If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Great Britain VIII

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by steam_mad, Jun 19, 2014.

1. the-gog

the-gog Member

There's this: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U55480/2015/05/05/advanced
    1Z89 Stirling to Grange-over-Sands, due to depart Stirling 10:57.

2. western nobleman

western nobleman Member

Ex-member due to inflamnatory posts by Mr Knowun
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Passengers catching Highland Chieftain HST Inverness - Stirling (more capacity problems) & at Stirling rejoining the tour stock for departure via Beattock & Whitehaven to Grange over Sands. (This has been quoted as likely to be 67015 but not yet confirmed)

At Grange there should be buses to hotels.

EDIT The Gog beat me to it

3. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So, thats two failed diesels this trip. Bout time they were banned.

KentYeti and LMarsh1987 like this.
  4. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Following difficulties in finding steam and diesel powered transport, RTC is to be renamed to ... er ... RTC - the *Road* Touring Company, offering a wide range of coach tours to heritage railways. ;)

oddsocks and Greenway like this.
  5. western nobleman

western nobleman Member

Somebody put the AA, RAC & International Rescue on standby

6. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
  7. John Devon

John Devon New Member

I think that if I was a GB8 ticket holder, I would have long ago had a conversation with the credit card company that I used to buy the ticket. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall listening to the subsequent conversation between the card provider and the unfortunate RTC.
    I don't doubt that some ticket holders will have done just that. Interesting to see how much compensation they get out of the card provider. A varying scale according to when you bailed out?

8. Tom wants steam

Tom wants steam New Member

I was on Great Britain VIII - I left it in Edinburgh. I think RTC was in an impossible situation. WCR kept telling them that they had fixed the problems and had applied to NR for reinstatement. Even last Thursday they were saying there are only 2 minor issues outstanding. If RTC had cancelled and WCR had got their authority back then WCR would have demanded full payment from RTC.
    I would comment that the first 2 days with Britannia were a remarkable performance if there was little or no diesel assistance – clearing Whiteball Summit eastbound at 68mph would have been a record. Actually it seems that the DB Schenker freight drivers decided that as they were in charge of an express passenger train they would set new records for DBS Class 66s, most certainly the Taunton-Bristol sector was completed in 2/3rds of scheduled time. I would hate to think what a steam daytrip would be like if DB Schenker performed as they did with GB VIII.
    Unfortunately I can understand WCR’s optimistic statements [to RTC] – just look at what they put out on their web site and the only "WCR" train that ran since was GB VIII run by DB Schenker – and I can also understand RTC’s dilemma. Each of us on the train were well aware of WCR’s situation and like RTC pretended that it could be resolved. Being in Premier Class, except for the missing steam locos the tour was what I expected – good meals, very nice hotels and efficient bus transport where necessary.
    However now I await 15th May and the decisions of both NR and ORR. I suspect WCR will not be running trains for some time and we could be witnessing the effective end of steam on the National Network except for the very pricey but classy Belmond.

oddsocks, Martin Perry and 47406 like this.
  9. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Lets not forget the other DBS trains; though even these tend to be Londoncentric and on the pricey side. 60163 is certainly be going from fasting to feasting

10. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Tom, welcome to Nat Pres and thanks for the inside info.

oddsocks and spicer21 like this.
  11. rule55

rule55 Member

Can I echo Sheff's welcome also.

I very much sympathise with the position you were put in but I would like to comment on one point you've made regarding DB Schenker's involvement. All the DB Schenker drivers who are rostered on charter trains are fully 'class 1' trained and their competency has to be kept up to date for them to be allowed to continue driving passenger trains - any early arrival in Bristol was probably more a reflection of the leisurely path rather than a gung-ho driver (particularly when it is considered that a class 66 is limited to 75mph anyway!)

The small core of DBS steam crews are well respected both within this community and with other steam charter customers - I'm sure you'd have no complaints if you book to travel on one of Tornado's Pathfinder or UK Railtour trips or, for that matter, any of the Torbay Expresses through the summer.

Here's hoping that last week hasn't put you off mainline steam for good!

12. western nobleman

western nobleman Member

It would seem that the final leg originally due to run Grange - Kings Cross (arriving this evening - Wed) had been further amended to return to London Victoria via Copy Pit, Lincoln, Finsbury Park & the North London Line.

Late yesterday this was reportedly further revised (though timings have not yet appeared on RTT) to run as a Carnforth - Euston direct & presumably arriving about 4 hours earlier.

It is rumoured that the remaining passengers, just to be sure, have arranged a reception by the lady below on arrival.

13. Tom wants steam

Tom wants steam New Member

A clarification re DB Schenker

I am not criticising DB Schenker steam crews in any way. In fact after the first day I thought that RTC should have asked DB Schenker if they could do steam on the last day. The second day when someone insisted that the diesel piloted Britannia from Exeter was a farce. We could hear when Britannia was actually pulling and it was only through some stations and on a few other occasions, I doubt it was more than 15% of the whole Exeter to Bristol leg.

I am concerned that DBS did not allow the steam loco to do its thing. Pathing was based on a 60mph limit, the diesel ran at 75mph not giving the steam engine a chance

I am not put off steam and am saving (plus getting a mortgage) for a Belmond trip. The Belmond timings are slow enough for DBS to be confident with 35028/60163, even if there is a Class 67 behind !!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  14. rule55

rule55 Member

On a Class 66 the EM2000 (the loco's computer system) will initiate a penalty brake application at 78mph having already shut off power when the speed exceeds 75mph. Also, the EM2000 speed is taken from the loco's radar so is unlikely to be out of calibration.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
    joe_issitt likes this.
  15. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

So the last leg of GB VIII sets off today. It's just so sad that the journey will be diesel as the revised route is an attractive one. It even takes a diversion off the ECML via Lincoln and Spalding. That, at least means some of the travel weary RTC staff on board will have the option of getting off nearer to home.

16. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Well-Known Member

Now Carnforth (1054) - Euston (1552) via Northampton.

Andrew N

17. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

At least it gets it over with quickly for those who have endured to the end.

18. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

That's probably one of the more suspect bits of speculation that I think we could do without on here, imo. Britannia is restricted to 75 mph, so is the diesel. There is no issue.

And by the way. Taunton to Bristol is 45 miles. The train took 45 minutes. I've done that with steam in that time so there can hardly be any suggestion that this was unnecessarily quick. However, I do admit to not being on the train.

rule55 likes this.
  19. bakabung

bakabung Well-Known Member

Cat servant
    Interesting. Shown on RTT on time approaching Lancaster but destination still Victoria.

joe_issitt likes this.
  20. western nobleman

western nobleman Member

Euston confirmed as destination.