If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Great Britain IX

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Big Al, Mar 30, 2016.

1. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Looks as though no diesel assistance DSC_2823ha.jpg today

Sheff, Swiss Toni, 60017 and 2 others like this.
  2. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

might have to take water a few times on the way

Jon

3. Stephen Hughes

Stephen Hughes New Member

[QUOTE="

The loading is actually a lot lower than previous in terms of passenger numbers
    :-([/QUOTE]

Unfortunately RTC don't update their website, I made an enquiry a few weeks ago regarding availability on the Scottish leg and was promised a call-back which never materialised (I don't have the time to keep 'phoning them). Now I understand, I think, that some have been able to join the tour for the Scottish leg, I certainly would have done that too! But, never mind..I'm with the people who think that RTC/WCRC etc have done a great job on GB9 (but I wish RTC could improve the almost non-existent updates on their website!)

western nobleman likes this.
  4. Adam-Box

Adam-Box Member

I was more wondering if there was any specific reason stopping someone running a steam charter from Thurso?

5. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    I think it's just the logistics of getting a suitable path, the right locos, etc etc. and as I said all the aggro if it goes wrong in the smallest detail.

Adam-Box likes this.
  6. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Gunga Din on the footplate lol

7. hampstead

hampstead New Member

An alternative view DSC_0750(1).JPG

8. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    We managed to visit Dunnet Head and see a fulmar or two in beautiful warm weather,the most northerly place on the mainland and a huge walled garden!!
    Thurso to G J was rare with steam at the front and working-suspect the next steam departure will be many years hence.......
    45699 Mossend south
    45690 on to Skipton Doncaster
    Ray Mason(+Roz Mason)

9. RalphW

10. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

11. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Well, that was a long day. My pal and I started with a shot on the edge of Dingwall, about a quarter of a mile from the B&B, then straight up to Lairg for a good look around, and a shot at Tomish, immediately before the summit. Train was delayed about 20 mins at Lairg, apparently due to some problems with the Radio Electric Token Block (RETB). We wondered if that would mean changing the passing place from Forsinard to Helmsdale but watering must have been swift since they were away from Helmsdale close to time. We had full sun below Kildonan, though it wasn't the best choice since the line's nearly level and there's a level crossing Kildonan that they cross dead slow. A little higher up the strath would probably have produced better video. Never mind... In my haste to change the camera tape (yes, still using HDV) before the train appeared didn't realise I'd dropped my headphones in the heather - had to go back for them on the way home. From there, we took the pretty way to the north coast and rolled into Thurso just about the same time as the train. After a good mooch around, looking for spots we ended up at Geise with a dozen or so locals but none of the regular "photters", which was surprising, given the superb view and stone arched bridge. Perhaps it was because the loco was coasting by the time it passed us (slight down-hill gradient).

We saw the train drifting down from Kildonan to Helmsdale as we drove the other way to retrieve my headphones - a 30 minute detour. Let me recommend The Golspie Inn Hotel, beside the A9 at the north end of the village. We had fabulous roast beef with great roast spuds and veg, washed down with Loch Ness beers from the micro brewery at Drumnadrochit, for a very reasonable price. Cantering back to Dingwall, we were amazed to pass the train near Evanton, and even more amazed when we checked RTT to see it was running 20 mins early! Even though they stopped for half an hour at Ardgay to admire the view, it really shows what round-about route the railway takes.

Looks like we're going to get wet tomorrow. There's a rumour going around that 44871 will be turned tonight and go to Kyle tender first. Then again, I've heard that rumour every time I've filmed on the Kyle line, probably started by the same photographer each time, and it hasn't happened yet. At least tomorrow should be steam unassisted - provided they leave enough coaches behind.

12. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

A good day on the train today. We steamed out of Thurso, probably for the last time and the diesel helped only when it had to. And of course there was the scenery and the company and the catering. No complaints.

A few snippets to put the day in context. Even if both 5s had been available, we couldn't have used both as double headed would have been over weight limits on a bridge or two.. For a similar reason the Class 47 would have been a problem on the last leg to Wick from the junction. Finally, coming back we were early at Muir and, surprisingly were given the token for the final leg into Inverness. Had we moved off it would have stranded the Scot Rail train to Tain at Inverness until we were at Milburn Junc. Fortunately for NR and Scot Rail the WC driver queried the road and the signaller corrected the mistake.

As described it sounded to me like WC doing the right thing . That's a favour NR owes WC maybe? :)

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  13. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Providing no one posts otherwise by the morning regarding the first highlighted point, I'll try and remember to update the thread when 44871 arrives into Inverness station. Which way is more demanding gradient wise? I've always thought that Kyle-bound trains were the real challenge, with the climbs at Fodderty, Garve and Luib (all 1in50-something?) the ones I can remember straight off the top of my head. Am I right in thinking the gradients going towards Inverness aren't quite as steep or numerous?

Regarding the steam unassisted, I don't recall seeing a WCR class 37 in Inverness yard today - I'm sure this point has been raised on here before, but I didn't think 47s were permitted onto the Kyle line (route availability) so I'd have thought it would be unassisted if that's the case?

Sadly I won't be chasing too much tomorrow, I can only get one shot in each direction on the train, and of course one of those directions will be tender first. If it's a chimney first working to the Kyle, I'm debating Achanalt or Attadale (and hoping the weather while waiting for the train back to Inverness is kind!) or Achnasheen on the way back if 44871's facing Inverness...

James

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  14. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

According to IR, posting on "In the Works", the Kyle run will be chimney first to Kyle, with no diesel assistance.

mike1522 likes this.
  15. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    With a later start this morning for the Kyle run there is the chance to post a few more shots from the last few days.

Blackford and Slochd on Saturday and Invergordon and Loth old station from yesterday. Were it not for this one loco, which only a week ago looked like it may not be available, none of these four days on the Highland lines would have been possible.
    Nice to a 5 back in the highlands where they were well represented at Perth and Inverness sheds.

DSC_5443 44871 GB9 Slochd 300416.JPG DSC_5458 44871 GB9 Invergordon 010516.JPG DSC_5484 44871 GB9 Loth old station 010516.JPG DSC_5419 44871 GB9 Blackford 300416.JPG

16. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    No diesel today
    Ray Mason

17. Platform 3

Platform 3 Member

I'm sure all of those complaining about the diesel will be on here today to express joy that there will be pure steam...

Or maybe not.

18. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    You mean complaining about not having anything to complain about ? :p

19. RalphW

47s have been used on diesel charters to Kyle with speed restrictions over certain bridges.

20. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Enjoy your day.