assumption that there is no training need for such runs (otherwise they would, presumably, already be taking place to fulfil a particular training need), then I think it would be hard to justify the hire of an additional locomotive that would be limited in use on other services. The signalling itself would be able to cope with such an operation - but would require an additional signalman for Norden Gates. Therefore, my cost-base of loco, crew and signalman is I think the minimum - and less than the railway hiring in an additional locomotive for the task.

4. Andy Moody

Andy Moody Member

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I would not think so. Where would you keep it? There is very limited space as it is. I also doubt very much if NR/OR&R would permit it to run over the electrified section of main line between Worgret Jn and Wareham.
    The Swanage Railway is a steam tourist railway and the majority of it's passengers want to ride behind steam.

5. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

I agree totally.
    Also, I seem to recall that during the trial period it cannot operate in conjunction with 'heavyweight' (i.e. 'normal' ) trains so would be banned from the main line and, presumably, could only operate on the Swanage Railway if their trains weren't operating. Might this restriction continue even if trials are successful ? I wouldn't think the carbon fibre (or whatever it's made of) bodywork would stand up to a collision with a sixty year old Mk1 let alone more modern stock.
    I wonder how it gets on during the leaf fall season having disc brakes and being only 22 tons all up (5 1/2 ton axle load) I believe.
    Finally, I think the COVID-reduced staff numbers [several had to be made redundant to help reduce costs drastically last year] have got more than enough on their plate with existing and planned operations on the Swanage Railway.

Southbanker likes this.
  6. 80104

80104 Member

I believe it was 8 members of staff who were made redundant - approximately 20% of the paid workforce.

7. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Hopefully those made compulsory redundant have found other jobs. It might be with the appeals and passenger revenue returning some could be re employed?. So there will be enough staff and volunteers if life with vaccinations get back to normal with galas, dining trains and the Wareham DMU service starts.

I have posted about the very light train/tram in the Some lost rail routes may be 'restored' thread

8. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

That could be an interesting income stream :Yawn::Yawn:

A1X and Jamessquared like this.
  9. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

A quiet time (in terms of steam operations) meant I was surprised to hear a steam whistle this afternoon. A walk to the shed found 34028 in very light steam. IMG_7366.JPG

10. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    ghost, Johnme101 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  11. Wagoniester

Wagoniester Member

Eddystone sighted at Corfe Castle just now; could be mistaken, but I think something is missing?

screenshot_1636720125652.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    gz3xzf likes this.
  12. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Member

Looks a bit like a battle scar that she's trying to shrug off as 'nothing to worry about!'

13. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Maybe from the lift for the change of wheels (picture from the unofficial SR Facebook group). Some panels to be put back?
    [​IMG]

Johnme101 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  14. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Thanks
    If the lights trains are 6 carriages long again as last year, how does the loco get water if the current water tower position is setup for 5 carriage trains?.

15. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    It's only a 2 trip turn, so well within the tender capacity of a Bulleid or a Mogul.

16. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

An interesting contrast in approach at the KESR:

Marcia is one of our most popular engines. She might have less power than a gnat fart, but crews and visitors alike love her. If it is anything like last time she was running, she will be used at event days, and for footplate crew training. We used to bring her to Tenterden with a driver instructing, and firemen/cleaners who were looking for promotion, and practice shunting, etc.

17. Gladiator 5076

For those of a diesel persuasion. But for the modern lamp on 33111, the Purbeck Breezer and the SUV in the background could be the 1960's. The DMU of course was undetaking training runs as seem to occurs IMG_7379.JPG some Fridays.

Spike., echap, Jupiter and 2 others like this.
  18. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Any reason for the 33 & its train going right up to the buffers?

19. Gladiator 5076

There is a QM brake van at the buffers, I assume as last year for the generator for the lights train. I think the 33 is not actually attached to the set, it was not on Wednesday, there was shunting going on early last week which is why the set is pushed back.

20. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side

Thank you