If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Gwili Railway thread

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Matt78, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Update
    Work is underway at Llwyfan Cerrig ahead of the new season. It is a busy time as we are extending the miniature railway and building a new visitor centre, pictures available here

Llwyfan Cerrig Visitor Centre | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Extension work has paused in the last week or so but hope to have some further updates soon

Should be a few announcements in the near future generally so keep an eye on this thread!

Regards

Matt

2. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    There are some more photos of track laying today on the railway's Facebook page. Head of steel is now alongside the "waterfall" which was shown in gwilialan's post a few weeks back (post 214) I think that makes about 15 panels in total now since we resumed work, now getting into the rhythm anyway!

3. gwilialan

gwilialan Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Matt, Facebook - again?

4. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    No idea how to get them for general consumption sorry! Where is JWKB, he might know!

I can tell you they do look good though....

5. Dan Bennett

Dan Bennett Member

South Western Railway Fitter
  6. JWKB

JWKB Member

7. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Another panel inserted today, the next track bash is this weekend so more progress to report soon hopefully.....

regards

Matt

8. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Oh, dear, someone needs to go back to school on the fleecebook... "Thanks for you'r support". It should be "Your" (possessive), and definitely NOT "You're", as in "You are". Pedantic, but it certainly distracts attention from the message.

9. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Another 5 panels have been inserted since my last update, one in the week and 4 yesterday. The plan is for another 4 to be inserted today which will take us to the end of the slepeepers currently laid. Some more earthworks are required before the next phase of tracklaying. The completion of this phase means that by tonight 22 panels will have been laid since we resumed tracklaying at the start of January (or 440 yards) with the next milepost of 247 (III) in sight.

There are photo on facebook again

http://www.facebook.com/gwili.railway

Also we might have a little announcement sometime this week so keep watching.......

Regards

Matt

10. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    more photos on facebook from yesterday showing the rails right up to the end of the sleepers laid so far

http://www.facebook.com/gwili.railway

work on the extension will now pause for a few weeks while we get the existing railway ready for the forthcoming season,

Regards

Matt

11. m20cru

m20cru New Member

not on facebook again,
    where can the people not on facebook see the photos?

12. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

The problem is that Gwili Railway is using an person-type account when it should be using a Facebook page. That way non- (Facebook) members should be able to see the galleries by going to the site. And also you don't have to be friends with Gwili Railway you can just like or unlike. The account can be converted - see Converting Your Personal Account to a Facebook Page | Facebook Help Centre | Facebook

13. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    MAJOR Update.......

Great News! We have received official confirmation of a grant in the sum of £66,421 awarded towards the Carmarthen Extension. The sum has been provided by the Carmarthen County Council's Strengthening the Tourism Appeal in Rural Carmarthenshire Grant Scheme, in conjunction with the Welsh Assembley Government and the European Agricultural Fund for Regional Development. This, combined with earlier grants awarded and the fundraising efforts of the Gwili Railway Company and Preservation Society will mean that our new station at Carmarthen will be seeing trains for the first time in Easter 2014. There is much to do, but everyone on the railway is delighted that our long standing aim of extending the line to Carmarthen will be realised in the near future. It's going to be a busy old year!

The grant covers the ballasting of the line, and the construction of the platform at Carmarthen. At this stage there will be no public access at Carmarthen.

Our appeal is still open, if you feel inspired to contribute then log on to
    https://www.gwili-shop.co.uk/index.php?catidtree=1992

we still need to raise a bit more cash to cover the unexpected, so please help us realise the dream!

Regards

Matt

14. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    That is brilliant news Matt. I will have to visit again when the new section is open.

15. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

Right - have you sorted out making your facebook account into a page yet?

16. thb17

thb17 Member

National Key account manager
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I have nothing to do with this however there are a number of advantages of having a Facebook page as a friend.. It gains access far more to people's feeds therefore it's far more targeted advertising... People befriend the page get far more updates on there feed and they are notified by developments in the notifications... So it makes sense to me as a good way to market the service on offer.

17. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

No it doesn't - it means you have to approve friend requests (work for you), and crucially, your potential likers are both (1) expecting you to be able to use Facebook properly and (2) might not be particularly willing to share their own personal information with you, which they have to do with your present setup. so you might get more of your content onto the newsfeeds of your "friends" but you'll do yourself out of a number of friends by doing so.

Finally, it violates Facebook's requirements for not making fake personal accounts.

18. thb17

thb17 Member

Well it seems very successful to me anyway.

Firstly you can choose not to share certain information with certain friends on Facebook. So your personal information argument is totally invalid.

All the information is posted (all be it a little later) on the national preservation forum. Also all the pictures are available at the Gwili's Flickr account.

Thats the route they have decided to go down and a lot of local people use the page on a regular basis.

I just searched the Avon Valley railway and they are able to have 80,000 visitors a year and they have only just adopted a proper Facebook page.

I'm sorry Tony but I feel the benefits out weigh the drawbacks...

may I just re confirm that I have nothing to do with it.

Regards Tom

19. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    All the comments re facebook are noted, but seeing as my last post contains (probably) the most important news about the railway for some time, I hope that it doesn't get buried in discussion about social media!

Regards

Matt

20. thb17

thb17 Member

Agreed Matt! It's a great achievement. It's now a reality that we shall actually see passenger trains for the first time in 50 years along a new stretch of line..