If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Loco You'd Love To Put A Match To

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Matt37401, Dec 20, 2014.

1. W.Williams

W.Williams Well-Known Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    [​IMG]

49. And in the same location...

2. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Farnleys finest....Bihar and Orissa.
    [​IMG]

3. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Oooh, a SE&CR G class. Lovely :)

Tom

Cartman and paullad1984 like this.
  4. 240P15

240P15 Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I would love to see the streamlined "Duchess of Hamilton" under steam!:)

And also the characteristic Bulleid Q1 for those of us who want something "unforgettable" :D

regards

Knut

5. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

This ^ . But with the superheater please.

6. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Member

Well the thing is I believe I remember hearing/reading somewhere that on most preserved railways the locos/superheaters don't get warm enough for the superheater to actually perform its function of increasing steam production while reducing consumption. The only way it would be a worthwhile addition is if the loco were to go mainline (which is highly unlikely) or were constantly being worked at its limit (perhaps somewhere like the NYMR, although I doubt it would be given permission to take a full strength train up the 1 in 49). However, I expect it would be far simpler, cheaper, and less controversial, to add a new superheater, rather than rebuild the boiler properly to saturated condition, so all in all that's probably the better option from a practical and economic point of view. Plus it doesn't bother me at all that the loco didn't get its superheater until LNER days and so strictly speaking it wouldn't be authentic to run in GNR colours. Other large atlantics were built as superheated in GNR days, and it only has a minor effect on the loco's appearance

7. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    ....... and there's that 'round wheel' idea. Where did that come from? As Hengist Pod rightly pointed out in 'Carry On Cleo', round wheels can tend to roll away.
    http://douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/polygon/polygon.htm

gwalkeriow likes this.
  8. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Superheaters do not "increase steam production" - they increase steam temperature (and dry it out) so increasing the amount of stored energy available. I would agree that on the shorter preserved lines a superheater is of little advantage. The problem with Atlantic 251 is, IIRC, that the current boiler is, for want of a better description 'de-superheated' in that the elements have simply been removed from the flues. As the large flue tubes are still in place the hot combustion gases will take 'the path of least resistance' and pass through the empty superheater flues rather than the firetubes and this will have a severely detrimental effect on the steaming rate. I seem to remember reading, that when it was last steamed in 1951?, that it did not perform well. Perhaps it would be better to leave this one 'stuffed and mounted' - after all it's new-build cousin will soon be out and about.
    Ray.

paullad1984, CH 19, 30854 and 2 others like this.
  9. banburysaint

banburysaint Member

Sterling single number 1 my 4 year old would go potty. Number 1 is Emily from Thomas

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

10. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    Although with a boiler last steamed in 1951 it would be unlikely that the elements are fit for further service, so they would have to be replaced along with the tubes and flues themselves - if it's worth it when there is a new build getting ever closer is another mater.

11. Allegheny

Allegheny Member

As the temperature of the steam increases in the superheater, it expands. In terms of the volume of steam produced, a quantity of heat added to the superheater creates a greater increase in the volume of steam, compared with the same quantity of heat added during evaporation.

12. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    It doesn't (and didn't) have any elements; one of the reasons it did not steam.

13. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, the point I was making was even if it still had its old elements those would still be unfit for further use so this is not a 'problem' to prevent a return to steam as the cost of the new elements would still be required.

14. 2392

2392 Well-Known Member

It wasn't just the Super-heater elements that were removed that effected 251s' steaming. They also removed the header too. Hence when I suggested they restore her to working order, "They'd" need to either fit a pair of none super-heated tubeplates or a new header and elements. Making 251 a none super-heated engine isn't that outrageous, as when first out-shopped she ran with such a boiled. Super-heating being one of the modifications made to the type over the years. Just as they were converted from slide to piston valve cylinders. When restored Doncaster had a spare set of slide valve cylinders which were used in place of the piston valve cylinders.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  15. THE MELTER

THE MELTER Member

ENGINEER
    Hardwick and Cornwall,
    in no particular order,
    oh and the ex IMI 0-4-0 ( a Webb?)

16. Masterbrew

Masterbrew New Member

I have heard that when 251 went into Doncaster works for restoration after its last run, it was taken apart and rebuilt with the best components laying around the stores as there would be no further overhauls of his class. Someone told me that even the frames were replaced. If this is so, it must fail the NRM "original material" criteria as much of what is on it now was not there when it last ran!

2392 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  17. 2392

2392 Well-Known Member

Indeed I've Ossy [O.S.] Nocks' Book on UK Atlantics. Whilst 990 Henry Oakley was basically withdrawn given a repaint into full G.N. colours' despite having a superheated boiler and retired to the old Queen Street Museum in York. Nock remarks that 251 was more of a "memorial loco" cobbled together from a variety of "spare parts", with little of the original machine surviving. Shades of the Gresley Pacific Grand Parade pre-war. Grand Parade had been involved in the Castle Carey crash [between Edinburgh and Glasgow] and removed to Doncaster works. Where the remains were stripped of what could be reused at one end of the Plant, with the rest scrapped and a completely new loco produced from the "Spares Pool" at the other end of the Plant.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Bluenosejohn likes this.
  18. clinker

clinker Member

[QUOTE="2392, post: 2033073, member: 8414"

. Grand Parade had been involved in the Castle Carey crash [between Edinburgh and Glasgow] and removed to Doncaster works. Where the remains were stripped of what could be reused at one end of the Plant, with the rest scrapped and a completely new loco produced from the "Spares Pool" at the other end of the Plant.[/QUOTE]

I think that you'll find that applies to most 'Re Built' locomotives.

andrewshimmin likes this.
  19. 2392

2392 Well-Known Member

I think that you'll find that applies to most 'Re Built' locomotives.[/QUOTE]

So it would apply to 251 as well, considering how little of her was apparently used in the preserved machine.

20. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

NRM’s information sheet goes into some detail of 251’s assembly for preservation from available components in 1947; and the poor steaming on a trial trip which led to fitting of dummy superheater headers, to restore some sort of draughting, for the loco’s one and only railtour in 1953.

It also says the Doncaster philosophy was the identity of a loco is the number on the cabside.
    http://www.nrm.org.uk/~/media/files/nrm/pdf/archiveslists/tech-files/1975-7005.pdf

Jamessquared and 2392 like this.