If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Midlander -28th june - 6233 non stop

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by andalfi1, Jun 18, 2014.

1. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    [​IMG]

Nearly caught me out at Euston with her arrival! Also took the chance to follow her to Southall, Braunton and Bittern were out to play as well in the yard, a shame a shot couldn't be obtained really.

Some more shots available here - http://railwaygalleries.smugmug.com...-2014/37360116_Njb8Hb#!i=3348575395&k=mhRxWkp

Drysdale likes this.
  2. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Very little to add from me. Some PA announcements were badly timed, for example as we were running through Primrose Hill Tunnel so couldn't hear a word. Slight disappointment that the whole train reversed, so that those near the back in the morning were still near the back on the down run. Nevertheless it was yet another fine day out with VT. And marvellous service from the catering team (as usual), with everything done in time even for those who were getting off at Nuneaton.

I had booked to come back to London from Tyseley, rashly relying on arriving on time so I could catch the 21:07 London Midland and change at Solihull. We did arrive near enough on time but I got worried when a minute or two passed before they inched the train closer to the buffer stops to allow unloading to start; and even then it was via the support coach, with the loco and REG taking up much of the platform length, so took several more minutes. But I did catch my train with a few minutes to spare.

3. zep108

zep108 Member

logistics
    hello
    managed to get it Friday at water orton engine and two coaches - Saturday entering new st - washwood heath and old arley
    pictures at www.stevebottrill.zenfolio.com
    regards

4. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

That's the trick with a non stop, going like the clappers in certain places will result in a red, overall a very good trip, the Duchess never really being stretched, but I think this could be a winning itinary for joe public passengers, sociable start and finish times, length layover in a decent destination, no kicking about in loops for ages, what's not to like ?, thanks to Bob, Ben & co.

5. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Poxy Desiro's infront are too slow ;)

6. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

My footage from the run, with shots from Long Buckby and Arley Tunnel.

David likes trains likes this.
  7. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Return Leg of the Duchess

8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Just to add a postscript to a well conceived and executed day that illustrates the fact that you can't please everyone and therefore probably shouldn't try, although the points made are fair ones I think.

Someone near me on the train was none too pleased having got on at New Street to realise that a) the train was leaving northbound, not southbound on the proper route as publicised and b) the CL47 was coming with us, again, not as publicised. His point was that this was a special trip with a premier loco at a premium price and more should have been done to avoid taking the 47, if nothing else. As an aside, the tickets and paperwork made no mention of the changes and nothing was said about it through the PA system although we did enjoy a repeat of all the rules and instructions that were available to read in the paperwork. Were it not for Bob Meanley very thoughtfully explaining on NP the predicament over pathing through New Street, many of us here would have been unaware and possibly equally irritated.

I don't see why, when these things happen, people simply aren't told. OK - going northbound may have presented a smoke concern for NR starting out of New Street and then you are stuck with the diesel for the rest of the day. Without a diesel attached the train was definitely not long enough to need assistance anywhere (Euston, for example), but once attached, it would have to help, notably, up to Stockingford. Lucky for us that on this occasion the crews took a minimalist approach with the unwanted guest (These things are nicer in green, by the way)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  9. Big Al

About 43 tons when full of water.

10. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Thanks...:)

11. LMarsh1987

TBC
    People should get used to a diesel being on the back, as it will become a constant requirement in the future. Anyway, a dead weight diesel increases loco performance on the less strenuous part's of the trip.

12. Big Al

True, however, notwithstanding the reason it may be there in the first place, as a dead weight it is a wasteful addition and slows the train down which is exactly what you don't want on the ML.

13. LMarsh1987

TBC
    I thought the Coronation Classes were known for hauling 14 + coach loads at speed, in their heyday.

14. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It is true that 14 was not unusual but schedules were somewhat slower. Banking out of Euston with the ECS loco was normal, usually an Ivat class 2, until 20s came along.

15. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

I completely agree with you that honesty is the best policy, and some straight talking re less popular tour developments like that we enjoy from BM on here would probably be appreciated on board as well.

VT are rarely that specific about timings or routes on their website so was surprised to read in your post that a southbound exit from New Street was "publicised". I don't recall this being the case, though I accept it may have been assumed in the absence of anything to the contrary, and the fact the tour was "bigged up" as something special in the advertising etc.

The presence of the diesel is another matter, and while it's clear that the necessity of one unfortunate development kind of led to another, diesels on the back of steam tours are quite unusual on VT tours so I can see how this may have upset some of those on board. From what I read of the actual events of the day however, it was hardly used, and arguably, had it not been there, the reduced weight could not have been taken advantage of due to the need to keep the train in check and avoid running up against a red.

All in all it's a case of trying to remember how extraordinary it is these tours run at all. That said, we on here have come to understand that, and are extremely forgiving. The ordinary punter is less well informed, and while it can be argued that expectations can, and are, at times, unreasonable, a bit of straight talk and sharing of home truths wouldn't go amiss.

16. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    I would be very interested to know how people would have undertaken the reversal shunting move out of Euston without having the 47 on the back.

Of course the diesel could be added on at the destination. Which means paying for an additional path. I hope you're prepared to pay that charge yourself, seeing as how you're the ones complaining.

17. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

On what basis us that statement made? Have NR issued an edict that all steam hauled trains should have a DL attached? If not is this just your view and speculation?. Agreed that it's very unusual for Vintage to agree to the use of a DL especially with such a reliable performer ad 6233 but neither 35028 nor 70013 had a DL on Saturday and nor did 45407 today .

Maybe Ben from Vintage could explain about Saturday and you could expand on your statement.

Don

spicer21 and Drysdale like this.
  18. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

You miss the point of course. It's not us that's complaining. Though we may not like it, we understand it. It's those complaining and not understanding to whom I was referring. I'm simply saying the state of play we all understand to be "de rigueur" should be properly communicated to everyone else. Given it's as simple, straightforward, and based on common sense reality as you say, why not let people know ?

Drysdale likes this.
  19. 46253

46253 New Member

Photographer, concert organist and model-maker
    Slightly late to the thread here, but my efforts from yesterday's inbound run and ECS to Southall are here:

[​IMG]
    46233 Willesden 28-6-14 (V13085)
    by TimEaster, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    46233 Euston 28-6-14 (V13089)
    by TimEaster, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    46233 Southall 28-6-14 (V13107)
    by TimEaster, on Flickr

Pity about the weather, but a superb sight nonetheless. I cannot think of a time where I've seen two steam tours within two minutes of each other at the same location - 44932 departing Willesden HL at 11:11 and 46233 passing underneath at 11:13.

Drysdale and RalphW like this.
  20. 84A

84A New Member

RalphW and Drysdale like this.