If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Rumpole, Oct 10, 2012.

1. brennan

brennan Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I believe that an old Australian definition of an engineer was " a bloke that could do for a quid what any fool could do for a fiver". We live in an age of inflated costs that must leave open to question the commercial logic of proceeding with a project of this nature. The T9 had a major overhaul in 2008 and in terms of annual mileage, hasn't done a great deal of work . The major issue ( other than the usual process of throwing money at the boiler), will be dealing with the cylinder block that has been on borrowed time since about 1960. Unless the NRM is prepared to accept either major surgery or completely new castings there's little point in proceeding. From the information that must have been recorded at the last major overhaul and the regular inspections since, it should already be possible to make a reasoned assessment of the extent of work required. However, if people want to subscribe their cash to the cause then that's their choice.

2. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

The cylinder block was successfully metal stitched in 2017/18 and then didn’t cause any further issues until expiry of the boiler certificate. The 563 group are optimistic that the original cylinder block can continue to be used without major issue.

Johnme101 and Sunnieboy like this.
  3. 007

007 Member

That is true, but we are also quite open to replacement should it be deemed necessary. What has come on in leaps and bounds in cast iron welding and that could change everything. Cast iron welding was used to stitch the block last time and all repairs held well until withdrawal. It was leaking steam up between the frames but again, this will be investigated.

Sunnieboy and torgormaig like this.
  4. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

Ia the NRM open to replacement though? I suppose that as long as the original was retained, it could be refitted at a later date to restore originality if required.

MellishR likes this.
  5. alexl102

alexl102 Member

I've always thought this with 4771 as well - couldn't they replace as long as the original can be refitted?

6. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've helped refit outside cylinders, and that is a right faff. Mind into boggling mode when considering replacing an inside cylinder block (and then removing it and replacing the original). As to the monoblock on 4771 - Gawd knows, but I doubt anyone would want to do it.
    Pat

7. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

The cylinders on the Bluebell's H class were metal stitched at a previous repair; the current overhaul will see a new set cast. It's a judgement that could only be made by removing and inspecting, at which point both the condition of previous repairs and the amount of metal left is apparent. Eventually you get to a point where further machining is no longer possible, in particular the valve faces.

Casting and fitting new cylinders aren't a technical blocker to an overhaul, but I can understand why you would want to disassemble the loco first to assess such a repair; it would be hard to form a good judgement just by non-destructive techniques (such as using an endoscope) or based on previous records. The worst outcome from spending a major sum on an overhaul would be for the loco to fail after a short period because a previously undetected weakness finally eventuated - i.e. you don't want to turn out a shiny loco and then have it fail three years later because the valve faces are end of life. In other words - if you are going to spend what is likely to be a substantial 6 figure sum on a loco, you really need it to run a solid 10 years, and ideally have an agreement in place to turn it round and get another 10 years out of it. As far as I am aware, the main reason why the Bluebell didn't hold on to the Bulleid Q1 many years ago was because it was felt to need new cylinders, but the NRM wouldn't agree a sufficiently-long loan period to make it worth replacing them. I think the railway wanted a 25 year loan period before committing to the expense of new cylinders. That kind of long-term return on investment is easier to justify on your own locos.

Tom

5944, Steve, Paul42 and 2 others like this.
  8. 007

007 Member

Cylinder block replacement in general has been transformed by the use of poly patterns so even that isn't that big a deal any more. The technical problem of wooden pattern making and the cost associated has clearly reduced as a problem but that's not to say it will be cheap, just cheaper! Any block replacement is obviously in agreement with the owner but we are a little while away from that decision.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  9. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

Such a shame, I’d love to see the Q1 running again, it must be over 25 years since it last turned a wheel in anger… I don’t know what it’s like to fire and drive one obviously but it always felt like it was the right size for the Bluebell (albeit not such a great match for the vintage stock).

Simon

Last edited: May 2, 2024
    Chris86 and 5944 like this.
  10. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

The NRM will be very aware of the cylinder block issue on the T9, and I would imagine. will have agreed to, if necessary, a new cylinder block being cast, as long as it's a direct copy of the original, they are not against the cylinder block being replaced, only that it has to be a casting, and exactly the same as would have been fitted, At the least you are looking at the boiler being lifted to give access to the block, and the rest of the chassis, including the drag box, which i believe was stitched also, but of course, nothing will be confirmed until the boiler has been lifted and the assessment carried out, Unlike 563, the T9 is a known item, its ran for several tickets now, and there should be no surprises apart from the items that are known about,

11. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

Slightly ironic day.
    I have been waiting for some time to get an image of a steam loco and the Wilts and Dorset red liveried bus that is often around.
    This afternoon (on my way back from my 5th visit to Boots for other peoples drugs in 4 days) the bus was in the yard on its own, dull day so sun not an issue.
    Big issue of course was that no steam today (or tomorrow according to railway FB page). 31806 had an issue yesterday as 33111 did the afternoon trains.
    With D6515 off on mainline rambles I guess if 33111 fails and no driver available is passed for the 50 then maybe the 08? That would be worth a ride.

12. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

I believe the railway might have at least two drivers passed out for 50026 workings.
    However, this weekend I think they are both rostered [one each day] to conduct Driver Experience trips on 50026 between Arne Road sidings and the SR operating limit at Bridge 4.
    The 11:30 slot this Saturday is the only one unfilled: https://buy.myonlinebooking.co.uk/swanagerailway/sessions.aspx?tid=18&cdate=04/may/24

13. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

The 08 was the back up loco

14. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    34028 looking superb in the sunshine today
    . Roadworks at Corfe finished or suspended for the weekend. Will have a ride to Swanage tomorrow

15. Woof Mk2

Woof Mk2 Member

Roadworks was for 3 weeks.....this being week 3 so its reasonable to think its finish....

16. Gladiator 5076

Yes cannot see then taking the scaffolding down for the weekend, and then putting it up after the Bank Holiday. Of course not really road works as such.
    That fun to come soon I think as I noticed going up to the MHR last week there are yellow spray paint markings on the road all the way from what I call Harmans Cross' answer to Mar-a- Largo (what I believe is the lottery winners house) and the gate out to Townsend Bridge. Dorset Council usually use white paint for road repairs, my guess is SGN working on the gas main as it keeps leaking. Should take a fair while if it is I am guessing.

Sunnieboy likes this.
  17. Sunnieboy

Sunnieboy New Member

Retired
    Mar a Largo love it, commutes via helicopter occasionally !

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

18. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    it has

19. Gladiator 5076

For those that like Class 50's 50026 at Creech Bottom on the return leg of the second driver experience trip this morning.
    Also noticed when I opened the blinds this morning the Class 24 arrived yesterday for the Diesel Gala. DSC_0281r.jpg

Matt37401 and Johnme101 like this.
  20. Andy Moody

Andy Moody Member

Retired
    When I drove to and from Harmans Cross on Saturday, I noted that markings were on both side of the road, so I am going to take a guess that it is for road resurfacing and repair the various pot holes and lets hope that the work is performed at night.