If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tangmere

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Live Steam, Sep 4, 2011.

1. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

It is also possible that the RAIB website is not completely up to date. However, you may be right and they (RAIB) don't formally investigate. The ORR may do so, or it may be left to NR and WCRC. Much depends on what they find in the early stages of their investigation as to who ends up with the responsibility. This was a serious incident and a very near miss to something even worse. No doubt those most closely involved will want to know what happened, and the rest of us will have to wait and see.

paulhitch likes this.
  2. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm sure that the ORR will have had some discussions on this with WCRS. However, it is quite common for the ORR to let the organisation concerned carry out its own investigation and await their findings before considering further actions.

3. 21B

Yep. Am aware of how it works.....I chose the wording in my post very carefully.

paulhitch likes this.
  4. Steve

Not teaching you to suck eggs, just emphasising what you said and adding a bit! I'm sure that a lot of people on here will have no idea of how these things work - but others will.

5. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    RAIB have only just announced an investigation into a fatality on October 26 so taking 4 to 5 weeks to prepare the incident notice

6. sweetktg

sweetktg Member

Senior IT Engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    RAIB have just announced the investigation in to Tangmere's incident:
    http://www.raib.gov.uk/publications/current_investigations_register/131123_winchfield.cfm
    The thing that stuck out straight away is that the pin was found intact on the loco, but the nut etc haven't been found. This just seems odd to me as even though I have no experience with locos, from a boating experience which I have decades of experience, split/gudgeon pins are a weak link so to speak & will be the part most common to break & then disappear never to be seen again!

7. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    The report actually says
    It was the gudgeon pin that was found, not the split pin or cotter that secures the nut. The gudgeon pin is the large cylindrical lump that passes through the little end bearing and is not usually prone to failure. Probably it worked loose and fell out, but mustn't speculate.

8. Steve

No speculation that it came out and was found on the bogie splasher. It is mentioned in the RAIB synopsis, although it doesn't actually mention the splasher, as such. I'll disagree about gudgeon pins not being prone to failure; there have been several. Along with crankpins and many other items, they need routine NDT.

9. Sheff

Fair enough Steve, I've never experienced or come across any reports of actual gudgeon pin failure myself.

10. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Ooof. It sounds as if the conductor rail actually prevented a much worse incident... Gudgeon pin found intact. Hmm.

11. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Haven't come across any actual gudgeon pin failures in steam locos either, have you got any examples of such Steve? It would be interesting to know what, when, where and how they failed (where being where the pin failed). I can see that a gudgeon pin is subject to sheer force and this could include some shock loading when wear occurs but not having come across one I would be interested to know if there is a particular weak area that needs checking.

12. Steve

At the NYMR 60007's pin failed whilst on steam test a good while back, fortunately without any incident. NDT of other locos found that one of 825's pins was seriously flawed and replaced. (Might just have got the wrong loco, it was a while ago.) These were both fatigue failures; these pins are subject to stress reversal on every piston stroke so a prime possibility of fatigue failure. I think that the line of failure was at the thread root in both cases; I didn't actually see them at the time. However, they again cropped up in conversation whilst we were discussing the recent happening with 34067.
    As I said earlier, these and crankpins are subject to routine NDT. on the NYMR. I think annually.

13. cav1975

cav1975 Member

I see that they are asking for photos and videos of the run from Waterloo showing the loco's right side to be sent in to help with the investigation. There must be a few around.

14. Sheff

Steve, did 60007 fail catastrophically, or just crack at one end? Mind you on the main line you'd be unlikely to detect a crack until it became a total failure.

15. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Yes just noted this on the website :

Request as under :

The RAIB’s preliminary examination found that the small end assembly, in which the connecting rod is secured in the crosshead by a gudgeon pin and associated nut and cotter, had come apart. The gudgeon pin was found intact, lodged on the locomotive, but the nut and cotter have not yet been recovered.
    The RAIB’s investigation will seek to identify the sequence of events leading to the connecting rod becoming detached. It will include the design, manufacture, installation and maintenance of the components making up the crosshead and piston assembly, and relevant aspects of the operation and maintenance of the locomotive.
    The RAIB would be pleased to hear from anyone who has a photograph or video recording showing detail of the right-hand side of Tangmere, taken at Waterloo or subsequently on the journey during the evening of Saturday 23 November.

16. Steve

Not 100% sure as I wasn't there but I believe that it broke whilst being check tightened. A bit like, oops, it came off in my hand!

17. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhh!!!!!!

Read the RAIB report. The gudgeon/small end pin did not fail. The nut came off.
    Please stop speculating that the small end pin failed. Unless your are unable/ unwilling to read the RAIB preliminary report........

18. 21B

I don't think that Steve was suggesting that Tangmere's gudgeon pin had failed was he? I thought he was illustrating that it wasn't unknown through an example?

Regarding Tangmere, presumably the request for photos is to try to discover at what point the slit pin and nut ceased to be present. I guess it is possible it could be some distance from the point where the gudgeon pin came out, and the rod fell to the ground.... like miles. Does seem to have been a narrow escape from a very nasty accident.

paulhitch likes this.
  19. Sheff

Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhh!!!!!! Why don't you read the thread from #107 ??????????

20. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    More than that, if they possibly can they'll want to find every missing component to evaluate exactly what sequence of events led to the failure. Marks on each piece will have a story to tell. If you've never done so its worth reading through a couple of RAIB reports that deal with some kind of mechanical failure to get an idea of how these things are done. Warning, you do need to read *all* to get a good picture. While the format is desperately repetitive (curse of the word processor era), there is important stuff scattered right through the documents.

Sheff, threelinkdave and MarkinDurham like this.