If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Rumpole, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Andy Moody

Andy Moody Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    When Swanage was re-signalled in 2003, there was provision made, and still is for trains to be signalled into an already occupied platform by means of a calling on
    signal provided on the down inner home signal.
    When we ran the evening DMMU service plus the evening dining train, The DMMU train ran into the occupied platform 1 Bay as described above.
    Prior to the Re-signalling of Swanage, the bay platform was not even connected to the main line, all incoming trains ran into platform 2 and ran round the same as they do now. All trains crossed, as they still do now at Harmans cross.

2. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    I had planned a "passing image" at HX today with both locos facing boiler first. Note to self, look at the webcam or properly look out of the lounge window when the dining train goes out, as I ended up with the first image, which I have chosen as you can not see the coach with the repainted roof, (some will know what I mean). Add to that a car on its side between Afflington and Corfe causing traffic chaos, and the auto focus malfunctioning on the camera maybe I should have just stayed at home.
    Nice to see the mums got the tank for their lunch though. IMG_8498.JPG IMG_8520.JPG

3. Gladiator 5076

The final train of the day departing Corfe on Wednesday with the Bird Nest visible in the background, and the first train leaving Swanage on Thursday. We did not get the possible light snow overnight, but there were some flurries at the end of the day, despite the effort from the tank the strength of the bitter north wind is clear. IMG_8565.JPG IMG_8581.JPG

Sunnieboy, Johnme101 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  4. Gladiator 5076

One for any bus fans.
    I have been waiting a while for them to park the Hants and Dorset heritage livery bus next to the fence, they finally obliged over the weekend.
    5526 departs with the 16:30 to Norden whilst 31806 is also in steam over the pit.
    Eddystone on service trains today and with the tank due to return to the SDR on the 12th, not sure if this was its last working. IMG_8665c.jpg

A1X, CH 19, Bluenosejohn and 2 others like this.
  5. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

From the Southern Locos last update with Manston almost complete.
    "With any luck Swanage Railway will have three operational Pacifics for the summer season - quite an attraction, and one which should bring in many paying customers."
    Plus with 31806, SR will have 4 large steam locos to see it through the Summer season.
    There is no website for updates on 30053 currently in Herston workshop, but it may also be ready to steam this summer.

6. 007

007 Member

The M7 will absolutely NOT be ready for 2022.

7. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Normal workshop considerations, or has the strip down revealed more than expected?

Absolutely cracking old loco, No.53 .... and a very fortunate survivor from what I hear.

8. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    30053 has been in pieces for a while now. The Swanning Around newsletter showed work being done on her bogie.

It has been reported that the boiler intended for Sir Keith Park has been delayed, which is why the Spa got an extension to her current ticket for a few more months. Since this boiler and 30053 are at the same boiler contractor (the North Norfolk Railway) I can only assume 30053 has been affected by the same delays...

30854 likes this.
  9. kevpotts

kevpotts New Member

10. 80104

80104 Member

As regards the "Corfe Castle Nest" there is a seating area in the old cattle dock and IIRC additional seating down by the Lamp Shed (opposite end of the platform).

There is also seating on both platforms and in the waiting room (up) / waiting shelter (down).

As much as some of those posting want there to be full service catering (ie offering a wide range of drinks, meals and snacks) this is not viable given the level of competition in Swanage and Corfe Castle. Indeed whilst walking along Station Road in Swanage last week I noticed that planning application has been made to turn the former Moochers Shop (opposite Richardson Budgens) into a hot food takeaway. I havent counted for a while but there must be in excess of 40 outlets in Swanage where you can buy for example a sausage roll and a cup of tea.

Personally I would love there to be an old fashioned tea room at either Swanage or CC with vintage china giving a high quality premium priced traditional "afternoon tea" experience with home baked cakes and scones, a so called "Go To" venue but realistically this would require staff who were highly motivated and able to deliver that experience. That sort of commitment I think would only come from an "owner" prepared to give their all.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  11. Gladiator 5076

Nice to receive an email this afternoon about 2023 calendars, including a GWR one!
    First advert I have received this year from any organisation for a 2023 calendar.

12. oliversbest

oliversbest Member

13. oliversbest

oliversbest Member

over three hundred signatures on petition.........!!!

14. LC2

LC2 Member

IT
    Wow!!!! That's such a large number!!!!! (who probably used the Birds Nest once or twice a year on average).

To give it some context, if the petition was just open to people who lived in Swanage itself, that was 9702 in 2020, so 3%, if it were open to just SE Dorset, that's 300/47098 (0.6%), if it were open to just Dorset then 300/379791 (0.07%).
    But actually I guess it's open worldwide.

I do have to wonder what you have against the SR. They've obviously made a commercial decision that from their view point is sensible, but because it may inconvenience you on the odd occasion that you visit from the colonies, you need to beat them up about it every time you touch the keyboard.

Maybe we should start a go-fund-me to buy you a new drum to bang on...

15. oliversbest

oliversbest Member

I made no comment. merely passed on the numbers. but yes it is open world wide and that is why a wider POV is elicited.
    Lest see the numbers at year end

16. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

So another hundred or so people have signed it in the last couple of weeks since you last raised it … That’s a handful of people per day have taken an action that requires no more effort than a mouse click - it’s not exactly an incoming tidal wave of humanity waving placards and flaming torches, is it?

Tom

17. 80104

80104 Member

alternative context thats about 3 times the number of members of the Swanage Railway Trust who attend the Annual General Meeting.

Sorry I could not resist that.:)

Whilst disappointed at the loss of the BN Buffet at Swanage I am heartened though that a more commercial approach has been taken recognising that a kiosk in the booking hall was probably a better commercial proposition or at least more suited to the competitive environment of Swanage.

18. Gladiator 5076

Having just had to go to Boots I counted the number of places in Station Road where you can buy food and drink purely because I read your psot not long before I left home.
    So if you also include the Co-op and Budgens it is currently 9 with one requesting planning for a change of use to a cafe and one existing cafe now closed. This is without going into Institute Road where there are about another four or the pubs in the High Street.
    Swanage is not like Sheffield Park, Horsted Keynes, Grosmont, Bishops Lydeard or Embsay where competition does not exist, or at best is very limited and some distance off.
    All companies these day have to concentrate on their core business and I suggest a full blown catering operation is not it. Just because something worked in the past it does not mean it will in a 2022 world.

19. Brockenman

Brockenman New Member

Petition or no petition the buffet coach at Corfe is the perfect place,there you can watch the trains arriving and departing plus everything else at this wonderful station.It's previous resting place on the blocks at Swanage was not as good as when it was in the bay platform so the move to Corfe is right.

20. Cuckoo Line

Cuckoo Line Member

And how many would regularly spend money in it. As an occasional visitor to Swanage we much prefer to buy something on the way to the sea and eat it looking at the sea which I suspect were not alone in.

Nick C likes this.