If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The last Castles

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Reading General, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Copper-capped

Copper-capped Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I just looked up '7029 Clun Castle' on the above site - very comprehensive.

I was looking through Nock's 'The GWR Stars, Castles and Kings' thanks to this thread and came on this bit about 7029:

"...was the last to remain in passenger service, and worked the last steam-hauled train out of Paddington on June 11 1965. ... She was in good condition when taken out of traffic, and so needed no 'restoration' in the ordinary sense..."

Looking at the BRdatabase page for 7029 she had nine tenders, six boilers swaps and a double chimney fitted from 1950 - 1962, so it was no wonder she was in such good condition at the end! There is a heap of info there: last shed was Gloucester Horton Rd 85B, last works visit: Swindon 19/11/62 - 12/12/62 light casual. Withdrawn: 12/65.

2. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Bill Peto's individual loco sheets give boiler numbers and dates of shopping (occupying much of an A4 page in the case of the sheet which is in front of me for Manor 7817 ). I assume they are still available from the GWS.

3. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

it is indeed thanks very much, I'll be able to research the latest locos through the works from that