If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Atlantic Coast Express 5th-8th September 2014

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by steamvideosnet, Jun 2, 2013.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I haven't seen anyone mention 5029 ?

If 4464 took over 5029, couldn't 34046 go with 5029 ?

2. maureen

maureen Member

There could be gauging problems with 5029 near Hayle.

3. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It's fine working out of Cornwall but into the county. Hence running light engine, tender first, for the Great Britain in April.

4. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

5. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Really? I'm sure we discussed sending 5029 to Penzance, what might work the TBX instead, and the possibility of clearance problems around Hayle several days ago. See post #52, 8th Aug, onwards.

I presume you mean that 4464 could take over the TBX on Sunday 7th? That's OK if LSL have enough support crew in the right places. In the past, LSL have had to pass up the offer of short-notice work covering for other locos because they can't just raise a support crew at the drop of a hat (and why should they?) The situation may be different now, which would be great for them and for us...

The other possibility is that Tornado might be available to cover the TBX, which is a DBS operation.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  6. Steamage

Actually, GB7 only went as far west as Truro and Falmouth. You might be thinking of Steam Dreams' previous weekend tour to Penzance in 2010 (I think). 5029 and 6024 double-headed to Par on the down run, then for the return, the ECS, with the steamers on the London end, worked wrong line to Penzance in the small hours of the morning. I've asked several times if anyone knows whether the same restriction still exists, but so far, no one has been able to confirm for sure. I've previously made the comment that, even if Nunney Castle doesn't fit through that bridge, Braunton probably does, so she could work unassisted from/to either Par or Truro.

7. steamvideosnet

Just been confirmed by the 34046 Facebook page that Braunton will be joined by 5029.

James

8. Steamage

Thanks James. 90 mins at Plymouth, 45 at Exeter, 3hr20 to Salisbury, including 40 mins at Gillingham, to let the 1525 from Exeter overtake and then the 1520 from Waterloo pass. I see there's just one stop after Salisbury, 10 min at Brookwood (water top-up?), before a non-stop trundle through Staines to arrive at Victoria at 2134.

Lots of opportunities for the chasers, but a long day for the passengers.

Good news about 5029. I wonder how far west she can go?

9. Steamage

Now then, here's a thought:
    1. RTT is still missing ECS or LE moves from/to Penzance on Friday night and Monday morning;
    2. We don't yet know whether Par turntable will be available;
    3. There's a 90 min wait at Plymouth on the return;
    Maybe they're going to run top-and-tail from Plymouth to Penzance and back. That way, the train could sit in Penzance sidings the rest of the time. Lots of time for turning the rear loco at Plymouth. It would only work, though, if the bridge restriction at Hayle (down direction only) has been lifted.

Yes, I know, I'm speculating in advance of sufficient information.

10. AP60019

AP60019 New Member

No. 5029 is still subject to conformation for this train.

11. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

A Class 47 pushing it.

Drysdale likes this.
  12. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Oh Dear.

I posted this on 9th November last year in the Steam Dreams thread:-

With the provisional timings and route we have recently seen, and the Tangmere issues I may have to stop joking about some things.

But, looking on the bright side, if a Black 5 does get on the train, it will give the opportunity for an official re-numbering to 34932. :eek:

13. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Well its not quite the same now is it. People go to an air show to see planes flying. No planes flying? no show. A journey on a train is still a journey even if the plane at the front is a jet or prop.

14. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

We do seem to have a lot of Cassandras on here. I'm more inclined to see a half-full cup myself. Yes it's a slow run on the Friday morning, but at least (unlike Bank Holiday Monday's run with Tornado) not an ungodly early start. And it's that much more time behind steam than it would be with a fast run out of Waterloo. (And we DID start from Waterloo on the ill-starred 2011 ACE.)

We now have the RTT schedules for Victoria-Exeter on the Friday and all the way back on the Monday, including confirmation of banking from St David's to Central. But I can't find a schedule for Penzance-Exeter. What should we read into that?

15. steamvideosnet

16. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Well I can tell you for free that there will be two people getting off at Brookwood on the return of the ACE. There is absolutely no point in us trundling all the way back to Victoria via Staines especially after the lengthy journey from Penzance.

I honestly do think that someone is taking the mickey over this trip. It's hard to believe that there is no path into Waterloo at around 9 pm. And by the way, I have travelled by steam non stop from Salisbury to Waterloo in the same time that we are scheduled to take from Salisbury to Brookwood. This is beyond a joke.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  17. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I believe the Friends of 261 a bunch of them are coming overseas to do this tour. I don't think wcrc want anybody to be disappointed. I'm not perfect though.

18. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Like the one Oliver Cromwell shot up to Waterloo on last night? On the fast up from Woking too.

19. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Yes

Yes the whole thing is very sad but inevitable without GB to push it forward. SD though probably still think its great. Glad I am not in it

Don

Drysdale likes this.
  20. Steamage

So looks like the St Blazey TT is not available. I guess that means that the loco on Sunday's Royal Duchy will turn at Plymouth and work tender-first to Par, as was planned to happen in June. Unless there's a last-minute change... ?