If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Great Britain IX

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Big Al, Mar 30, 2016.

1. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

A snap of the Jub at Wandel in the Clyde Valley this evening...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/iancawthorne/26798958805/

2. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Crew were feeling around rear driving axle and oiling it. 45699 was on the move around 20.40.

3. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not the only alleged 'hotbox' of the day. One of the road coaches taking us to the hotels arrived in Bowness with smoke pouring out of it's rear axle which caused some entertainment for those of us interested in such things (but no commotion, I hasten to add).

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  4. Leslie10646

Leslie10646 New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Superb filming and a joy watch! Thanks

5. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
  6. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Wow, that was a long day. Wet, too. We started from Dingwall early enough to check out a couple of options around the Nairn viaduct at Culloden, and ended up with the classic angles - right for the sun but iffy for the wind and rain. Then off to Drummochter. Having looked at Balsporren Cottages, just below the summit, I dropped my pal in Layby 85 then zipped back to Dalwhinnie where a select few of us were treated to a slow approach from the single line and terrific acceleration through the station, past the bracket signals and away, with some nice crinkly mountains in the background. The sleeper was running rather late, so loop stops were rearranged: an extra stop at Kincraig was made to pass the sleeper, the next down train was passed on the double track section, the 3 stops at Blair Atholl, Pitlochry and Dunkeld were cut, and the tour arrived in Perth about 30 mins early. This meant we didn't get a third shot in Birnham Woods. Never mind. Thank goodness for friends on board. After a long wait in the passing showers, the last shot of 44871 was sunny - I was at Auchterarder and my pal at Gleneagles. We had to make a detour to Linlithgow to pick up pal's car, so we didn't know how far ahead of the train we'd be by the time we got back to to WCML. Happily, we were ahead of it still, and after it had taken water at Carstairs, we got shots at Crawford and Elvanton. The question now was - would it stop at Lockerbie, and for how long. The rumour was that it would but would then run non-stop to Oxenholme, recovering almost all its lateness in the process. I got a good get-away from Crawford and was in time to see two southbound trains overtake the tour in Lockerbie loop and then see Galatea make a very spirited departure up the bank. Sadly, I think I pushed the start/stop button on my camera twice! You'll just have to take my word for how good it looked. My pal had similar luck at Plumpton. He thought he must have missed it, since there were no other photographers around (doesn't have an internet phone to check RTT), so decided to change his boots prior to driving south. As he did so, the Jub flashed by...
    Ach, yes, can't even copy what's in front of me at that time of night - I'd blame the beer...

8 down, 1 to go. Early start and early finish tomorrow. Clapham, Hellifield and then head for home. Just time for a quick look at the weather forecast before bed...

houghtonga likes this.
  7. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

So Copy Pit gets a look in after all. 45690 goes back to Carnforth that way from Doncaster!

8. charterboy

charterboy New Member

And also the light engine diesel in the morning from Carnforth to donny!!!

Shame they couldn't find a path.with the ability to water on that.route for.steam

9. charterboy

charterboy New Member

Nope, ecs and the run from Grange back to Carnforth is 2 vacuum braked 47's

45690 is added at Carnforth, watered at Hellifield and taken off at Donny in.a loop

Thus sadly those on board.won't be.able to photograph only the 4th different steam loco on this.years.tour :-(

10. charterboy

charterboy New Member

So that's Day 8 finished. What should have been an epic day with climbs of.Slochd, Druimuichdar, Beattock and Shap - presumably a first for a tour? was a day full of shoving

Shap was reached at a speed higher than when I had 46233 and 5043 double.headed over.there ;-)

Either that's one powerful jubilee or there was a mighty amount of shoving.....

Thus after 5 1/2 Gb tours thats.enough from me, even if one.was to run.next.year I won't be booking

The enjoyment of those climbs was taken away from a performance perspective.

I know earlier in this thread loco (un)availability has been discussed, but foresight and planning could.have prevented this especially as.the punters had been.booked on it.for at least 6 months.

If this is the last Gb it should have been.one for all to remember

Afterall. GB5 in 2012 managed 10 different locos ;-), here we'll welcome only the 4th different loco tomorrow

deaftech likes this.
  11. 99Z

99Z Guest

Oh that's a shame...

It's days like that where it seems the hobby has become nothing more than another day at the office..

It's not as if you can grab a quick photo from the window either anymore.

That sucks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2016
  12. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

That's a real shame if that's the case (the last paragraph in particular). I hope you are put into a platform at Doncaster so you'll be able to at least see the engine!

Thanks for the info regarding the morning. 21 minutes to change the locos over at Carnforth is pushing it a bit though? Or is that just me?

Either way, the Cumbrian Coast will be a rather nice place to watch the sun come up, so I'll head there for that. If a black Jubilee turns up instead of a couple of 47s, then brill but a nice sun rise across the bay ought to be a nice way to finish my holiday!

James

13. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

A rather shiny 45690 away from Carnforth right time, with no diesel on the back! 47760 and 47580 to go light engine to Doncaster.

James

14. ficksberglion

ficksberglion New Member

15. dougy

dougy New Member

Leander this morning. P1010708.JPG

Mick45305 and Waterbuck like this.
  16. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    A few of yesterday's images from the southbound trip.
    Inverness to Oxenholme was an ambitious target, the delay at Perth which turned an early arrival into a late departure only guaranteed the diesel assistance south of Mossend.
    Neither steam loco was making a token appearance but it was evident from the speed of the climbs that the Class 47 wasn't just idling.

Culloden viaduct in silhouette from the bank of the River Nairn west of the viaduct.
    An unexpected flash of sunshine from the lazy man's location in the layby near Drumochter summit.

45699 in the Upper Clyde Valley between Abington and Crawford while the sun flirts with the edge of the cloud.
    And an interruption to my fish and chips south of Lockerbie as Galatea head south at a rate that turned the late running into a near on time arrival.
    And that marked the end of my seeing GB9 as I'm not in a position today to see anything of Leander.

No doubt we all have our views on the success of this tour. After last year's issues it has been great to see the efforts made to run the tour and to have steam on the front but such a shame the the unavailability of so many locos meant that the diesel assistance was inevitable in so many locations. A real let down for those whose reason for travelling is to experience the performance of the steam loco but I don't think anyone who went for a trip around the country can have been too disappointed have reached everywhere the tour was intended to go.

What of the future, who knows I certainly hope someone will have the motivation to go back to the far north.

DSC_5537 44871 GB9 Culloden Viaduct 030516.JPG DSC_5547 44871 GB9 Drumochter 030516.JPG DSC_5561 45699 Abington 030516.JPG DSC_5564 45699 GB9 Lockerbie 030516.JPG

17. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Few people grumbling where I'm sitting, which is in the brake carriage. Aside from a push at the bottom, there was surprisingly little discernable diesel assistance on Beattock, and two of us were listening out for it intently. I'd also say that the warm bearing at Oxenholme is proof that some work was being done at the front. You can't please everybody...

RalphW and RayMason like this.
  18. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Definitely the quote of the trip! And that, of course, is why you shouldn't attempt to try and please everybody.

But with GBIX now on its last leg (and bearing in mind the original post, some will say on its last legs) it's probably fair to say that this year's trip was fundamentally different from 2015. Last year, much was promised that self evidently was not going to happen with steam, given the circumstances, and for that I can see that some will not forgive those who were economical with the truth, or maybe simply naive. This year, the itinerary went as planned but factors beyond the control of the organiser and operator led to everything that transpired - i.e. underpowered motive power for some routes with the inevitable diesel assistance and the main line anticlimax north of the border, in particular, if you were on it for steam and some notable hills.

The fact that so much unravelled because of a hiccup with one locomotive, the failure of another and the tight maintenance schedule of a third, should make us realise how fragile the whole business is and how, in practice, locomotive availability is not what it seems. Yet one look at the tour programme confirms that, despite this, much continues to be promised. It was remarked on this thread that some previous GB trips have used twice as many locomotives as this one and this year was hanging on a thread steam-wise before 44871 was repaired.

All credit to the RTC for running these tours but if this is the last one of this scale I can understand completely why that is the case when you just cannot rely on what you are led to believe will be available and there is no back-up steam in the wings. I remain convinced that "less is more" in this market. As an example, the VT programme has always been modest and generally successful, possibly for that reason. It will be interesting to see whether other operators scale back a bit.

Have started a thread in General Railway Chat to celebrate the programme of round Britain tours.
    https://www.national-preservation.c...n-of-steam-tours-around-great-britain.702971/

19. CALEDONIA

CALEDONIA New Member

Retired
    Leander heading through Eldroth this morning

Attached Files:

20. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    45690 2b.jpg

In glorious weather, LMS 5XP Class 4-6-0 No. 45690 'Leander' heads the final leg of GBIX towards Keerholme and onwards to London

26D_M, walkerp1, Kje7812 and 12 others like this.