If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Jacobite 2020

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by NeilL, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Sam 60103

Sam 60103 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    An absolute stunner! Love the autumn colours as well as the views west to (I think) Eigg and Rum.

acorb and Macko like this.
  2. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Macko likes this.
  3. Macko

Macko Member

So sun has been very hard to come by since the weekend, but conditions have been "atmospheric" at times.

Mr Riley driving his favourite engine Black Five 45407 creates an S curved steam trail back along the length of Loch Eil, seen here near Fassfern.

[​IMG]
    Atmospheric Morning at Fassfern
    by Phoenix Images, on Flickr

Spitfire, DWH 2848, acw71000 and 13 others like this.
  4. Macko

Macko Member

So I used all my saved up Sungod power today, called on the spirit of Bob Green to be present and give me a break today!
    Despite heavy rain all the way from Fort William, I spotted some light on the hills so quickly pulled in and got on the hill as quickly as I could.
    Five days of rain suddenly forgotten ...

[​IMG]
    Saving all the luck for the last day

5. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Wow! Save some magic for Sunday please!

Macko likes this.
  6. Macko

Macko Member

Sorry my actual last day is tomorrow and I needed that, I was having a good whinge in the middle of the week about how wet and dull it had been most of the time :)
    If you can get a lucky break, the colours are beautiful this year. I would encourage you to ignore the weather in Fort William and hit the road every day. The best conditions have always been nearer to the coast at Mallaig.
    Good hunting, strong winds for the next couple of days might start removing a lot of these leaves so it might only last a few more days.

acorb likes this.
  7. Macko

Macko Member

8. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    I've clearly missed the sunshine this week, but admittedly I've been rather lucky to be invited to something a bit special which I feel privileged to be a part of.

[​IMG]
    Black 5's No. 45407, 45212 and 44871 - Fort William 65J
    by Jonathon Gourlay, on Flickr

With Black 5 No. 44871 joining her sisters at the Fort in late September, an opportunity arose to have all three on shed together for what may be the first time over a longer duration than a single night.
    I was invited along to take the above photo, alongside providing the lighting, during the shunt move to prep 48 and 52 for their following duties. It's a testament to both the operation of 'The Jacobite' ever growing to necessitate the use of so many engines in the North West, but also to Riley & Sons Engineering Ltd for providing such a reliable fleet of Class 5's alongside NELPG's K1 No. 62005.

Please do be aware, the yard is not open to the public as it is an operational Network Rail Yard. I was there as a valid PTS holder, under constant supervision from fellow support crew and with appropriate depot protection in place. The above was a long pause in shunt activity to allow a moment to show off the achievements of the team in the face of the ongoing difficult pandemic. Full credit to the WCRC, Riley & Sons Ltd and NELPG for the commitment to the North West this season. It hasn't been easy from all accounts, and it has required a lot of changes to the way of life up there, but I believe the team can be proud in persevering in the face of the impossible.

I have a few more shots from the evening which are being shared among the support crew first before I upload any more, but also to prevent any idea that this is a regular and open event.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  9. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Lovely. Reminiscent of O Winston Link.

10. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Excellent Jonny

11. Macko

Macko Member

It's a good job I didn't know about this staying less than a mile away as the temptation to find a vantage point would have been high :)
    It's a nice idea and a shame there is no way to make it an event but totally understandable why that in these days is simply not possible.
    Please pass on my thanks to Ian and the support crew for running such an efficient excellent operation, despite the many hours in the rain and few seconds in Sun in the last week or so it has always been a pleasure to see and hear the sound of a Black 5 working hard among the stunning Autumnal landscape that is the West Highlands.

12. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

An obvious statement but it bears repetition. The Jacobite is all that is good with heritage steam - the team, the locations, the locos and the images. Well done to all.

alastair, Macko and Matt37401 like this.
  13. Macko

Macko Member

14. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Last week was my annual Autumn visit to the West Highlands. Fort William is a sad place at present with no food being served outside hotels after 6 and no alcohol served outside. The banter in the Grog is all part of the experience! Mixed Highland weather as usual but both good and bad, here are some of the results.

_DSC3644.jpg
    45407 +approaching Glenfinnan Summit, 20th October. picture taken from the radio mast hill.

_DSC3671.jpg
    I don't normally bother with tender first but I wanted to look at some different angles on the difficult to get to Arnobol Viaduct.

_DSC3676.jpg
    45407 crossing the aptly named Wetlands, 21st October

_DSC3688.jpg
    Passing Polnish, 21st October. I excluded the little Chapel from the picture as it's currently covered in scaffolding.

_DSC3711.jpg
    I've been going up there every year for 20 years so I tried to do some of the less well known and more difficult to get to locations.45407 approaching Lochailort Tunnel, 22nd October

_DSC3739.jpg
    45407 leaving Lochailort Tunnel with the sun on the autumn colours 23 October

_DSC3750.jpg
    The same day climbing to Morar Station

_DSC3763.jpg
    With a change of engine on Saturday 44871 leaving Glenfinnan. I walked across what amounted to a swamp for this shot in full sunshine, then watched the wind change and the weather go to driving rain. Driver Matt Earnshaw looking out, no doubt with thoughts to my sanity. With over 500 mile to drive home, by now I had lost the will to live and didn't chase it any further.

Finally, nothing to do with the Jacobite but a lucky chance encounter with a young red deer stag in Glen Coe on the way up there.
    _DSC3591.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  15. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

IMG_20201025_121027.jpg IMG_20201025_095529.jpg A day when we were grateful to be on the train rather than off it, though still managed to get a soaking in Mallaig.. The landscape was 'atmospheric'!
    Still, if you had asked me a few months back whether we would be riding on the Jacobite this year I would have been very doubtful.
    Thanks to all who have made this season possible in very challenging circumstances - looked to be another well loaded train today, so hopefully all worthwhile.

Spike., 3ABescot, acw71000 and 12 others like this.
  16. Macko

Macko Member

Slowly working my way through the editing. I did do a little happy dance when the sun decided to join the party at this amazing but hard to get to location at Arnibol viaduct.
    A beautiful curved viaduct deep in an ancient woodland, its locations like this is why we keep coming back.

[​IMG]
    Steam in an ancient woodland ...

DWH 2848, MellishR, Spitfire and 19 others like this.
  17. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Can I like that more than once please? That’s a cracker of a phot!

Macko likes this.
  18. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Is that taken from the hill or was it using the drone?

19. Macko

Macko Member

Drone John, no accessible hill to get this view.

20. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

There is but you would need a long lens.