If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Edinburgh Flyer 22/03/19, now 20/04/19 with 60009

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by alan wilson, Jan 7, 2019.

1. John Rowley

John Rowley New Member Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    yes how did i miss that? removed

2. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Just an oops moment or is it an age thing..:)

3. MikeParkin65

MikeParkin65 Member Friend

Leaving York on Saturday morning - is that Mr Cameron leaning out of the cab window? fullsizeoutput_1381.jpeg

4. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Yep thats your man

MikeParkin65 likes this.
  5. John Rowley

John Rowley New Member Friend

er .... a combination of both i think

6. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    To say it was an early start is an understatement. Up at 04:00 am to be dressed and out the house, ready for a big day. No chance of hitting the snooze button.

The plan was to drive to Durham and get the 04:59 train down to York. I parked nearby and made by way in the dark to the station. The train arrived and I boarded, for the smooth and fast run down to York finding there that it had been propelled by ECML Celeb 91119 Bounds Green in Intercity livery. Quite a start to the day.

Union had yet to arrive and the station, even at this early hour had more people than I expected. The coffee shops were opening and cues were long as everyone tried to get that caffeine fix. Then Union arrived backing onto the train. There were many people out looking for that nice arrival photo. I took a few myself before then grabbing a coffee myself and then onto the train. Coach G – actually near the front as the train was in reverse formation to what I expected and what was advertised.

Away from York Union took the start with ease, load 11 and a class 47 dead on the rear. Past York north a wave to a young friend who was lineside who had made the trip out and was impressed with Unions sound and power as she rounded onto the ECML. We were put onto the slow lines and trundled north with the odd express over taking us. At Northallerton and onto the fast Union opened up the pace. She accelerated through the station and beyond, speed was noticeably faster.

Onwards towards Darlington and the special moment for me that was my reason to be on the tour – having checked the times and likely pathing Union would be put through platform 4 and under the marvellous trainshed designed by William Bell. Signals checked our approach and Union drifted into the station, sadly the gantry over platform 4A showed ‘yellow’ and thus we majestically strode through the station, rather than the clear signal I hoped for and power outwards. On rounding 4B the signal stood at danger and Union came to walking pace before it cleared and we were away. It was almost a Darlington departure which equally was impressive for all the trains that many will have seen pull out of 4 northwards years ago – a popular spot for all those watching them.

We were getting up to speed again around the curves near Brafferton and Aycliffe – the small gallery on the banks of the A1 near Ricknall only just having a freight clear out of view as the A4 stormed past. Northwards we went over the ‘sea’ of Durham and through Ferryhill, more power used as the engine charged the bank at Browney and slowed over Stonebridge for the approach over the viaduct and into Durham. Family joined the train here before onwards again, with the 47 on rear adding extra weight. Union showed there was power to spare as she climbed the bank and onto the King Edward Bridge before the stop in ‘Toon’ – a sight of the A4 being front lit from the side was taken with the Castle keep in the back ground. Gorgeous.

Union then took water at Heaton before then powering again northwards. The run went well and was consistent with speed, often with good pace. Along the cost the tour ran happily before then slowing on the approach to the Royal Border bridge with the views spectacular from the train, while the gallery down on the side looked upwards at the scene.

Again, water in a loop while locals looked on. Then it was noted that the class 47 had been turned on and was heard ticking over, the Sulzer boat engine sounding almost melodic. From Berwick the accelleraton was noticeably impressive for the size of train and gradient. A clear sign of assistance from the rear. With the A4 still providing power and the 47 banking the tour was racing towards Grantshouse before being looped at Drem. Here it was obvious we were waiting for a platform at Waverley. We set off, heading in towards the Scottish capital and entered onto the new platform 2 where the engine was admired by its passengers and passers by alike.

With the tour being serviced my family and I had chance to have a nice lunch and admire Hollyrood House – no lunch for us on the train in pleb class. Soon our say in Edinbrugh with the fantastic weather was almost done and we returned to the station. 47245, our stalwart helping where needed to turn the train, brought the stock back in.

After waiting for a LNER service to depart, Union was given the road and we sped off down out of Edinbrugh. Speed was brisk as the landmarks passed by and the curving countryside down towards Berwick was taken with ease. Over the Royal Border bridge again slowly, before off into the loop for water where our faithful road tanker was waiting for us.

Water replenished we set off again, with a fast run down to Newcastle, albeit looped twice for traffic to pass and service trains in front. During each departure I looked to see if much assistance was coming from the 47, not much seemed to be the case, although on occasions we might have had assistance. Once past Morpeth the run was steady, as we followed down the service train. Into Newcastle and a few took the chance for a dash to the front for a photo. Then it was a run down to Durham where I and my family left the train for the day. On departure Union lost her feet once or twice, the driver David Blair working the controls by shutting off and reapplying power. However, impressively Union under his guidance lifted the entire train – the 47 at the back running on idle again as the vocal Brush machine ‘puttered’ as the train climbed the bank. I stood there watching Union tackle the steep grade, the exhaust beat echoing around the steep valley sides - the light of the cab reflecting off the smoke coming from the exhaust. Fears of a repeat of ‘The Heart of Midlothian’ were put to rest and I have no doubt that the driver of the 47 would have had power applied if called for.

All in all it was an excellent day out. The stewards of The Railway Touring Company were all very friendly and the train and support crew were great at operating the engine. A massive thanks should go to the support crew for all the short term changes in arrangements and the running of the engine subsequent to making the tour. A lot of work has also been put in by Ian Riley engineering under contract to see that Union both ran on the day, but also put in such superb performances and worked like an engine that was in fine form, rather than off maintenance.

Union did show what a fantastic machine it is, in the right company and with the right support. The performances of lifting far in excess of what would normally be done being load 11 plus class 47, showed why this engine will be missed if indeed plains continue that it will be retired. However, as the network gets more compact and the paths tighter in terms of timing, Union also showed the standard by which other steam engines must step up to the mark, in terms of reliability, power and network that supports the engines operation. Other engines will have a hard time reaching that left of excellence and perhaps that’s a reason why many others just do not wish to see the engine removed from the future of mainline steam. That however, is all in the care and choice of its owner, who has operated the engine and shown what can be done with a piece of engineering that is a masterpiece. It has delighted crowds and given experiences to those that follow that have caused others to take up an interest – however fleeting on occasions - in railways, steam engines or just the experience of being there when it was passing. All along the tour, those watching waved and admired the engine and those lucky enough to be on board. Perhaps the romance of the steam engine continues into the future, the friendly wave from adults and children alike a reminder of openness and enjoyment in exchanging contact with those strangers we are passing by. Perhaps also that’s why our love for an engine, which thanks to its owner and support crews and companies - has given us all so much to experience. Really that is the reason why selfishly we all want to see it continue - lest Union's heart be put out and ours broken.

Photographs and link to website added:

https://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p116226317

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  7. Sam 60103

Sam 60103 Member

Interesting to see that the northbound run had the same crew as in December. Was this the case with the southbound run as well?

8. dublo6231

dublo6231 Member

IT
    TheBlackHat - not often a post on here brings a tear to the eye, but your post above just has. Gutted to have missed this tour, alas other commitments to the rescheduled date took care of that.
    Thankfully with reports like yours and the updates, photos and videos posted on this forum have enabled many like myself to follow the tour.
    Thank you all

The Black Hat likes this.
  9. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    An excellent post,many thanks

10. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Photo link added above.

11. DWH 2848

DWH 2848 New Member

Great record of the day and an excellent sound track too!

12. MikeParkin65

MikeParkin65 Member Friend

A fine review. Just a small correction, the 47 was running when the train left York, it might not have been pushing but it was definitely ticking over.