If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The engine I want to see for the first time is...

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 7911, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    One or both of the NRM Ivatt Atlantics. What a waste putting them in a garden centre in the middle of nowhere. After the fiasco with 6100 they would be better sticking to miniature railways.

Bob.

2. conireland

conireland Member

I'd love to see an A4 because I have neither seen (first hand) or ridden behind one!

3. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    SAR GF Garratt 2426 as I own one of its number plates.

Another replica to be constructed - a LBSCR "K" class mogul.

Cheers, Neil

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Seen this and travelled behind it a few years back, would like the chance again..

5. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
  6. Spinner

Spinner Member

Public Servant
    I wouldn't mind seeing your No 5 either.

My preference would be to see (and ride in) Pichi Richi Railway's NJAB-1.

Cheers

7. GHWood

GHWood Member

There will be people on here far more knowledgeable than me on this subject on here but I know the RPSI were quite restricted as to where the no. 85 'Merlin' could go due to her weight which meant she couldn't be used as much as they would have perhaps liked. 'Maeve' is, of course, far bigger and heavier again.

I too would love to see the CDR 2-6-4T running. Wonder if anyone from those who are restoring the loco have considered asking the IMR about bringing her to the Isle of Man for a visit/ running in? Probably too big for our loading gauge (?) and would foul the platforms (!) but it would be a good test for it charging up the bank to Port Soderick!

8. GHWood

GHWood Member

Would be lovely to see IMR No. 5 Mona restored (even if just cosmetically to begin with) rather than it's current appalling state at the back of the carriage shed (last painted 1967?).

9. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    I would like to see MET number 1. Have seen the loco dead, have seen it on steam on a film, but never in steam in the flesh

10. pygmy

pygmy New Member

Definitely Galatea, and for the reasons already given. To be told it would never run again, I can't wait to hear how she's progressing. =P~

11. pygmy

pygmy New Member

....oh, and if some billionaire takes too many drugs and decides to build a Leader, then I wouldn't mind seeing that as well! #-o

12. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    No I do not currently volunteer
    A GWR '28xx'/'2884' 2-8-0 is the one type I want to see in working order. I missed seeing 3822 at Didcot in use (they had some thing called 'Earl of Bathurst' running instead.) Had hoped to see 3803 at the 'Steam, Steel & Stars' gala but the 'sods' law factor has come in to spoil that one...

However never seen a '56xx' working yet, being a Swanage Railway voluinter that some which rather odd with 6695 being based there (her axles have to be blamed for that one). But 6695 should be back and 5643 will be at 'Steam, Steel & Stars'.

In fact nearly all the engines due at the Gala I never seen before working at all (bar City of Truro)!!!! \:D/

A Grange as well would be nice!

I not yet seen 1450, 65462, and a working 8F either.

13. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

One of Tyseleys panniers running from Paddington.

14. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    There were five big engines that were very hyped up last year - all destined for the main line and all likely to be popular with enthusiasts. I've already seen Tornado when she did the Valentine's Day circular round Surrey & Hampshire, and what an impressive machine. Three of the other four I have all actually seen, but not in steam, so probably it doesn't count for the purposes of this thread. However, for the record, Braunton I last set eyes on in 1996 at the WSR S&D gala before restoration began. She was not a pretty picture, to put it mildly. Earl of Mount Edgcumbe I last saw at Barry in 1971, and I have apparently seen Scots Guardsman according to an old book, possibly at Dinting about 1980. I hope I can see all three of these engines at work one of these days. However, the fifth of the new stars, 70013 Oliver Cromwell I have yet to see in any shape or form (i.e. either static, in bits or working.) I've booked a trip behind her in July and am looking forward to this, but it would be good to see this fine engine before then.

15. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Furness Railway 0-6-0 No 115 #-o

16. 7911

7911 New Member

Some good calls so far - with the credit crunch making stay-at-home holidays more appealing, could be a good year to finally see THAT engine (whatever THAT engine happens to be for you).
    I'm still sticking with Bodmin, but Pendennis Castle is a good shout, as would be a working Galatea - anyone have any idea when she's due to be finished? One of the magazines last year was pretty muich saying she was neck and neck with Scots Guardsman in the restoration race, which now seems optimistic to put it mildly!

17. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

is calbourne in lined black because its the first memory i have of steam when i was a kid, standing at ryde pier head staring at a 02 till my parents pulled me away!! i must have been about 7 at the time unfortunatly i dont know which it was

18. Widge

Widge New Member

This and that
    Lew. Wonder if it's still lurking somewhere in South or Central America?

19. camfollower

camfollower New Member

As already mentioned, an unrebuilt Merchant Navy complete with full Bulleid 'body kit' and go faster stripes... :-k

Not seen the Caprotti 5 or Blue Peter up close and personal yet but im sure it will happen in my lifetime... not so confident i can say the same for:
    =P~
    'Cock of North', Magnificent though it would be you would have to build in all the improvements/ mods that Peppercorn/Harrison/ Bond/ Cox/ Riddles might have made to get the thing to work to its potential so maybe that money would be better spent on a V2, or A3 in NE black (Back build the Scotsman to an A1 whilst we are at it) or L2 or just Get Blue Peter 're assmbled' to the same high standards being applied to 60163 and 4472. (if youre using it you're wearing it out
    [-o<
    Similarly will we ever see a 9F lifting a train to a decent speed on the mainline again ? i understand tht there are PW issues here...
    ](*,)
    Like to see one of the unrestored ones rebuilt as the BR Mikado that never quite got of Cox's drawing Board ? Great follow up project for the Clan and i want to see that in my lifetime too....
    \:D/
    Better go buy me Lottery ticket...
    8-[
    The futures Loud , the futures BR/Caprotti...

20. camfollower

camfollower New Member

Oh... and a GWR 47xx, the last word in Churchward