If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

'The Cambrian' Photo guide

Discussion in 'Photographic Guides' started by steamingyorkshire, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If you can get to the location in Bill's video at around 4 minutes 50 secs Simon then this will be great because as you can see this is a fairly steep section and fast too! This is my favourite bit of the line and if 44871 sounds as half as good as 76079 did then I'm sure you'll have a cracking shot even more so with the sun out hopefully!

Then again you could always try this too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzzhFnk6ZYA

Roll on the 3rd week!

2. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Where is that first location?

And cracking video. Got about a 15 second shot like that last year on the Jacobite, for some reason they always look smashing! But with only me in the car this coming week, I don't really want to chance driving and filming lol... I think Mr Plod may have a few choice words lol.

3. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    No I do not currently volunteer
    have u planned on the bales of hay I will be leaving in your path simon

4. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    I hope you will be taking a trip too - and what about the toll bridge shot?

5. steamingyorkshire

Lecturer
    Friday... And haven't really got time. Maybe next time :p

6. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Ah, didnt realise you would be alone Simon but never mind, hope you have a good week!

7. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
  8. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM

The timber bridge south of Penrhyndeudreath is scheduled for replacement so, if you can, this may be worth revisiting. The access is from the estuary side but may be hard to find a path and the ascent is a bit dangerous.

There are views of the toll bridge from the footpaths on the marsh south of Penrhyn.
    The path closer to the bridge is underwater at high tide and is built across saltmarsh ie very very soft.
    The path west of Penrhyn station also has a view of the climb to Minffordd for west-bound trains.
    Both paths are access over user worked level crossings. (The western LC was the site of the fatal accident last September. Siting on both crossings is poor - please be careful!)

Enjoy you time on the Cambrian. (I'm envious - I'll get back one day.)

Cheers, Neil

9. the-gog

the-gog Member

Not being replaced until 2011>2012. But the new bridge will be built father out in the estuary so I'd imagine that next summer there could be a lot of prep work going on, boats and all sorts of other things. They've already started taking bore samples with a floating platform in recent months.

10. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
  11. the-gog

the-gog Member

Aw shucks... Even with it running for 5 weeks it's not that easy to snap as over the past 4 years or so the "summer" weather has mostly been pretty bad, and this week's forecast is a good example. It's not helped by the fact that the locos have been facing north for the past 4 seasons. Finding spots for southbound trains in the afternoon>evening is much easier than trying to find somewhere decent for it facing north or west. Still, I can't complain too much about the ECS on Friday.

Richard

12. steamingyorkshire

Lecturer
    Thank you very much for the advice. I will take a look at the toll bridge, you have a very strong point that it may not be around for long, my main concern was the access. I will although have plenty of time to look around and see where I like best.

Well the car is packed! And i'm ready for the off! And yes only me down in Wales this week, John's on SSE footage duties this week as normal, Andrew was suppose to be coming with me but I'm camping (hopes it doesn't rain!) because of the late booking and the campsite won't accept us together.

Depending on my internet access down there, both 'The Cambrian' & SSE clips and photos will be posted at the of the week when I return back to Leeds.

13. steamingyorkshire

Lecturer
    Just been to do the toll bridge shot, thanks to whoever suggested it... The place is riddled in snakes! I nearly died with what I've just seen. Lol

14. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Tywyn broadwater is also a grand shot for the morning departure if you get a good day and no-one is pacing the train with a car! ;-)

15. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Sorry to ask yet another gradient related question, but can anyone look in C C Green's book and see what the profile is approaching Aberdovey from Dovey Junction? My new book on gradient profiles doesn't have the lower part of the Coast line in it.

16. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

The gradient is a bit all over the place in the last mile before Aberdovey station! First there's about 1/4 mile up at 1 in 98, passing Penhelig; then about 1/3 mile mostly level; about 1/5 mile down at 1 in 100; about 1/10 mile up at 1 in 75; easing to 1 in 200 just before the station.

17. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

Near enough level until Penhelig from Dovey Junction, then as Nick says above. However at Penhelig you've got two tunnels and the line runs behind the houses until it emerges to cross the main road. Whether you can get an interesting shot from the bandstand above Aberdovey might be worth checking out if you've some downtime, but it would be a still shot as its not a long enough view to be worth videoing. The other one worth checking out (can't remember myself what the views are like is the access road to the Treffidian Hotel just north of Aberdovey on the landward side of the main road - that gets you up a bit and may if you are lucky let you film from Aberdovey station round the corner towards Tywyn. (Very nice hotel by the way - had a few nights there a few years back)