If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Rumpole, Oct 10, 2012.

1. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The 4TC website is down and (unless anyone has more info) the only definite plan I can find is on the SR FB Dec 9 2021 "advent calendar" entry "Once the restoration is completed, we will be able to recreate the sight of a BR Blue Class 33/1 and a Blue & Grey liveried 4-TC working trains on the Branch - something that hasn’t been seen since 1972!" Although since then they also have the 5TCB buffet coach.

jwr4472 likes this.
  2. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Retention tank cost contribution is only for stock already running on Network Rail. CDL is a legal requirement so I'm fairly certain Network Rail don't contribute to that.

3. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

For the Worgret to Wareham section surely all they need to do is lock the toilet doors? They only need to worry about retention tanks if they plan to run trains further afield on the mainline.

4. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Am I the only one thinking some realism is needed here?! Full marks to Swanage Railway for attracting the necessary grant funding for the mainline connection and derogation for the DMU's, but that doesn't mean it's sensible for the TC to be destined for an extremely expensive mainline future, the bill for which I assume won't be footed externally.

I think their group have done very well getting this far and their aim to recreate a local diesel era push/pull train on the branch is both admirable and more importantly achievable. It would be a shame to spoil that with a leap towards mainline running with a questionable business case. After all, do SR need another "non steam" vessel to run to Wareham (or beyond)?

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Shaggy, SID125, Sunnieboy and 2 others like this.
  5. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    My understanding is that 4TC's cannot run on the main line in propelling mode unless the leading vehicle is not used by passengers due to issues over crashworthiness of propelled MK1 stock

6. Andy Moody

Andy Moody Member

Retired
    All Southern Region 1051 EPB 1956 CEP HAP, 1963 CIG VEP REP stock had Motor Generators, Amongst other thinkd they powered the lighting and compressor. The 4TC was unpowered and had to be coupled either to a 4REP or class 33/1 for Push Pull operation, As well as the 27 way jumper cable having to be connected The heating jumpers also had to be connected, that is why the class 33/1 was always preheating, I:E: the engine running fast even when statioery.

7. 5914

5914 New Member

From memory, the motor generator is powered by the high voltage line supply to provide the lower voltage required for auxiliaries (such as lighting, Driver-Guard communication etc).

8. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Thanks Andy and 5914. So the motor generator is basically a voltage changer?. Nowadays there are solid state circuitry that can do this, but if the motor generator worked well, good to preserve it as it was.

9. Dan Bennett

Dan Bennett Member

South Western Railway Fitter
    750V DC motor powering a 70V DC generator.

We aren’t aware of any faults with the MG set. However, thanks to the efforts of copper thieves, the coach needs a full rewire of the Control, Heating and ETH circuits.

And with regards to a 33/1 pushing a TC on the mainline, we aren’t aware of anyone having had that conversation with the ORR yet…we certainly haven’t. So the leading vehicle not being able to carry passengers is just an assumption.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    Andy Moody, twr12 and Morris_mad like this.
  10. Josh Voce

Josh Voce New Member

11. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

12. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

13. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correction, glad progress is being made

ghost likes this.
  14. 5914

5914 New Member

There was very definitely a strong opinion offered by a senior inspector when options were being explored within the feasibility stage of Project Wareham. However, people change and so do processes for approvals and derogations, so the answer may come back differently if asked again...

15. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Looking at the Brighton Belle project and crash worthyness was one of the issues.
    http://brightonbelle.com/history
    The design was considered to be safe, but MK1 coach design was not, the 4TC is based on MK1 design so currently always needs to be fronted by a locomotive on the mainline.
    For the gala push pull working on the LU 4TC will be acceptable on the Swanage branch line.

16. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Presumably stolen a while back?
    I see on the webcam the Swanage blue/grey 4TC brake coach is still at Swanage station. No updates on the FB 4TC page. Will the rewire be ready so the coach can run for the gala, or a long term project?.

17. Paul.Uni

Paul.Uni Well-Known Member

Both the Brighton Belle and Wareham DMU projects were developed when Mark 1 carriages were going to be severely restricted on the national network. These restrictions were never brought in.

Sent from my SM-A137F using Tapatalk

18. 5914

5914 New Member

I don't think that is correct. The regulations came into force with effect from 31st December 2002 (Reg 4) and 1st January 2005 (Reg 5):
    https://www.orr.gov.uk/guidance-com...lling-stock/mark-1-and-hinged-door-exemptions
    As with ROGS, the regulations did not apply to railways with a maximum speed of 40km/h or lower.

Regulation 6 provides ORR the authority to make exemptions, and there is an extensive list on their website. (Having exemptions issued would idicate that the regulations did come into force.

At the time when ToR and initial feasibility study was taking place for Wareham services, ORR indicated they would not not be likely to agree an exemption for a Mk1 coach to be a leading vehicle without significant modifications. Whilst I personally would have liked the conversations to have come to a different conclusion, that was the ORR position at the time.

It should be noted that some of these conversations were in the abstract (as SR did not then have a 4TC set!) and in the context of the time when Mk I stock was still being withdrawn from the mainline and was therefore a prominent public issue. However, the conversations were looking at all rolling stock options that might be possible/desirable.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  19. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

More than just a rewire, no brake pipes, all knicked whilst up at Butterly by metal thieves

20. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    If I may change the subject today we travelled on the 1215 Corfe Castle to Swanage returning on the 1520 . At no point on either journey or at the entry points were our tickets checked. We might as well as not paid our £54. Swanage Railway need to tighten up on revenue protection. Heaven knows how much money bus not being collected as todays experience is typical in our many visits here.

Sunnieboy likes this.