If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Cheltenham Flyer

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Ben Vintage-Trains, Mar 25, 2013.

1. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    Good, let's hope it's fine on Saturday.

2. eggbert

eggbert Member

IT
    As long as we don't get soaked on the day then it will all work out fine :)

3. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    Oh, they aren't using those open top coaches again, surely.

Alberta 45562 likes this.
  4. Robbo

Robbo Member

5. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Should we read anything into the fact it is listed as being a "diesel locomotive"?

6. malc

malc Part of the furniture

No. Realtime trains only ever shows diesel or electric locos.

7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Sadly it seems that even the influence of Vintage Trains cannot persuade Network Rail to find a path that will offer something even modestly quick. Take the return leg from Paddington. It looks as though we trundle down the relief all the way to Didcot following the 1427 all stations to Oxford. Just so you know, the 1427 makes FOURTEEN station stops whilst 5043 is supposed to make none! That's an average speed of 40 mph to Didcot.

This is a case of Network Rail taking the p--- ....... and we get to Gloucester long after the suggested connecting service has left for the return to London.

I know that on the Bristolian magical things happened but I honestly think that VT will have to work a miracle to get NR to rework this one. I can picture everyone at Tyseley burying heads in hands at this point and discussing whether the train should be renamed "The Cheltenham Crawler" What was wrong with tucking us behind the 1430 ex Paddington down the fast and taking a leap of faith that it could clear Reading in about 38 min like they used to. I thought the train was cleared for 75 mph running.

Sorry, end of rant.

steamvideosnet likes this.
  8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Not that I'm questioning what your saying, but where has this come from Al ?, I haven't seen any mention of timings or tickets yet.

9. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

David. I just researched RTT departures from Paddington to see how the times in #84 fitted in with everything else. It makes depressing reading.

10. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

See post #84 David for the timings.

James at SVN

11. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Sorry, I somehow missed a few posts.

On the face of it, it's disappointing, but, what is scheduled and what happens on the day can be quite different,as Saltydog said earlier, remember the Bristolian return ?, if there's a gap on the day it could be unexpectedly turned onto the fast.

12. stevepurves

stevepurves New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I wonder why the outbound is timed at 75mph and 420t but the return is timed at 60mph and 305t?
    Steve

13. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    I presume we are now meant to catch the return HST an hour later. Will see when tickets arrive I guess.

14. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Even Modified Hall 4-6-0's (Castle duty) on down Worcester services in the early 60's regularly achieved the 36 miles in the booked 40 minutes Paddington to Reading start to stop and yet here we have a train which take almost an hour tucked behind a stopper! I feel sorry for Vintage Trains and the passengers who are travelling and believed that a fast path would be found. When the Bristolian VT tour ran on the up main line in record time with 5043 there were a number of events which worked in its favour like late running service trains and exceptional cooperation from NR and FGW but for anyone to think this can happen again, I would suggest you do not build your hopes up. Do not forget that even on the down Bristolian on that magical day ran part of the trip from Paddington on the down relief line and switched to the down main at Reading and then trundled through the down middle road and only then to run fast to Didcot and beyond to Bristol.

Also compared to then, Reading has changed beyond recognition and suddenly the middle road has disappeared altogether and I don't think anyone can be sure on which platform it will pass and how fast, or slow!

I really do hope I am wrong, but I suspect, and sorry VT for saying so as it is only my view, that based on the Real Time schedule, this is going to be an anti-climax for high speed steam - even Didcot is booked to pass on the relief line in both directions thereby denying us non-travellers the opportunity of seeing 5043 at 75mph with whistle wide open racing through Didcot station.

Having said all of the above, I hope I am proved wrong. Vintage Trains deserve better. This offering from NR is meagre in the extreme and one hopes that someone, somewhere on the day, allows it to run ML especially as this will be the last steam train before the dreaded overhead wires go up. So come on NR, you know you can do it. If so, that would be awesome and what is more, on the down trip, those passengers needing to connect with a service back to London, will be able to get the connection!

15. royals pete

royals pete Member

According to all the figures put forward then, the up journey between Reading-Paddington (35mls)..63 minutes !! Makes Big Als ave speed on return leg pretty fast. Shall still turn out to see her though.

16. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    I think it must be remembered that at the NR planning office there are people who are sympathetic to charter trains whatever the haulage, and there are also those who don't give a (insert expletive), so lets not tar all with the same brush.

17. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    5043 has been allowed longer to run from Reading to Paddington than 5006 Tregenna Castle took to run from Swindon in its epic run!

Still, the weather has turned just in time to allay fears of lineside fires. I'm hopeful that the actual run, like 5043's Bristolian, may turn out a more exciting journey than these somewhat pedestrian timings suggest.

18. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    Of course the next fast connection with no changes is the 19.15. One back, presumably with a Swindon change is just after 18.00. I assume the ticket for the return now will be hassle free.

19. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    I'd have thought there would be a better chance of a fast run on the outward than the return. On the way back it can't run too early, otherwise it'll probably get held at Swindon waiting for the single line line to Kemble.

20. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    According to RTT it is 14 up & 12 down. These are the new ones right at the back.