If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway Victorian Weekend 22-24 March

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Paul.Uni, Jan 19, 2024.

1. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Had a top day out at the Swanage railway today some travelling and linesiding which was really enjoyable timekeeping was spot on and the rides behind the victorian engines was a joy even in the Dmu listening to the last train of the day which was 65 and the U 65 was allowed to do most of the work and sounded superb on the climb to Harmans Cross

2. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    We enjoyed an excellent day at the gala yesterday. Due to the slick operations of the railway, all trains ran to time.

The sight and sound of the O1 and T3 double-heading on the first train at New Barn was a joy. Filmed in glorious light, we were well impressed.

Then it was off to Swanage to catch the 11:30 service to Norden. The train was made up of 5 coaches and the T3 appeared to take the load in it's stride. A completely different situation to when the loco was first introduced. The latest engineering modifications and the crew's new found driving techniques have obviously paid divdends. Well done.

After a round trip behind the stunning O1, albeit hauling a 3 car dmu, we returned to the lineside.

The day was simply brilliant. A huge thank you to all at the Swanage Railway. <BJ>

3. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

Very enjoyable day today, with the trains fuller than I expected for the Sunday and day it was very difficult by public transport. Although I am sure the railway would have hoped for a higher turnout.
    Highlight was the O1 and the U on the last service, although around Quarr the fine progress slowed, I think I may of heard the crews mentioning a snatching coupling between the locos when I bailed at HX having had to drive out there after lunch to avoid risking missing the hourly bus back from Corfe if it ran late.
    Whilst the DMU may not photographically great deputising for the Mk1's I rather enjoyed what is basically an observation car view from the driving car behind the loco.
    I will try to upload some images from the three days when I have had chance to sort through them.

4. alrohomer

alrohomer Member Friend

Retired IT employee
  5. Andy Moody

Andy Moody Member

Retired
  6. brennan

brennan Member

I visited on the Sunday. A very well run event on a splendid railway that , seemingly forgotten by many critics, has risen from nothing in the face of adversity from the then authorities. I think a few more passengers would have been welcome as some services were sparsely patronised. But, well done to all.

7. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

A few images from the 3 days of highly variable weather, dipped in and out on Friday and Saturday and rode the trains on Sunday. Includes the rare sight of the O1 on the three Mk1's.
    My only criticism was someone could have washed the screen on the DMU drive cars.
    Talking of DMU pleased to see that it can be used as coaching stock without the CDL and hence the engines running, I would have expected 25 Cabot Square to have made something CDL fitted a compulsory use even on an HR DSC_0063R.jpg DSC_0071R.jpg DSC_0096R.jpg DSC_0112R.jpg DSC_0121R.jpg DSC_0136R.jpg DSC0074R.jpg IMG_3514R.jpg IMG_3538R.jpg IMG_3541R.jpg

twr12, John Petley, ykin01 and 2 others like this.
  8. peckett

peckett Member

340 mile round trip from home .Had two excellent days ,I didn't get time to use my £20 ticket .Haven't had time to prosses m B/W film as yet. Three photo's attached. 34028 entering Harmans Cross,65/31806 on the last train ,Swanage station ,both Sat'. 563 with Corfe Castle in the background. Sunday.

Attached Files:

MuzTrem and Sunnieboy like this.