If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Jacobite 2016

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by steamvideosnet, May 17, 2016.

1. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That was the last coach on the set that year. I don't recall seeing any graffiti any other years.

2. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
  3. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It was the last coach but I'm sure it was 2012 certainly not last year when this shot was taken
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    1020 Shireman and RalphW like this.
  4. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    It was 2012 John, just had a look and the graffiti is visible in a few of the shots., the affected coach was 7th in the set so it wasn't particularly obvious.
    A stunning week of weather it was too .

5. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Let's hope for another good one next week, long range forcast at least looks dry but in the Highlands who knows

6. ribble

ribble Member

Thanks Henry

7. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    Well, today had forecast full cloudy skies with lots of rain.

It wasn't totally wrong, the forecast just forgot to mention a bit of light in the Glenfinnan area :

[​IMG]Peppercorn K1 No. 62005 - Glenfinnan by Jonathon Gourlay Photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]Peppercorn K1 No. 62005 - Glenfinnan Waters by Jonathon Gourlay Photography, on Flickr

I should also add in these two of No. 45407 facing Fort William last week. Again, never trust the forecast! Indications were full sun both Wednesday and Thursday afternoons....and while in Mallaig this was true, Loch Nan Uamh Viaduct both days clouded over with seconds to go....however, those on the stretch between there and Loch Eilt were slightly luckier.

[​IMG]Black 5 No. 45407 - Mallaig by Jonathon Gourlay Photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]Black 5 No. 45407 - Morar by Jonathon Gourlay Photography, on Flickr

8. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Really like the one leaving Mallaig, a clear view of Skye is unusual. I don't usually take to much notice of what the weather man says, there is an old Yorkshire saying that in the Pennines you can get all four seasons in a day, in the Highlands in can happen in 10 minutes as anyone who remembers the rainbow shot at Glenfinnan will know.

9. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    In his book Taking the Train, Michael C Baker writes of W J V Anderson "I've no doubt that the sun in Scotland shines according to the same principles as it does everywhere else, but Bill Anderson could create the illusion that in those northern regions, it did things when he was out and about with his camera that it did for on one else." On the basis of not just these photos, Jonathon, but also after having looked at some other of your Scottish steam shots, I would say that you have the same W J V Anderson touch! Superb pictures. I've never taken pictures in light like that down here in the south of England.

Rich and Louise and RalphW like this.
  10. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit

John
    I'd certainly agree about the quality of Bill Anderson's pictures. Much of that comes as much from the equipment he used. Negatives on glass pates in superb light are still I think a match for today's cameras.
    Both he and Derek Cross (Steam in Scotland vols 1&2) were among the very earliest influences on me as a photographer.

One thing you need to remember about the north and west of Scotland is that there is a good deal less atmospheric pollution to cause diffusion and thus affect the clarity of the light. That together with the different (warmer) colour temperature that comes from being further north will result in a completely different 'feel' to the lighting of a photograph when compared to say Northern England or the South East. I have an article somewhere still in which Derek Cross wrote that his opinion was that the lighting could vary by as much as a stop when comparing Lancashire and rural Scotland. Jonny's pictures have certainly captured that lighting very well. That said you have to be there when the sun is actually shining.

Moving away from Railways as a photographic subject it's well worth looking at some of the books by Colin Prior to see some stunningly lit images of Scotland - I'd certainly recommend Highland Wilderness and High Light.

Scott

11. Rich and Louise

Rich and Louise Member

Colin Prior is giving a talk at Buxton Arts Centre 16th Nov - I assume he's on tour.

12. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    Thank you very much John. I've been lucky, and to be fair there are a numerous amount of less glamorous photographs I have taken up here that have never been published.

As Scott has said, the clarity in the landscape due to the very little pollution and the rugged nature of the terrain all adds to the photographs, and I often feel that the West Highlands are one of the places you can take a photograph of just an exhaust trail and it not feeling lost in among clutter. I'm also at an advantage that, having only decided to start using a car early last year, most of the scenic Scottish shots are within a daytrip from my Fife home. While I don't have the luxury that many down South do, where the likes of North Yorkshire Moors, Keighley and Llangollen are within an hour or so drive away....the ability to get to Fort William in 2 1/2 hours, Aviemore in 2 hours and Bo'ness within 40 minutes lets me take more chances when I see favourable forecasts.

That's not to say I take full notice of forecasts, as half the time they are wrong up here anyway! The attached two photographs will demonstrate. Taken on Wednesday of this week of No. 62005, a day where it was to be a challenge instead brought us huge blue skies!

[​IMG]Peppercorn K1 No. 62005 - Glenfinnan Viaduct by Jonathon Gourlay Photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]Peppercorn K1 No. 62005 - Glenfinnan by Jonathon Gourlay Photography, on Flickr

The Thursday however, which was forecast for spectacular conditions instead brought thick grey skies with no chance of lighting up a scene. Such is life up this way, and still another week left to go!

13. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Very nice Jonathon, that one leaving Glenfinnan from up the hill is on my list to do as is the radio mast shot opposite Corpach. I'm heading off on the 500 mile trip tomorrow morning so keeping my fingers crossed. Highland weather also seems to be very localised, I've had driving rain at Glenfinnan but a couple of hours later been sitting outside the pub in Arisaig in my shirtsleeves.

14. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Good luck John see you up there, in shirtsleeves hopefully

15. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Be nice to see you Henry, look out for a blue Merc or call in at the Grog and Gruel, I'll be in there every night, the real reason for going!

henrywinskill likes this.
  16. Karlh

Karlh New Member

26D_M, 5098 and Mick45305 like this.
  17. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Lovely stuff, Karl. Enjoy your week; hope the weather holds.

18. 61994

61994 Member

Been a brilliant first 2 days weather wise, hope for some more even if the forecast doesn't want to believe! ;)
    Just wondering if someone could help, Im trying to pinpoint the shot in the Monessie gorge for saturdays tour, so far only worked out the basic location on maps but can anyone shed any light on where abouts the path to the shot is? It will be much appreciated :)

19. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

I've done it but I parked in the hostel car park and walked along the track but there must be another route to the bridge over the Gorge, I will ask Ben Collier tomorrow. Where are you staying, a lot of us can be found in the Grog in the evening

61994 likes this.
  20. 61994

61994 Member

Thanks for your help, we're staying in Onich at Snowberry cotagges. Visited the Grog in July so we'll try and get back sometime this week :)