If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Great Britain VII

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by steam_mad, Jul 29, 2013.

1. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

How is what I have said "rude"? A Class 5 is not powerful enough to work this train on its own. A more powerful locomotive, as originally rostered, would clearly be better for this duty if such were available. That is not a personal opinion: it is a fact, and an unfortunate one.

And who has suggested that the Class 5 is "unacceptable"? Not me. It is perfectly acceptable as the best that can be done in the circumstances. You may be reminded of the action of a fireman on the ELR, but I see no connection.

PCforT9 and Drysdale like this.
  2. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

"Nothing better than a Class 5" was the full quote. It is hardly positive and quite insulting.
    "Very disappointing replacement" to quote. Hardly an expression of satisfaction implying acceptability.
    Clearly a larger loco was originally rostered. We all now know this has not been possible but using statements of the obvious to imply a different outcome would have been desirable is pointless now and does little to improve the morale of those who are actually turning plans into reality.

Macko likes this.
  3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Just tuned into this thread again after my post #185 when I was commenting on the nightmare for the RTC/WC of a late loco failure and the possible problems with NR approving a late substitute.

Have read all the subsequent comments (plus, amazingly, the odd rant). I have to say that given the limited alternatives, the fact that steam is still on the Bristol-Carnforth leg is a definite bonus for the travellers and as far as the photographers are concerned, if they are desperate for a picture of a Duchess then no doubt there will be another opportunity.

This really does feel to me like a pretty good attempt to retrieve something out of a potential disaster. Not ideal, I agree, but definitely better than nothing. By the way, has anyone thought of the (different) support crew who will have to turn out at short notice to service this leg of the trip?

Time for a few people to 'get real' over the art of the possible, I think.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Shoddy127, green five, RalphW and 4 others like this.
  4. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Couldn't agree more but the reaction to the black 5 in some quarters has been unwarranted given the circumstances. The response to this point being made has been anything but reasonable and reasoned in those same quarters.

5. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Come on guys. This is going to be another amazing steam tour around Britain. Well into the 21st century too, 46 years after it all ended.

Yes of course there will have to be changes in locos at short notice. And of course that will not be to everyone's liking. But I would have thought those booking on the train at a very significant cost are well aware of the fragility of the steam scene in 2014, and pay their money with that knowledge.

No, I'm not on it. And I may never go on another steam trip in the UK as my own loco/route/timing preferences are somewhat narrowly focussed.

That is my choice, but it doesn't stop me enjoying the reports etc here on Nat Pres of what is still happening on Britain's main lines. Regardless of what steam motive power is used.

And, I am determined to put on a brave face regardless of what motive power/timings are eventually sorted for the 50th anniversary of the last ACE out of Waterloo, (I'm not booked on it yet and may not do for the reasons above). So if I do start whinging later, someone please copy this post and add a link to my apology thread when the time comes!

green five likes this.
  6. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    OK this aspect of the tour has now been well and truely discussed and it's now getting to the 'flogged to death' stage, so can we please call it a day. Any more 'just a last comment' posts may be removed.

7. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I hear the Duchess has been repaired but needs a test run which couldn't be arranged this week.

8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

So hopefully ok for the return from York and, of course, the SD leg from London with the Cathedrals Explorer.

9. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    I'll add some positivity into this thread then...

WHL Quicker By Rail.jpg

Quick poster, based on the LMS/LNER 'Loch Long' advertising poster from the 1930's. Just as a reminder that, even if the motive power goes through numerous changes, and through all the hiccups, one of the main pulls of the GBVII is the chance to see many variating scenes and landscapes within the UK!

KristianGWR and EltonRoad like this.
  10. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Nicely done but I think the caption should be "it's better by rail"....

11. Does anyone happen to know if following the succesful test run of 34067 yesterday she may be reinstated with Braunton tomorrow, or is it way too late now? I think I know the answer but had to enquire.

12. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

No since it is rostered to work the "GOLDEN ARROW STATESMAN" tomorrow.

EveningStar92220 likes this.
  13. Thanks. Just glad to see her back out working mainline!

14. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Times for GB VII Day 4 (Grange-Edinburgh) and Day 5 (Edinburgh-Stranraer-Ayr) are now available on RTT and at www.uksteam.info.
    Day 3 is still not on RTT. I expect the times are being reworked for a 60mph maximum.

David

15. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Battledown 3 late going nicely. No DL on the back but 47 ran down 10 minutes in front.

Don

16. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

34046 arrived and departed the Winchfield water stop pretty much exactly on time and all looking good. The 47 passed on the fast during the stop. From RTT it looks like the 47 is going on the back at Salisbury? Hope this is not the case but I suppose a seperate path for it Salisbury/Exeter could be a problem.

17. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

I got out the old Flip Video this morning and got this footage of Braunton heading through Woking. Nice whistle and no diesel!

18. OldGit

OldGit New Member

Braunton powers through the gloom and drizzle at Wandsworth Town this morning.

Attached Files:

Drysdale likes this.
  19. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired

Day 1 - Leg 1 - Braunton Slowly gliding along up the hill up into Virgina Water, the diesel 6 minutes behind at this point.

20. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I went out to see GB7 today but not one of my best days. I went to Whiteball to see Nunney but she appeared with a diesel on the front. Then went to Honiton Bank to see Braunton, but on playing back the video there was a problem with my mic. Went nearer home to Plymouth to see Nunney turning on the triangle but she went earlier than scheduled, so I missed her. It was now pouring with rain so I gave up and went home. Some you win and some you lose. Here's hoping for better luck on Sunday.