If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The engine I want to see for the first time is...

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 7911, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I am looking forward to getting to the Swanage at some point to see Manston. She holds a special place for me, as the airfield itself is just up the road!

Mind you, can I also throw in a good word for Gervase, our Sentinel in the throes of a restoration? It will be fantastic to see an engine, regarded as a no-hoper by so many, and an engine supposedly lacking the glamour of "mainline" engines, fully fettled and ready to go.

2. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    Re: The engine I want to see for the first time in 46 years is..

The engine I want to see in Steam again, after working on her in BR Days is 35006!

3. Western Bulleid

Western Bulleid Part of the furniture

Journalist
    Now I've seen Scots Guardsman, which was top of the list, I wouldn't mind getting to see 5043 at some point and 44871 when it is done. Also any Bulleid I haven't seen before suits me.

4. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Any Castle but probably Earl of Mount Edgcumbe or Morayshire

5. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Not seen Tornado yet.

Also Hamilton, when it's finished. Remember watching it thrashing along the North Wales Coast when i was about 8...

Engines i'd like to ride behind: The Super D. Managed to see it at the Severn Valley a few years back, but it was only on freight trains that day...

6. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Glen Douglas, and if it could be arranged a trip on the Jacobite would nice too.

Realistically though probably be 6100 or 70013. Looking forward to the Scots return, and hopefully I may may see the Brit at SVR. Sadly missed all her runs in the NW last summer as I was always busy but I may get lucky this year!

7. 4472

4472 Member

Retired
    Not one but two. The Midland Compound with Leander again. Saw them go north on that snowy day when the West Coast main line was diverted via the S & C and they were told to get the trip run quick and the stock out of the way. They did and it was pure magic, poetry in motion.

8. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    P2 2001 'Cock O' The North' once the A1 boys have got over the excitement of 60163 and decide to build another loco and an original Merchant Navy should the plan to "unrebuild" one ever resurface and come to fruition.

9. yorksireenginegroup

yorksireenginegroup Well-Known Member

MECHANIC
    2500 and 5700 the 2-6-4 tank and black 5 of NRM

10. jinty182

jinty182 New Member

Student at Thornleigh Salesian College
    60008 (seeing this summer)
    44871 (when it's finished)
    And IMR Nos 2, 7 and 14

That's enough for me to be getting on with for now....
    :)

11. joshs

joshs New Member

noe of the ones i wanted to see was 70013 got to see her at the KWVR gala but still want to ride behind her the others are.

7229 when up and running if ever
    44871 riding behind it up miles platting bank
    48624 im seeing her this year
    tornado seeing her this week
    42765 as i have worked on her on the whilst she is in bits so i would love to ride beihnd her going up broadfield bank as i have never seen a crab running.

thats it Josh

12. KHARDS

KHARDS Well-Known Member

Train Planner
    As I aim to eventually "see" all preserved ex-BR standard guage locos it is the difficult ones which I wanna tick off. The North American A4s and the Terrier. Also 35022, the Binbrook Crab and other elusive ones would be nice.

From an experience point of you I wanna see either 43106 storming out of Highley or 33001 working a freight through Corfe on a beautiful summers day.

13. dhic001

dhic001 Member

Is it ok to say that I'd like to see:
    An LBSCR locomotive line up of a B1, lined up with a D1 and a K class mogul, in steam at Horsted Keynes? If I can't have that, can we please please please have A806 River Torridge in steam. Come on mid hants, you know you want to put the bogie back under her...
    Daniel

14. Mighty Mogul

Mighty Mogul Well-Known Member

Artist
    6880....in working order :)

Seeing a working Fairburn would be nice too. Closest I've got is 42085 in Loughborough shed.

15. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    It's possible to see the wheels and frames of 35022 from the GW mainline if you ever decide to go for a trip between Reading and London. They are stored outside Southall shed with the boiler from 35027 on top.

16. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Me too! I count C1's time on the Bluebell and Calborne's time in SR green as missed opportunities. I will make a point of seeing Calborne when she returns to steam (next year, perhaps?) but BR black won't be quite the same for me.

At the time of writing, I've never seen a Royal Scot. Hopefully, by Monday, I'll have seen both the survivors...

I'd love to see the four Scottish locos restored for specials in the late 1950s, particularly the Jones Goods. I don't expect I'll ever see them in steam, but just in a museum would be good. This thread has prompted me to go and look-up their whereabouts. I think one of them's at Bo'ness at the moment, isn't it?

I'll second the vote for seeing the Midland Compound in steam. I've seen her in the NRM a few times, but would love to see, and espeically, hear her in action. What does a compound sound like? Looking forward seeing the blue King out and about.

As for locos I'd like to see in steam again, after many years - T9 120 and the Adams Radial are top of the list, obviously; Blue Peter, Duchess of Hamilton (I wonder!) and (realms of fantasy, now) Green Arrow. Closer to home, U class 31806 on the MHR. That will stir some memories of my early days on the Watercress line. Isn't it funny - some of us are now getting nostalgic for memories of preservation lines the way my parent's generation did about the later days of steam on the "big railway".

17. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    No I do not currently volunteer
    60009 UoSA because I've seen Mallard, SNG and Bittern so seeing her would make a British A4 Quad. 246 Morayshire as well to complete all surviving LNER Gresley locos.

As a fantasy I'd like to see 60163 at the Bluebell via the mainline link at East Grinstead next year for the Bluebells 50th anniversary since operations began. Or 60163 and 4472 going through Haywards Heath would do. (For 4472, it's second time but about 30 odd years before I was born)

18. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    I have multiples, the North American Locomotive i would most like to see is the Union Pacific Challenger

http://k43.pbase.com/o4/31/649031/1/574 ... enger1.jpg
    http://www.upsteam.com/UP3985History.html#UP3985History

The Canadian Locomotive i would most like to see is CNR 6060
    http://www.trainnet.org/Libraries/Lib014/CN6060_1.JPG

In the UK, it sounds cliche, but the locomotive i most want to see is 4472 running, i finally tracked her down at the NRM in 2004 at the start of her now protracted overhaul, but i would love to see her in steam somwhere someday.

Other than that, of the currently running group of locos, i'd like to see 71000, 60163, either Royal Scott, Leander

19. Mr Davo

Mr Davo New Member

Galatea in steam, because I originally saw her at Barry and was moved by the fact she (allegedly) could never be rebuilt. I did see her at Carnforth's open day last year, progressing nicely.

Also B12/3 61572, I had a much loved Hornby model of her when I was 12 (with 'steam effect'), never have seen her, though she was promised at the last Barrow Hill LNER event, but didn't show up.

20. PVRC&WSUPT

PVRC&WSUPT New Member

Yes GWR 2-8-2T No 7229 would be great, =P~ however I fear that she may never steam again, being a dismantled & forgotten? member of the Riley fleet. So we will have to contend with either 7200 or 7202 instead if they ever get finished. 7229 is different to the other two as she is straight framed after the cylinders, whereas 00 & 02 are stepped after the cyls, thus making 7229 unique! Maybe a project for the 7820 Dimore Manor boys to take on to go with 3850, after all arn't they supposedly looking for another loco to do sometime? or is the 28xx at Minehead a better bet? :-k