If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Great Britain IX

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Big Al, Mar 30, 2016.

1. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So tour arrived at Kings Cross and Leander safely home to carnforth, all done for this year.

DOH46229 likes this.
  2. 981smithy

981smithy Member

Footage of Leander on the final day...........

Hope you enjoy.

3. DOH46229

DOH46229 New Member

4. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    This leg isn't going to cause significant timetable disruption if it doesn't run perfectly.

5. charterboy

charterboy New Member

45699 didn't go to Doncaster ;-)

No headboard was put on any of the.diesels

45699 carried the headboard from Grange to Sellafield on day 4 where it was removed in a position if safety with no ohl

45690 carried the headboard today, day 9 from.Carnforth to Hellifield whereby again it was removed

6. charterboy

charterboy New Member

That's probably because not many people were seated in the brake coach or indeed one of the met cam pullmans ;-)!!

Yes work was being done up.from by the steam locos, but as per my post yesterday evening, day 8 contained.4 of the bigger climbs for steam locos and thus a great shame that they involved shoving of some degree

Regardless of whether the train was on time or running late shoving would have occurred.

western nobleman and RayMason like this.
  7. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

So what would have happened if you had been in charge?

Johnb and RayMason like this.
  8. charterboy

charterboy New Member

Well after they weren't delivered on last year's farce which was.Gb8 and given.that this.was supposedly the last ever.gb tour, I would have ensured some contingency in case of late loco.withdrawal

Albeit loco withdrawal is unfortunate there are currently other locos.available, which had a.contingency been in place, could have been.gauged if necessary

Still, the photters got steam up front.puffing away in their photos and the posh class were too busy stuffing their faces to.notice the.shoving, so let's forget about the.steam.enthusiasts in first class who've paid.a.couple.of grand each year to enable this grand tour.to.actually take place...... ;-)

deaftech, western nobleman and 47406 like this.
  9. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

Your contingency I assume would have a loco sitting in steam somewhere with a support crew waiting just in case they were needed then?

Dave B

sycamore and burnettsj like this.
  10. stevenjcrozier

stevenjcrozier New Member

Fantastic shots

Steven

RalphW likes this.
  11. 99Z

99Z Guest

Or put two on the front and leave the diesel on the shed.

Where have all the steam loco's gone, if only 4 were available for this trip ?

Given 4 prolonged periods of bans in 3 years, one would have thought the mainline steam fleet would be in tip top condition, Crews hungry and eager for work.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2016
    charterboy and western nobleman like this.
  12. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    *Stretches arms and yawns*

13. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Without knowing the detail of the GB tour, it doesn't take an expert to realise that it is far more complicated than, say, nine separate one day trips. Aside from dealing with the hotels, coach transfers and looking after the general well-being of everyone, the train related logistics and the people involved must have been considerable. And then there are the hidden potential issues like, for example, the fact that 44871 was in continuous steam for the best part of a week. Nothing unusual there at one level except the fact that there is the minor matter of ongoing maintenance and prep/disposal using the same people.

@99Z asks where all the steam locos have gone. A good question and actually not an issue that has anything to do with either the RTC or WCRC except that Scots Guardsman was not available although they did provide a substitute. So we are back to the whole fragility of providing steam locomotives that are seen to be reliable and available when they have been pre-booked for charters.

Without naming names, it is self evidently becoming more apparent that some locomotives and loco groups seem to be more reliable than others yet with every locomotive there is a risk. One way to manage that is to use the heritage fleet as carefully as some owners already do, not overcommit them, leave space for regular maintenance rather than 'light-up and go again' tactics and increase loco hire fees to maintain income. That will push up the cost of steam charters and lead to less of them but I think that may be a good thing.

This will apparently be the last GB tour but there is nothing to stop much shorter 3 day trips continuing and I think there remains an attraction in that model. Plenty of options come to mind - Cornwall, South Wales and of course the West Highland. So thinking caps on everyone.

14. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

This is a myth that is often repeated on NP. I only travel in "posh class" and I assure you that many there are knowledgeable and discerning and dislike shoving diesels.

15. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    And I wonder what class charterboy was in???

16. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

Disrespectful to those who pay the most class judging by his stuffing their faces remark.o_O

Dave B

John Stewart likes this.
  17. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Why should anyone take offence from charterboy's remark? I don't, I enjoy the opportunity to stuff my face from time to time.

Andrew Young and Small Prairie like this.
  18. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer

He's only been on virtually all the GB's over the years (as have others). Whereas some people on this forum haven't been to see it,never mind travel on it.

19. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Day 9 began with the earliest start of the trip (for me) and the shortest "working" day - up at 05:45, all done by 10:00. OTOH, it also gave my pals and me the most of what we were interested in filming: unassisted steam in sunshine and glorious scenery. The conditions at Clapham were perfect, with Ingleborough and Pen-y-ghent clear in the distance, curlews, lapwings and larks calling across the moors, bright sunshine and only a moderate breeze. Leander put on a great performance (so much for my "well-informed source" :oops:) and I didn't mess up the long pan through Clapham station and over the viaduct. My final shot was on the edge of Hellifield, complemented by an good array of semaphore signals. The trip home was uneventful, and I had the car unloaded and the kettle on by 3:30pm. It was a little galling, though to be driving through warm sunny weather on the last day of my holiday.

Many thanks to all involved with organising GB9. Maybe it wasn't a "classic" (3 and 5 stand out in my memory), but that wasn't for want of effort and ingenuity on the part of all those working so hard behind the scenes. I hope that RTC aren't out of pocket as a result, and will run something similar again in the future. One line-sider I met said that, when asked whether GB9 really was the last one, @meltonnorth replied "ask me again in a fortnight". Make of that what you will.

The new car behaved itself very well - 58.9 mpg over 2175 miles, no tantrums, no back-ache.

And now I'm back at work...

houghtonga likes this.
  20. charterboy

charterboy New Member

Indeed, I've been on all the Gb tours since Gb3 with the exception of GB5, thus 5 1/2 trips

Thus I think I'm readily placed to comment!!!

I only rarely frequent this forum due to the armchair wibbling

Oh and all trips have been.done first class, thus I reckon around 12/13k ploughed into the steam market as a result of travelling on these tours