If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Cathedrals Explorer - 2012

Discussie in 'What's Going On' gestart door steam_mad, 7 jul 2011.

  1. malc

    malc Part of the furniture

    Lid geworden:
    28 jun 2005
    Berichten:
    2.536
    Leuk Bevonden:
    357
    No, it was removed at Perth.
     
  2. hatherton hall

    hatherton hall Well-Known Member

    Lid geworden:
    27 mei 2007
    Berichten:
    1.068
    Leuk Bevonden:
    351
    The BR Rule Book 1950 states that locomotives should display the correct head codes when they are on the network and that applies now just as it did in 1950.

    When did you see 6024, 5043, 5029, 35028, 46201 etc etc without correct head codes..................NEVER and as for 50163, she always has the correct head code.

    It's like a lady walking the streets without shoes on, clearly not dressed correctly and that's how 70000 looks without proper head lamps.

    I agree that the performance of the loco is the most important thing, but it is shoddy work not bothering with the head lamps. You wouldn't forget to put a tail lamp on the rear coach, would you?

    By the way you seem to have missed LOL (not lot's of love) although I do think that more effort should be made to dress 70000 correctly.
     
  3. hatherton hall

    hatherton hall Well-Known Member

    Lid geworden:
    27 mei 2007
    Berichten:
    1.068
    Leuk Bevonden:
    351
    Sorry, make that 60163!
     
  4. free2grice

    free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

    Lid geworden:
    19 sep 2005
    Berichten:
    6.021
    Leuk Bevonden:
    4.579
    Geslacht:
    Man
    Beroep:
    Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Locatie:
    Bath Green Park / Mangotsfield
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

    I think more effort should be made in appreciating the fine work and dedication that
    keeps steam alive on the main line in 2012. <BJ>
     
  5. Spamcan81

    Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

    Lid geworden:
    25 aug 2007
    Berichten:
    36.998
    Leuk Bevonden:
    24.502
    Beroep:
    Training moles
    Locatie:
    The back of beyond
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Perhaps you could join the support crew and correct these gross errors. I'm sure the paying passengers have had their day ruined now they know the correct steam era lamp code was not being displayed.
     
  6. 5944

    5944 Resident of Nat Pres

    Lid geworden:
    14 jan 2006
    Berichten:
    10.416
    Leuk Bevonden:
    12.903
    Geslacht:
    Man
    Beroep:
    Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Locatie:
    Letchworth
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Never mind the lack of headlamps, the K4 was carrying a Welsh flag on the front today!
     
  7. evilswans

    evilswans Member

    Lid geworden:
    18 dec 2007
    Berichten:
    381
    Leuk Bevonden:
    267
    Locatie:
    Woking, Surrey
  8. 5944

    5944 Resident of Nat Pres

    Lid geworden:
    14 jan 2006
    Berichten:
    10.416
    Leuk Bevonden:
    12.903
    Geslacht:
    Man
    Beroep:
    Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Locatie:
    Letchworth
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Seems the K4 finally made it back to Inverness shortly after 10pm. Not much use for passengers in super duper standard who didn't get a meal on the train.
     
  9. Big Al

    Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

    Lid geworden:
    30 mei 2009
    Berichten:
    24.287
    Leuk Bevonden:
    25.197
    Locatie:
    1016
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Another record breaking day on the Explorer today. It was the first time that DBS has worked a vacuum braked train for quite a while and The Marquess was steered effortlessly over Ravens Rock and Corriemuillie on the outward run - minima of 19 and 21 respectively with 7 on. However, once again the old lady proved she has a sense of humour by, on the way back, deciding to clinker up and run short of steam. So what is probably a record of 5 mph minimum was achieved up to Luib summit and later up to Ravens Rock before finally she had to stop for a blow up near Muir of Ord when all the hard work had been done. Joke of the day from the footplate at about 9.15 pm was....I'm afraid the fire has got a bit tired, just like me. A good humoured day out but I suspect that everyone is now looking forward to getting back to Pacifics for the rest of the trip.
     
  10. Guest

    Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

    Lid geworden:
    8 sep 2005
    Berichten:
    3.612
    Leuk Bevonden:
    21
    Beroep:
    Occasional
    Locatie:
    G C &amp; N S
    Game little loco the K4 - must have been a bad coal problem, or just too long with the same fire in the box!

    Any times for later in the week yet??
     
  11. Big Al

    Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

    Lid geworden:
    30 mei 2009
    Berichten:
    24.287
    Leuk Bevonden:
    25.197
    Locatie:
    1016
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Nothing from NR yet, believe it or not. We only have times till we get to Edinburgh. Final day will be 6201 not 70000 - that's a change of plan not an issue with the Brit.
     
  12. 5944

    5944 Resident of Nat Pres

    Lid geworden:
    14 jan 2006
    Berichten:
    10.416
    Leuk Bevonden:
    12.903
    Geslacht:
    Man
    Beroep:
    Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Locatie:
    Letchworth
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    [​IMG]

    Alongside Loch Carron on Sunday. I'm so glad I was in a hire car and not my own car, it took some abuse chasing the A1 and the K4! I only made the shot climbing Drumochter by 30 seconds.

    The rest of my shots from Saturday and Sunday are at

    Cathedrals Explorer - a set on Flickr
     
  13. osprey

    osprey Resident of Nat Pres

    Lid geworden:
    3 okt 2007
    Berichten:
    11.921
    Leuk Bevonden:
    3.382
    Beroep:
    semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    Locatie:
    Halifax
    Beautiful panorama.............
     
  14. jonathonag

    jonathonag Well-Known Member

    Lid geworden:
    11 mei 2006
    Berichten:
    1.680
    Leuk Bevonden:
    3.484
    Beroep:
    Railway Engineer
    Locatie:
    Cowdenbeath
    In the system today that 1Z37 ABD - EDB is scheduled to depart at 17.42, so it's looking like the earlier timings stand today. Of course usual disclaimer stands.
     
  15. RalphW

    RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

    Lid geworden:
    11 sep 2005
    Berichten:
    37.530
    Leuk Bevonden:
    10.667
    Geslacht:
    Man
    Beroep:
    Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Locatie:
    Northwich
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    What a great selection of shots Nigel, the ones in Scotland particularly are superb, with locations and panoramas like that you are spoilt for choice.
     
  16. leander

    leander Member

    Lid geworden:
    5 jul 2007
    Berichten:
    804
    Leuk Bevonden:
    41
    Geslacht:
    Man
    Locatie:
    Wymington Beds
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Very good photo's Nigel
     
  17. jonathonag

    jonathonag Well-Known Member

    Lid geworden:
    11 mei 2006
    Berichten:
    1.680
    Leuk Bevonden:
    3.484
    Beroep:
    Railway Engineer
    Locatie:
    Cowdenbeath
  18. Big Al

    Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

    Lid geworden:
    30 mei 2009
    Berichten:
    24.287
    Leuk Bevonden:
    25.197
    Locatie:
    1016
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Another good day marred only by the multiple speed and clearance restrictions along the line but that didn't detract from the great views and the occasional dash uphill in the manner that Tornado seems to make so easy. And whilst this wasn't a record, our arrival on time into Waverley from the west through Haymarket Tunnel must be the first steam hauled passenger train from that direction for a good many years.
     
  19. Steamage

    Steamage Part of the furniture

    Lid geworden:
    14 sep 2005
    Berichten:
    4.763
    Leuk Bevonden:
    1.160
    Locatie:
    Oxford
    No helicopter, but my pal was on the bridge and saw it all unfold before him!
     
  20. Steamage

    Steamage Part of the furniture

    Lid geworden:
    14 sep 2005
    Berichten:
    4.763
    Leuk Bevonden:
    1.160
    Locatie:
    Oxford
    What a hectic few days. Thanks goodness for chime whistles! 4464 was 20 early at Berwick - I was still pondering a location when I heard her distant whistle, so put the tripod up hurridly, and was rewarded by a shaft of sunlight at just the right moment. 60163 was best part of 30 early at Edendon box (or site of), a few miles short of Drumochter summit, and seemed to be going faster than the preceding unit. Today I was scouting for a location in Newport On Tay when I heard a chime whistle from across the water a whole hour early! Again, I was lucky enough to be at a good spot, so got the shot. Finally got to a B&B with working Internet and realised that the rest of you knew all about the various changes of plan...

    So, what will tomorrow bring? Hopefully, shots at North Queensferry, Culross and maybe the Linlithgow viaduct.
     

Deel Deze Pagina