If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tangmere Question

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by pnemickey, Apr 3, 2009.

1. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

seing as she is vertually the mainstay of the cathederal expresses in the south and no dought earn WCRC money i would hope that she will be retubed i cant see her going to a preserved railway ,i expect that WCRC will get her in and overhaul her as soon as her 10 year ticket is up , its a strange quick of fate that she works most of the time with the green train i for one would never had seen this years ago, mostly because the idea was that she would have her own dedicated stock but its strange when you think that all the engines that have run most with the green train turn out to be 34016, 73096 and 34067 , how i would have loved to had seen a rebuild / unrebuild double header on the green train

2. 76079

76079 Member

Looks absolutely magnificent, a real credit to all involved.

Im not one to use stunning and Bulleid in the same sentance, but she does look incredible

3. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Is there any reason why 34046 "Braunton" won't take over the Cathedrals Express once she has been mainline certified? I can see 34046 covering the Cathedrals if and when Tangmere is possibly retubed/overhauled?

4. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

So when did 34073 249 Squadron go main line. #-o #-o #-o #-o

Talking about 34073 maybe it would be a good opportunity for WCRC to buy 34073 and return her back to main line service or possibly use the boiler from 34073 and speed up the time it takes to overhaul 34067

5. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Where has 73069 been hiding??

Why would WCRC want to put 34073's boiler on someone else's loco?

6. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

In my back garden.
    :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

7. Rander

Rander New Member

Hmm! Good question! Who actually owns Tangmere, by the way? Can't remember who Ian Riley sold it to (and can't be bothered to look through the old railway mags!)

And now for a general plea of help... Anybody take down the coach numbers for the Carnforth to Southall move yesterday? Using photos on the net, I have worked out the consist as the following -

35518, 99723, 99311?, 99993, ?????, 99352, ?????

If anyone could confirm those and the two which I can't identify, that would be great.

8. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    For one, I'm glad I had a trip behind Tangmere earlier this year on 24 January, the noise of it going up the Folkestone Harbour Branch was absolutely worth the £200 spent overall to do it! It's taken me all this time to even see 34067, so that's another one on the list of copped locomotives!

9. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I seem to think he sold it to a unknowen bidder who has kept his name out of it and WRCR deal with the mainline side of things.

10. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

From memory I think the buyer was reported as being a business friend of David Smith who is not necessarily an enthusiast but was convinced by David that 'Tangmere' would be a good investment. WCRC, as said previously, handle all of the mainline stuff and hence I very much doubt that it'l be off the mainline for long-look at how often 48151 has been off in it's mainline career for example.

11. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

It may seem odd saying this but really there is a shortage of steam locomotives from London.

34067 and 35028 are pretty much the only 2 engines working from here, and certainly are taking all the money off the table.

35028 only does the VSOE, leaving all the other work tp 34067.

Given most of the work is from Victoria, or occasionally Waterloo, the two engines are most appropriate.

London has occasional interlopers (30777, 70013, 60019) but another steam locomotive based in London could certainly take a share of the cash without affecting 34067's share... i'm surprised no other locomotive owners have seen the amount of business being picked up here.

12. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    I presume this may be down to the difficulties in getting a tour started from a London Terminus. The situation probably follows that currently found in many places of work where there may be more than enough work for an extra staff member, but the current volatility of the market dictates that its better to be prudent than take the risk of employing someone extra.

13. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

given that Tangmere has at short notice covered for 2 failed locos praise should go to everyone concearned with the operation of this loco, getting the support crew to be availible at what was probally very short notice must have not been easy, gatting the paths organised for the moves must have been a right headache

When you look at the flexibility of this loco,, it can go anywhere that can take its axle loading from Devon to Scotland
    i bet WCRC are impressed with it , it has been the very picture of relibility i can only think of one occation when it had a serious failure iknow i am harking back a bit now, but i can remember when city of wells went main line didnt a lot of so called experts say that these would be too complicated to be reliable for a main line loco?

14. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I totally agree, if I had the chance i'd be owning and restoring 34073 to join it !

15. pnemickey

pnemickey Member

Archaeologist
    I notice that Tangmere is now in charge of thursdays great britain II tour up to Preston, replacing 46201. 46201 was due to be returned to Crewe on thursday evening, with Tangmere being looked after by WCRC, will she likely return south in 46201's path or go up to Carnforth?

16. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Two reasonably serious failures of 34067 were the air-brake issues during the first year, and the broken combination levers that pierced the bottom of the oilbath. These hiccups aside, 34067 locomotive continues to be the epitome of reliability, and has been used intensively since 2003, and is still going strong. All credit for her custodians in maintaining this outstanding locomotive. I for one hope to have another railtour behind her after her next overhaul!

17. PVRC&WSUPT

PVRC&WSUPT New Member

Yes it would seem that 34067 is certainly clocking up some miles this year. Following on from Sundays removal of 5029 Nunney Castle at Newton Abbot from the down Royal Dutchy. I was amazed to see the Great Briton II thunder past Hackney sidings at Newton Abbot with 34067 Tangmere piloting 70013 Oliver Cromwell at 18.59 this evening. Nunney was observed in the distance at the station end of Hackney sidings in light steam with support coach. Possibly being made ready for movement down to the TDR for attention? Tangmeres crew must have pulled out all the stops to get the loco up and running and down to Cornwall? to join 70013. Well done lads. =D> =D> =D>

18. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

The way Network Rail are going with their lack of control of gauge, only original Bulleids and Black 5s will be able to run anywhere soon!

19. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    Tangmere should really take over the rest of the trip now... Southern pacific to Kyle...

Tangmeres usefulness makes me laugh at Hoskings comments about not wanting 19 to do more than 250 miles in a day... Tangmere will surely be looking at 1000 or more in 3 days...

20. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Not to mention it came down from Carnforth to Southall for this trip last weekend.