If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Cambrian Coast Express - 5th & 8th June

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by David likes trains, May 27, 2016.

1. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes, clearly they have taken note of all our complaints about the pathetic whistle, and borrowed an LMS one.

cjbarnes5294 likes this.
  2. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Hmm... I didn't read it as a slur. More like sarcasm, directed at whoever is deciding how FS is to be worked and how much assistance she needs. Maybe that's not clear, though it helps if you quote all of @staffordian's post.

staffordian likes this.
  3. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Serious question to those getting somewhat vexed by this, much is made of the lack of information provided by WCRC, has anyone thought of asking the NRM who seem often forthcoming with information?

4. mrKnowwun

Retired
    Like "Why can't your 10 million pound newly restored loco pull the skin off a rice pudding?"

Thats a joke BTW

Its pretty simple really. Most steam tours are going to need a diesel at two points.

DBC dont take a diesel, but then they operate very few steam charters, and those they do run they run over a limited number of routes, and only routes where they have resource dotted around the country. So they can leave a diesel behind and pick one up at a destination. Where they can't do that, they wont run.

WCRC are much more flexible about routes and destinations, but as they are much more limited in motive power depots, the flexibility to operate those routes comes at the expense of having to drag your resource around with you. That resource carries a weight penalty, so you either lose some revenue generating coaches (making the tour uneconomic) or you allow it to carry its own weight. That has the side benefit that you can assure NR that your steam tour wont clog the network.

Cries of "It never used to be like that" mean nothing. This is today, Steam has to adapt & compromise or die.

thickmike, maureen, OldGit and 3 others like this.
  5. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

pmsl :D

6. mrKnowwun

Retired
    Edit. Oh and I forgot to add, where the economics and logistics of the tour allow it (like the GB) WCRC, and I guess NR, are perfectly happy to shuttle the resource around immediately behind on a separate diagram.

7. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    As promised, 'Scots Guardsman' lets rip through the Cheshire Plains on day four of the Cambrian Coast Express. Hope you enjoy :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  8. staffordian

staffordian Well-Known Member

Retired
    It wasn't intended as a slur, though it wasn't a sarcastic comment either, as has been suggested.

It was a genuine question, posed as a possible reason for the difference between 60103 and other steam performance, given that no one has yet had an opportunity to gain a great amount of experience on the A3 as it has only relatively recently returned to service.

Every class of locomotives, and indeed, every individual locomotive, has its foibles; some steam on the promise of a lump of coal, and others won't almost regardless of how a fire is made up or how it is driven.

Back in the day, when locos were worked day in and day out, this sort of knowledge would be passed on almost by osmosis, but this can't happen today given the relative scarcity of mainline running for both locos and crew.

My view is that today's steam crew's work miracles given today's H&S climate, their relative lack of familiarity with the locos they are called on to man and with today's tight scheduling.

So I sincerely hope that no-one takes my comments as criticism, when in truth, I have the utmost respect for all steam crew.

The question was based on the amount of time crew had had to get used to FS and thus perhaps in retrospect, my turn of phrase was not spot on.

If I have offended any WCRC (or DBC) crew, then I apologise.

Edit: Meant to add that possibly as a result of my post, other very plausible reasons emerged, such as possible regional differences by Network Rail with regard to their views on fire risk.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  9. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

I have to say that seeing 60103 on the mainline for the first time last Sat, I did get an sense of our niche little hobby being gatecrashed by a load of tourists showing up wherever FS goes. Most of whom probably aren't bothered about how the loco is performing, just want to see another 'celebrity' - so long as it looks like a steam engine and the wheels are going round then it's all good. This isn't a moan, I've got no problem with the crowds coming out to take pictures too so long as they're not trespassing - but it just feels a bit surreal!

LMarsh1987 likes this.
  10. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Since Scotsman has returned to the network, there has been a handful of guys consistently travelling all over the country with the engine. In this group includes the firemen (plus two other's if memory serves me right) so I would have thought they know how to make the engine steam by now considering they also took part in the running in trials on the ELR.

From what has been said, FS steams very well on good coal and regarding a new driver that is rostered for a trip, a quick chat with the support crew also helps the situation on driving techniques with the loco.

TI's/Drivers can talk to each other for help, advice and familiarising with any loco, not just Flying Scotsman.

RalphW, maureen and staffordian like this.
  11. eggbert

eggbert Member

IT
    My little effort at Hullavington, Wiltshire

12. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

Obviously yesterdays Scarborough Spa Express was a non standard WCRC operation then.:)

Dave B

Rich and Louise and RalphW like this.