If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Talyllyn Railway Young Members

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Talyllyn07, May 31, 2010.

1. Talyllyn07

Talyllyn07 Member

hello one and all,
    just a quick mesg to bring news of the Talyllyn young members and the fact that on Satuday the 29th of May a number of them pushed one of the Talyllyn brake vans from Tywyn Wharf to Nant Gwernol a total distance of 7 1/4 miles in a total time of 2 Hrs 41 Mins and in doing so Raised funds for the YMG (which will now be put back into the Railway in a number of ways) a running total so far of £1700 which is a brilliant effort by all.

further to this the Young Members will be holding a Young Volunteers day where (as far as possible!!) the Talyllyn Railway will be run by the under 25s. It will be a green day in the Railways timetable so five passenger trains leaving Wharf during the day but with things happening from Driver Experiance Freight trains leaving Tywyn bound for Brynglas (which are still for sale) Diesel Driver for a fiver inbetween Abergynolwyn and Nant Gwernol a *Steam loco on the Wharf Edge giving footplate rides to mention just a few things going on! not forgetting the main fact of the day which will be to show the outside world just how well the under 25s can run a Railway and trying to attract some new Volunteers to come and volunteer on the Talyllyn.

if you like the sound of this and want to know more about the Talyllyn Railway Young Members Group or the Young Volunteers Day then dont hesitate to contact:

Andrew Thomas at steamleek@hotmail.com

cheers

Andy

* still to be confirmed!!

2. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    What's the date for the Young Volunteers Day ? :D

3. Talyllyn07

Talyllyn07 Member

its going to be the 28th of August :-D coming down?

4. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'll see where I am.

5. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    May well head down and stop off enroute to the WHR. I'll see how the summer turns out. One of a few railways I've always hoped to visit at some point and I know one of the volunteers there.

Sounds a really good idea.

Regards
    Duncan

6. Mike Corris

Mike Corris New Member

I have always admired the TR for their efforts in involving youngsters.

I am therefore delighted to be part of the team at the Corris who are hosting the Tracksiders at Maespoeth Junction this Saturday. The visit last year was a great success and we have a wide range of tasks on the list so hope another enjoyable day is had by all.

The timetable suggests it is a non operational day but no 7 is being steamed and I presume that passengers can travel even if not part of the visit should anyone be passing.

7. Mike Corris

Mike Corris New Member

The Tracksiders from the TR came along to the Corris on Saturday and both sets of volunteers had a great day. The TR people worked extremely hard and a good number of Cr volunteers joined them in running trains and other roles, most important of which was providing an endless stream of resfreshments.

Some photos can be seen on the Corris website...

http://www.corris.co.uk/photo_welcome.htm

Thanks again to all at the CR & TR but especially Paul Bailey on the Corris for his efforts in setting up the visit.