If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The MHR today?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by PolSteam, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PolSteam

PolSteam Member

Retired, owner of Wickham type 17a TP57P
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Mine are not perceived, they are actual, and if you like I'll find the documents to prove it

2. tor-cyan

tor-cyan Well-Known Member

I suggest that you just walk away from it, you are doing neither your reputation as a preservation
    pioneer or your health any favours (at our time of life the last thing we need is high blood pressure)

I posted this on another thread a while back and thought it could do with another airing.

2 years ago I resigned my membership of a preservation group due to the fact I had a fundamental difference of opinion with the way the management of the railway was running it. I had been a member since 1977/78 and had been an active working volunteer since 1988, Yet I have never felt the need to plaster my opinions of the way the railway is being run or my perceived shortcomings of the management all over the web. many of my friends work on the railway and despite knowing my opinion they still enjoy the experience of working and supporting the railway and I would not try to deny them that pleasure by constantly trying to denigrate the railway and its aims.
    My only regret is that I no longer have the pleasure of working on the rolling stock and motive power that I have invested hundreds of man hours and thousands of pounds of my hard won cash on.
    But management changes and even deeply entrenched opinions can alter over time and I would be foolish in the extreme to burn all my bridges as I maybe one day decide to swallow my pride and pick up a spanner again.

When I quit I took on another hobby, I now have an allotment which just so happens to back on to the loco sheds so when the winds in the right direction I still get that wonderful aroma of smoke, steam and hot oil wafting over the fence, I even enjoy the occasional cloud of Diesel fumes.
    I also have to walk passed the Main station to get to my plot, and I do like to stop and look, and savour the fact that although I no longer have any thing to do with the railway I can see some of the things I did help to preserve/restore trundling up and down.
    So maybe its time that you left the past where it is and turned your many talents to some other projects.

Cheers

Colin

3. PolSteam

PolSteam Member

Retired, owner of Wickham type 17a TP57P
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi Colin.

Yep, I guess your right. It's all born of the sudden stroke that Mike's had, and the feeling of utter useless ness these days. I'm not to big not to say sorry. I just been feeling very depressed since I heard the news of Mike, more than two weeks after the fact. I can't see him, but I did send a card and so did my children, because they saw I was so upset. The only pictures I could find of the 4f were from 2007, and it looked terrible, and the 4 f site was last updated in 2014, so if they had the site up to date, maybe none of this would have happened. Still I'm not going to post further to this thread, and let me see if I can get myself back together.

All the best.

John

Swan Age and TheEngineer like this.
  4. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I think that at this point the thread has drawn to a natural conclusion and as there is no point in continuing further I have locked this topic.

joe_issitt and Martin Perry like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.