If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway Reconnection To National Network - Decision Time

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by nigelss, Jul 10, 2010.

1. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Fantastic news...now for a runround loop at Wareham and we'll be onto a winner :D

2. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I have to admit I didn't think it would happen, well done and hopefully this is a showcase for other councils.

3. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    Excellent news.

4. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    When you look at the struggles that the preservationists, rather the revivalists, have had since 1972, it is good to see their determination being rewarded. I always tell friends heading that way to take a ride. Even total non-enthusiasts admit to loving the atmosphere of Corfe Castle station.

But I suppose the logical next step is to get Swanage onto the electrified network; a step too far for most of us! Settle for a good old 2-6-4T - or a class 33 if you want to be modern. Either way, let's make sure we use it.

5. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Well, congratulations are in order for all concerned. The Swanage Railway has certainly come on leaps and bounds over the last few years, and deserves all the recognition it gets. Considering that both bodies have indicated the funding source, I think we're on to a positive outcome as regards the type of 'support' the railway's getting. I wonder if we will see regular steam haulage from Swanage to Wareham one day?

6. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

7. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Fantastic news. I must admit I was doubtful, but times like this I'm happy to be proven wrong!

8. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

I've visited Swanage by rail in each of the last two years, once using Norden P&R, and once using the free (to NT members) car park at Corfe Castle.
    If spending your day near the beach or pier, you really don't need a car in Swanage at all. If I were Swanage & District Chamber of Commerce I'd consider a well-publicised subsidy on all SR family return tickets bought at Wareham or Norden during the two summers immediately following a timetable upgrade. Get people to try a day in Swanage, and get them into the train and off the A351. I'm sure that anyone with a Bus. Admin. degree could work out a win-win formula for recirculating part of the SR's revenue on these tickets to the CoC.

I'm delighted to read on the SR website how positively they view the forthcoming increased demands on their railway. Finding a path for an M7 and two coaches in between extra DMU services is, frankly, a problem that many preserved lines must wish they could have. I'd be happy to contribute to any appeal for extending the loop at Norden, or whatever else might be needed to run a more intensive timetable.

9. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Are steam services likely to be extended at all, or will they stick with Norden to Swanage?

10. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

So far as I'm aware the costs of extending steam any further than Norden are well out of the project's means at the moment. Who knows what the future might bring though? These are my views however and I don't know the 'official' views/plans.
    The original proposals, during the regime of the late Strategic Railway Authority, involved some form of diesel multiple unit operation, during a trial period of three years, between Swanage and Wareham. This trial was to be supported financially by the SRA - but they were abolished.
    So the SRA have long gone and the Worgret Junction/Wareham signalling upgrade is taking much longer than (then) hoped. Dorset County Council's Class 117 DMU's have been out of main line service for many years and will need quite a bit of refurbishment/upgrading to meet current Group Standards. Traffic has been so busy lately that we've had to add strengthening coaches this week to run two 6 coach rakes [instead of two 5's] to cope with demand - so not sure what effect Wareham trains would have on this.
    There are many other aspects to extending services, including steam to/from Wareham, but at least the new Signalbox at Corfe Castle is coming on well [eventually linking with Network Rail signalling] and is still planned to open early in 2011.

11. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

Having seen a YouTube of how you got 60163 across the minor road west of Norden station (volunteers with red flags), I guess that one sizeable expense consequent on a Swanage - Wareham timetable would be barriers and lights there. Is that right, and who would be paying?

12. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Could you go further up the line but not as far as Wareham? I know running round at Wareham is neigh on impossible atm.

13. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

I don't think steam trains terminating at Wareham is an early option for SR, as their locos are unlikely to be exempted from mainline equipment requirements, even though it's less than 2 mainline miles to Wareham station. "Where and how could we easily let passengers from Wareham change to our steam services if they want to?" is a more relevant question.
    The answer might even be "At Corfe Castle rather than Norden", but at either place, some reconfiguring of shunting arrangements will be needed.
    Changing times coming up at the SR then. I wish I lived closer, I'd volunteer like a shot.

14. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Quite easy......run into the down platform, then stock into down sidings. Would have to create a runround (done very easily). Down train arrives in platform, discharges punters, then departs to Weymouth. SR train out of sidings, picks up punters and then departs for Swanage.

Chaging trains at Noren/Corfe is not a good move as punters will have to change twice...Wareham and CC. Fare paying punters wont like that.

15. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

But Lewisb06, will NR allow SR steam locos, with no mainline ticket and none of the modern standard train control systems, to run into Wareham station? I think not but correct me if you know different. Imho it'll be a non-preserved DMU job or nowt in the beginning, so steam buffs WILL need to change somewhere on the SR.
    There is of course the theoretical opportunity for SR - or more precisely Southern Locomotives - to get their two Pacifics mainline certified and earn money on railtours as well as running into Wareham day in, day out. But will that really bring a return on the considerable investment, and time in the workshops, needed?

16. Dan Bennett

Dan Bennett Member

South Western Railway Fitter
    well swanage is about to get a mainline registered 33.....

17. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Who knows what the future will bring. I wonder if there's enough room to fit the M7 with TPWS and OTMR?

18. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    I wasnt referring to steam loco's in general. Was more trying to answer the question of running round loco hauled sets.
    There is quite a bit of time before this all happens anyway.
    Joe Public, with their familes and buckets and spades, will not want to change at Wareham and then again at Norden.
    If NYMR can run into Whitby what is stopping SR running steam and or diesel into Wareham?.....

19. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Well its mainline registered.....cant remember its TOPS number

20. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    There's a whole lot of difference between the NYMR venturing on to the end of a little used branch line and the Swanage running on to a relatively high speed double track main line. Having said that, there should be no insurmountable reason why not, given sufficient finance (a key factor).

I'm sure that the Swanage will not simply be wanting the connection without already having a game plan in mind, whatever that is.