If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tender Austerity at Ribble Steam Railway

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by daveannjon, Aug 13, 2017.

1. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I was thinking more along the lines of the rebuild of 2890 than a new loco using components from the 'sacrificed' austerity. 2890 was initially rebuilt to resemble Douglas from TTTE (and therefore, one could say, a Caledonian 812), but retained the original chassis and wheels, rather than replacing those elements to give wheels of a different size with a larger wheelbase, as would have been found on most typical 0-6-0s from the later part of the victorian era up to around WWI.

2. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes i understand. Unfortunately Austerity wheels are quite distinctively Austerity wheels.
    Think the most honest approach to any such conversion is to call it what it is, a tender austerity, if it looks the part of some long gone class all well and good, and if it gives a new lease of useful life to some of these rugged practical machines then its a win/win.