If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

'The Capital Christmas Express'. 23rd November

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by free2grice, Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    So you were on the footplate were you and fully aware of what the crew could or could not hear?

Thought not.

2. Pjamie

Pjamie New Member

I hate this talk about engines getting old etc. Yes they may have a build date and age but when they are overhauled every part of the locomotive is returned to as new condition or replaced with new. Th cause of the incident will be found but why it happened May never be found. Sometimes these things just happen but is nothing to do with how old the engine is.

3. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Properly maintained a steam engine is perfectly safe to operate at 75mph where the track allows, this was a one off, mechanical failure can happen to any loco at any time ,up to now Tangmere has been a good performer, all the motion was renewed when it was restored, because i saw her in the early days and she arrived with no motion. one possible thing that has crossed my mind several times is , modern metal specs are different to what was used in steam days, a lot of the material isnt availible, are the modern equivilents as long lasting? prehaps things like pins whilst not showing wear externally, could be fracturing internally? that wouldnt be picked up on an FTR.

4. Pjamie

Pjamie New Member

Unless the nut was loose you would struggle to tell if it was broken unless you remove it.

5. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    On a castellated nut it's also important to open the legs of the split pin to ensure that it can not work loose or snag on other parts of the mechanism.

6. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Actually your posting makes it quite clear that maxima have indeed crept up from 60 to, in one instance, 90m.p.h. Genuinely I am keeping an open mind as to this (it was someone else's view) but it is something that will be need to be examined along with other issues. If a return to 60m.p.h. is a price which has to be paid for continuing to run on the mainline then so be it.

PH

7. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

No, you cannot say that a steam engine passed as fit to run on NR is "safe" at 60 mph, but not so at 75 mph.

Within the prescribed limits for that class of loco, ie with speed largely determined by wheel diameter, it is either fit to run or not fit to run.

We now need to wait for the results of investigations into why and how this failure happened.

8. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Some designers fitted stirrups of course to try and contain the flailing connecting rod - e.g. the NSWGR 38s, although there are probably some examples closer to home.

Attached Files:

9. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Reading this Nat Pres thread I was under the impression an investigation is well under way and almost concluded, and one result already formulated will be a 60 mph limit for all steam locomotives on the main line.

;)

Kje7812 likes this.
  10. LocoPhile

LocoPhile New Member

We need a full inquiry to be made on this incident. You don't have to think for too long before imagining the possibly consequences of this rod coming adrift whilst at speed and passing by a South West train service?

This loco was 'pressed' into operation following a major overhaul and had hardly time to let the crew get to grips with it again before going straight into a huge passenger run on Saturday. Far too many miles for a single day by a steam loco in my opinion. MUCH more stringent FTR steps should be undertaken on all main line steam and the commercial pressures to put locomotives into service should be vastly reduced. Please THINK SAFETY at all times, not money.

11. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

There's nothing like a bit of 'excitment' caused by an incident to trigger a flood of posts, comments and 'hits' on Nat Pres, is there? (What is it now - 15k+ views at the last count for just one steam trip?). I'm sure we all have our own thoughts about this sad matter not to mention the point from Ray Mason about the support crew who I guess had an unplanned Saturday night and Sunday in some place inhospitable.

The 'measure twice and cut once' maxim used in carpentry has, I am sure, an engineering equivalent with any work done on a steam locomotive. That, I am afraid, may not prevent the odd failure. I've no idea whether this incident was avoidable and I guess that any investigation may ask that question. But having thought about it since Saturday, I remain of the view that this particular failure, once it happened, actually resulted in the best possible outcome for all in terms of collateral damage. That is a massive relief for everyone including the network itself.

Will Network Rail now decide that Bittern shouldn't run at 90 mph next week until the exact cause of this incident is known? (We all know that they do think in mysterious ways at times.) I don't know the answer to that one either but we should, perhaps, hold our breath a bit.

KentYeti likes this.
  12. Pjamie

Pjamie New Member

For the c
    For the crew is just another steam engine. But for the guys who look after her will know her inside out and wouldn't let he run unless safe to do so. The FTR exams couldn't get any more stringent unless you start taking bits of for inspection. All ready a full mechanical exam and full brake test is carried out. Don't see what milage has to do with it doesn't make the slightest differnce and she had not just for from a major overhaul just repair work at Carnforth.

It's just a incident that happens unfortunately no differnt to a electric dragging the wires down as the pantograph has given way even tho it's just had a major exam!

13. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

The notion that because locomotives are old they become less safe is nonsense. The reciprocating and rotating parts although subject to fatigue were designed with high factors of redundancy and are tested with modern techniques to ensure integrity. Their design life is likely to be measured in centuries given the low mileages that heritage locomotives travel. (Boilers are more critical but are rigorously inspected and their safety is not speed related.) As Spamcan points out fasteners are inspected and routinely replaced during maintenance and overhaul.

Regarding the clanking, I think from the videos that the noise is unlike any I have previously heard from a Bulleid at speed. My memories go back to the 50s and certainly in the 60s, some were making a terrible racket. To detect from the footplate that there was a slightly different clank to usual would be very difficult.

14. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    'We' don't need a full enquiry, but I have no doubt that the interested parties will do what they have to do.
    The loco was brought back into service after some work, can you say with certainty it was a major overhaul, or is that just an assumption??
    What crew members needed to get to grips with it again, the support crew come from Carnforth and may well have been some of those who actually had been working on her, so it's fair to say they have intimate knowledge of her workings.
    They had already done two decent runs, Carnforth to Southall being the light test run, and then Southall to Weymouth with ECS, the loaded test run. The normal type of shakedown runs, what more could be done.
    If you think that it was far to many miles in a single day, what's a reasonable amount?
    More stringent FTR? I've said this before how can you inspect, for an FTR, every item that might fail, you would have to strip all major parts down to do that...

Oh by the way, welcome to Nat Pres.

Big Dave and KentYeti like this.
  15. LocoPhile

LocoPhile New Member

Thank you Administrator. I take your points, but reaffirm the ones I said I'm afraid. Maybe the FTR exams need looking at?

On the question of mileages, I sincerely feel that 200 miles is quite enough for a steam operation in a single day. The support crews etc are already up for god knows how long for a normal day's train.

16. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles

They have not "crept up," they were increased in one single step after much discussion etc.

17. royals pete

royals pete Member

Sad turn of events, railways are a challenge at any time; I saw that Brittania was running about 60 min late at one stage...why....cos the diesel on train in front couldn't get up a hill!! Breakdowns all the time, unfortunately not always a quick fix; no RAC or AA. Anyway, decision of SWT to get people home by stopping their last Weymouth service at Basingstoke was BRILLIANT. No doubt plenty of phone calls etc to arrange this, but although I was not on the train, I have just been on SWT site, 'contact us' , and sent praise and thanks for that decision. Hope plenty of others including the travellers have/will do the same because it was a BIG issue, very well handled by SWT....Pete

18. ROGace

ROGace Member

I was on the train as you know, and we were not going that fast, in fact we were slow/stop/start all the time from Waterloo, I have no idea why so many of you pontificate on here about allowable speeds and/or rising speed limits or nit-pick each other...It is not relevant imho in this case.

If the whole rod had come off even at 20-40mph and dug in then chances are the loco would have come off the rails, even if it stayed upright it could have infringed the adjacent fast line with 90-100mph trains going past all the time. Sunday Morning's headlines this weekend could have been been rather unpleasant reading. The official investigation will of course determine what happened and make any recommendations should it deem necessary. I think we and all of us and all of the Industry got away with this one thankfully. suggested reading : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settle_rail_crash http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/nosta..._night_Craven_folk_woke_to_rail_crash_horror/

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Settle1960.pdf

Sheff likes this.
  19. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Sure this video was posted earlier, but can't find it.

Even after the event & the "offending" part removed, it still seems to be making a hell of a racket as it was being dragged out of Basingstoke (near the end of the video).

20. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Totally agree with you, and I posted the same link somewhere above. Sadly however there are those in the camera totting fraternity who will tell you that you are just being 'alarmist'!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.