If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Barry 10 (or 6 in this instance)

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by neildimmer, Jan 23, 2012.

1. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

I did see the smilie, so I got your "irony" !

Just wanted to get one in for 45699 !

However, t'other bloke is doing Bulleids now....

2. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There were rumours elsewhere linking 44901 with the G&WR last year - perhaps a deal on transfer deadline day is in the offing? The window shuts in a few hours...;)

3. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Point I was trying to make was that other places such as Grosmont, Ropley, Bridgnorth etc etc are equally as capable as 't'other bloke' but there seems to be some irresistible urge by some on here to grovel and fawn to the man ...

4. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

you mean a guy currently working on a 4f and already owns an 8f and is going back to get spare Stanier parts from Turkey?

5. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Martin: Any "grovelling" in respect of Ian Riley was absolutely not intended. In fairness he does turn out quality Black 5's, and in that he has my respect. But, as mentioned above there are others capable, ie Andrew Goodman at Toddington, and the NYMR, but the latter do appear to have plenty of subjects to get to grips with already on site.

As others have mentioned, the best outcome for 44901 is that it is restored in its own right. Sure there are a number of Black 5's extant, but they are useful locomotives. I suppose thats why the LMS built 842 of them!

Regards.

6. B17 61606

B17 61606 Member

Excellent news, thank you for the info. Really pleased to hear a bright future awaits if all goes to plan.

7. JJJ

JJJ New Member

If you look in Steam Railway mag just published yesterday you'll see a small but informative article on loco Black 5, 44901 suggesting some deal to get the loco restored. As the meeting took place at the G/WR during last month and its reported as being attended by a good number of interested G/WR volunteers, one wonders if this might become the new residence?

The report also says that the turkish 8F group have offered support / tools / expertise etc. although no labour as still be tied up with running their loco and other projects.

8. Crazy Train29

Crazy Train29 New Member

Night Receptionist
    Great news about 44901. Hope to see her running in a few years.

slightly off topic, the original list of locos posted before showed that 5538 had a wooden boiler at barry? Really? what happened to her original one? Was it taken for another loco or did BR or dai woodham scrap it?

9. lmssteve

lmssteve New Member

Gav106 I am interested to know who gave you this information. A private meeting was held and the information was due to be kept private! If you could be kind enough to let me know please. Just to point out that the information in Steam rly mag is not factual. Don't belive everything you read in mags and on here.

10. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

I'm pleased to hear that this loco's future is good. Interestingly, on the subject of using the Black 5 for a new build project, while I may aprove and support projects that use existing parts form other locos to build lost classes, using a Black 5...?

NO... WAY...

The Black 5s to me are one of the finest designs in brtitsh steam history, and are one of of the few that I'd like to see every single member restored. Their one of the most useful medium sized engines out there, every heritage railway in my opinion should have at least one, by law!

Interesting to hear about GWSR members being interested in forming a group for the engine, now there's a line that could do with a Black 5, though John Buxton might want the engine to remain at Barry. Though saying that, they could restore it to mainline standards, and visit Barry on occasions, and still base it at the GWSR, as when they do eventually reach Honeybourne they'll have a link with the national network.

Sorry about that... My imagination does fly off sometimes! Though it's not impossible to imagine...

11. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Black 5s were a common sight at Cheltenham (Lansdown) LMS Station in the 1950s and early 1960s, mainly on stopping trains from Birmingham to Gloucester. They were less common on the GWR Honeybourne Line nearby (8Fs were far more common, especially on diversionary goods workings) but a Black 5 (especially one which was virtually written off as regards a working future) would not be out of place running on the GWSR; a beautiful locomotive.

12. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

What's the latest on 44901? I assume/gather that the previously-hinted-at plans fell through?

Noel

13. GeoffS75

GeoffS75 Member

Hi Noel

Out of curiosity, why do say that? I know nothing to the contrary, just being nosy!

Geoff

14. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

Well, I did say "assume" (i.e. I have no direct, specific knowledge)!

It's just that i) it's been almost a year since anything's been said about it (although maybe it was in a thread I didn't see), and ii) a site that was set up for it seems to have gone dormant ("This site is down for maintenance."). Hence my deduction...

Noel

15. GeoffS75

GeoffS75 Member

16. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

They have a facebook group called 44901 black 5 group. Don't read the other 44901 facebook pages as there all rubbish. A post from about a month ago states that it's being held up with paperwork. I would copy and paste but I'm on my phone.

Gav

17. GeoffS75

GeoffS75 Member

Thanks Gav.