If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Talyllyn Finances

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by brennan, Oct 19, 2016.

1. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Only if you are up before touring caravan hour!

PH

Forestpines likes this.
  2. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

I don't recall ever being stuck behind a caravan in North Wales over several recent visits. Roads seemed to me to be quiet and well-made.

andrewshimmin likes this.
  3. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Once you get over the watershed (between streams flowing to the Severn or the Dovey} the number of alternative routes is severely reduced and if you get caught behind something, you are caught!

Paul H.

michaelh likes this.
  4. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

Last time I was up there (May earlier this year) we came back east from Dolgellau past Cross Foxes following a caravan - being towed by some 4x4 thing that shall we say was doing a good impression of one of the stars of the Talyllyn with the amount of steam it was putting out - finally stopped at the summit of that nasty little climb that seems to catch everyone out.

That said I agree that the road surfaces up there put the ones round Bath to shame - very smooth. We go up there fairly regularly as we have friends up there, and its just a case of getting there when you get there - if you end up following something there is little chance of passing it but most of the time you keep moving. I just treat it as part of the holiday - accept that there will be next to no phone reception and feel the stress levels drop as you adjust to the slower pace of life.

5. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Depends where you are coming from. I always thought travelling from the Chester direction was pretty good for non-dual carriageway roads. And still is. You can easily average 45-50 mph along the A5104 (provided there are no caravans in front.)

6. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired

From here in Droitwich it's 65 miles and a pretty consistent 95 minutes to the WLLR via Kidderminster and Shrewsbury - nice for a day out. Tywyn is a further 50 miles which can take anything up to about 90 minutes - too far for a comfortable day out.

7. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    We travel to the area quite regularly as we have family nearby.
    There roads are not "pretty bad", they are very good roads. They are, of course, minor (i.e. suitable for the population levels and traffic on most days of the year) and in places steep and bendy (what with all the hills and all). But they are good roads, and very scenic.

There seems to have developed on recent posts a general complaint that the TR is inaccessible and in a godforsaken/obscure location.
    Whereas, of course, it is one of its biggest attractions for many it is situated in a fairly remote and spectacularly beautiful area away from population centres....

That is also why it survived - too obscure to be noticed by anyone anywhere important and closed down in the 1920s and scrapped.

But, no, it is not really within a day trip from anywhere, its visitors have to be people staying in the area. Of whom there are a lot fewer than there were once.

8. Platform 3

Platform 3 Member

In my experience, travelling from the West Midlands to the Tallylyn for a day trip is possible, so long you go by train and don't mind staring out of the window for a bit. If you're clever with tickets it doesn't cost too much, and the Talyllyn will give you a discount as well.

9. Reading General

I think I'm a bit spoilt with our Irish roads. The distances you guys are quoting as being a long way seem small to me, I regularly drive to Cork City, pick up my Son and return home...that's about 70 miles plus the bit crossing the City (twice) in about 1 hour 45 mins. The beauty of quiet roads. But I would have thought the actually Welsh bit of the journey would be comparable in terms of time .

10. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

The Tal-y-llyn is one of my favourites, and one that I'd return to often given the chance. It is however more remote than many of the other railways in the area, and for someone looking for a day out with the family on a steam train then depending where you are coming from there are more convenient choices. The roads are not bad for what they are, but some parts are slow, and traffic is a problem. Caravans have been mentioned, but there is also farm traffic which never sees any reason to rush, and delivery lorries that can't. As someone else has said you need to just relax and take it as you find it, and enjoy the views. Take care if travelling with Children prone to travel sickness (been there, got the bucket...)

It depends where you are coming from. I used to live in Bethesda (near Bangor) and worked in Caernarfon for the highways dept. I did at lot of work around Tywyn and the journey down from the north could take up to three hours at times in high holiday season. The cafe at Abergynolwyn Station was useful for lunches though! The roads between Caernarfon and Porthmadog have been improved, but that wasn't the slow bit! I now live in Shrewsbury and the journey is easier from there, but even easier to get to the WLLR, Bala, Severn Valley, Llangollen, Telford, Cambrian and possibly even Porthmadog. Tywyn is accessible by train and that would be my preference if going by myself

The relevance of this is that those travelling from the east have choice, likewise so do holiday makers staying in North Wales. Those staying in the Aberdyfi / Tywyn / Fairbourne area are fewer (and many are returners who may not make regular visits to the railways). I think the Tal-y-llyn does what it does very enjoyably - perhaps economies could be made, but I'm no judge of that. It's in a beautiful part of the country, and that adds to it's appeal.

But the thought goes through my mind that most preserved railways can only do all that they do because enthusiasts dig into their pockets and give up their time to make it happen. Let's face it - we like playing trains!

Steve B

11. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

As to the general merits of the Talyllyn Railway, which merits (or lack of them) is symptomatic of the plummeting passenger journeys since the peak of the early 1970s), this is rather off topic.

Until the train reaches Dolgoch woods approaching Dolgoch, the line has no scenic merit whatsoever. Dolgoch station is in a stunning setting, and worth a break of journey to explore the falls.

You know my views on Abergynolwyn so I wont repeat them.

It is also well worth breaking the journey at Nant Gwernol and exploring the walks. The well researched will explore the remains of the slate mine workings. However compare this to a visit to the Corris and Aberllefenni, or Llanberis, or steaming past the old workings at the Bleanau Ffestiniog end of the Ffestiniog. There is very little left of Bryn Eglwys due to the Forestry Commision, and the danger of the collapsed workings, and the purchase by the TR of slate from the former quarry buildings that secured their non existence today.

Cheers,
    Julian

paulhitch likes this.
  12. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    And therein lies the essence of it all. With the exception of a few, such as the Torbay & Dartmouth, the raison d'etre of all heritage railways is for we, the volunteer/member, to play trains. Every hobby costs money to pursue and we are lucky that we can con Joe Public into contributing often large amounts for us to pursue ours. As long as those that love the Talyllyn continue to pay for their enjoyment, it does not really matter about the business case. and whether the WIBN ideas should be consigned to the dustbin.

huochemi and WB2624 like this.
  13. Reading General

"no scenic merit whatsoever". What did you expect? herds of Wildebeest sweeping majestically....?

14. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I am afraid I agree with @jma1009 Much the same is true of the Rheidol below Capel Bangor.

PH

15. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

And of just about every scenic railway that goes from coast into mountains, as it gets clear of the flat ground that people built on. The first few miles out of Fort William heading towards Glasgow are some of the most boring railway I know, before the railway gets going into the mountains proper. However, I prefer to think of such scenery as the appetiser for what is to follow.

16. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Active volcano?

17. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

I have to admit it's nearly 20 years since I visited, but personally I think these criticisms of the scenery are a bit harsh. I recall camping at Rhydyronen and walking to and from Tywyn using the footpath that follows the railway roughly from Rhydyronen to Pendre; and I thought the countryside was lovely, particularly with the tiny halts by that stretch of the line. There are many lines with much more dull scenery, in my subjective opinion.

Reading General likes this.
  18. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I would agree but they tend to be easier to reach.

Paul H

Forestpines likes this.
  19. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

yes. indeed, it explains why Torbay is such a popular destination. ;)

Some years ago, the mid 1970's from memory, Torbay had very large numbers of tourists from The Netherlands. In fact in one small Devon town ever other car on the road had a Dutch registration it seemed. I met many of these visitors and all had the same answer to my question, which was "what brings so many of you here?". The answer was the Torrey Canyon episode.
    When the Torrey Canyon hit the rocks all arms, both sides of the Western Approaches, were thrown in despair at the thoughts of tourists being deterred from visiting. It just goes to show how what can appear a disaster often is not that which was expected. The Dutch tourists still come in large numbers.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    zoot horn rollo and paulhitch like this.
  20. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

35B, MuzTrem, LesterBrown and 3 others like this.