If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage - Wareham / Purbeck Community Rail Partnership October'11 minutes

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by nigelss, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    This is where an integrated transport policy should be hatched. When I last went to the Swanage for the SLL shareholders' meeting last October, I decided to do something a bit different and get off the train at Bournemouth and catch the bus via Sandbanks to Swanage, rather than wait almost 45 minutes at Wareham station for the next Wilts & Dorset bus to arrive. Having done so, I arrived at Bournemouth bus sation, only to see the bus arrive, everyone decamp and the driver walk off, shouting at the substantial queue that the bus had broken down, and they'd have to wait an hour. In consequence, I caught the next bus to Poole, thus catching the Wareham bus. I arrived at Swanage nearly two hours later than planned. The main problem as I see it are that bus services are surprisingly infrequent at around one per hour from Wilts & Dorset, and therefore do not connect with trains. As such, seasonal peak travel would be made a lot easier if the railway had a diesel service to Wareham, and the railway would be justified in charging extra for journeys beginning at Wareham. I can see why locals may not relish using the railway as a means to get to Wareham to do their shopping, but for trips to Poole, Weymouth and Bournemouth, the railway is still the quickest, most direct means of doing so. Therefore, if buses are timed to coincide with the arrival of trains at Wareham, the town would benefit from the introduction of heritage diesel services. However, I feel that locals will still use the bus for their journeys to Wareham out of convenience.

2. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A train service to Wareham and beyond (either by connection or better by through working) might at least encourage the local bus company to get its act together, but probably the best reason to reinstate a through service beyond Worgret Junction would be holiday traffic. The ability for holidaymakers to go to Swanage by train without having to change onto a bus for the final leg would surely benefit Swanage's holiday trade.

Local shopping and commuter traffic from Swanage is unlikely to flourish unless trains can run through to Poole or preferably Bournemouth.

3. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

I realise it doesn't help with SLL's October meeting but during the 2011 Peak season Wilts & Dorset initiated a 30 min interval service between Poole & Swanage (via Wareham) and a 20 min interval service between Bournemouth Interchange and Swanage (via Sandbanks Ferry). I haven't heard if this was successful or if it will operate again during this year's main School holiday period.
    I presume W&D operate (generally) hourly services for the rest of the year, from Swanage to both Poole and Bournemouth, as they perceive that frequency covers demand. Also, I believe, W&D receive a subsidy from Dorset County Council for 'social' services [those buses that carry only a few passengers].

4. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
  5. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
  6. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    It is indeed very good news. I understand that BP were very conscious of leaving a 'legacy' in Purbeck on the sale of the Wytch Farm oilfield to Perenco, and making such a significant contribution to the future of the Swanage-Wareham rail link is a real and sustainable way of doing so.

7. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

Yes that is good news about the crossing. Probably only fair that BP pays for it though - there is only a need for a level crossing because of the access road which BP built to their oil field.

8. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

When BP sought planning permission to build the road to Wytch Farm part of the conditions that were put in place was that they had to pay for/ install a crossing at Norden.

9. swanrail

swanrail Guest

and pay for any on going maintenance??? I thought thats what they had agreed to do?

10. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

Yes that was always part of the planning conditions for BP building the road. They seem to be putting a spin on it to make it sound like they are paying for the crossing out of the goodness of their hearts. In reality they are just fulfilling their legal obligations, and tidying up loose ends now they have sold Wytch Farm.

11. nigelss

nigelss Member

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this but anyway...

The January 2012 minutes can be found here https://www.dorsetforyou.com/media.jsp?mediaid=172701&filetype=pdf. They were approved on the 4th April. Notwithstanding that there will already have been another meeting since this one, there's some interesting stuff, for example in the business plan section,

"JS stated that NR signalling design permits 40 mph running from
    Motala to Worgret based on previous remits. BE supported
    provision of a service meeting the needs of local people and not the
    provision of a ‘top-up’ service to the steam train..."

Could be some squares to circle!! ;-)

Best wishes,
    Nigel

P.S. Sorry for the link format but I don't know how to get the URL embedded and just display something sensible for the link.

12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I personally find this a bit more worrying...

No business case ??? How can you move forwards without cost justification and a documented viable plan ?

13. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    The fact that "SR (presumeably Swanage Railway) will be invited" as opposed to being seen as essential and integral part could also be worrying - remembering who I believe the landlords of the Branch are.

Steven

14. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I'd be more surprised if there was to be honest, its no mystery why heritage lines steer away from trying to offer a public transport service even out of their own resources. Hopefully the Wareham service will be run as a trial, testing the market while guaranteeing the Swanage a full mainline connection.

Chris

15. Luke Bridges

Luke Bridges New Member

Correct me if i'm wrong, but when I was last down at swanage they do run a "public transport service" in the way of the park and ride from norden. They also run late night dmu services during some periods because of this park and ride scheme. Surely this is good practice so they can get it right when running to wareham.

16. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

While that's true, from what's been said previously the proposed service will be run by an outside operator, presumably using their own staff and rolling stock - almost certainly making it more expensive to run, especially with the burden of mainline running as well.

Chris

17. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Chris,
    I'm a Swanage member but not involved with 'management' in any way. I understand it is proposed to progress matters on a "softly, softly" basis and, when appropriate, operate a trial service to see if what was proposed (many decades ago when British Rail still 'ruled') is still possible/viable/etc. on the privatised railway network. Whether an outside operator is used has still to be decided I believe. Peter

18. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

19. nigelss

nigelss Member

I really should change the thread title!

Paragraph 2.12 in the minutes of a meeting of the Overview and Scrutiny Group of Purbeck District Council on 29th May 2012 makes for some interesting reading. I'm unsure to what extent one can copy such documents and I'm rubbish at paraphrasing material so please excuse me for just posting a link. See http://www.dorsetforyou.com/media.jsp?mediaid=173405&filetype=pdf

Best wishes,
    Nigel

20. DH34105

DH34105 Member

Thanks for the link Nigel - to a large extent the paraphrasing has already been done in preparing the minutes so perhaps best to give the link - interesting times! DH