If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Pride of Swindon 5043 to Carlisle via the S & C -16th October

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Paul42, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    You would of thought back via the S&C,otherwise it defies the whole point of tackling "the long drag" in both directions. It's actually a much longer "drag" heading south though,normally the one where GWR engines have run into trouble in the past.

2. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I doubt it's that much of a problem with a correct load and engine handling, although it doesn't get the headlines like Shap northbound, Grayrigg & Shap Southbound require high power outputs for a period of time too.

3. bob.meanley

bob.meanley Member

For the avoidance of doubt, the plan is to attach the engine at Hellifield, turn at Carlisle, return via S&C and Blackburn to Crewe, then diesel return to Bham.

Bob

4. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    In that case Ralph, you'll be shocked to discover that I haven't done the S&C behind steam, but I'm waiting for the RIGHT class of locomotive ;) (and I think you know what I mean, ad infinitum, ad nauseum)!

5. im slightly annoyed as i would like to travel on this however its not presently booked for a hellifield pickup at all!

6. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Thanks Bob, just what we wanted to know. I hope it's as successful as the run over Shap last year.

7. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Owing to the Clapham Omnibus being cancelled and me needing my trip fix, I am putting on a disguise and am booking a seat on this tour. I think I may need to take some strong tranquilizers after making that decision.

Awaits barrage of disparaging comments.. :peep:

8. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Not going for the Duchess's last trip before overhaul, then Ralph? The Pride Of Swindon will be a facinating trip. If the Earl struggles, there'll be tension and emotion on board, and if she doesn't there'll be the excitement of measuring how well she actually does. I hope a few timers will have the details of suitable comparitive runs to hand. The obvious benchmark is 46115 (herself a blend of Southern, Midland and GW know-how).

The Steam Age Pictures camera crews will (hopefully) be on the fellsides (or huddling behind walls!) to record the event for our planed GW175 DVD.

9. RalphW

I'm on the Stirling trip this weekend, that will be my last Duchess run as with the London run starting and finishing in Sheffield and the 6 hours in London I cannot manage the time, so as third choice after the demise of the CO I'm take a chance and going GWR.
    My camera will no doubt be stuck out of a window when appropriate.

10. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see you with your head stuck out of a GWR coach Ralph, you will wave won't you. :wave:

11. RalphW

I did go on a VT trip to Llandudno Junc. in June last year so I have been seen in a GWR coach but with disguise on, but anyway my excuse was that it was a convienent way to get a trip on the Welsh Highland, as that was included in the tour.
    If theres a chance that you might be out I'll keep firmly seated, might get my photo taken and used in evidence......
    Not a peep from Salty yet so I assume he has not read this thread recently but no doubt someone will tell him soon enough.

12. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

Well you better make sure you've got some recording in before Stainforth Ralph, if you catch my drift...! (Joke! before some GWR fans lynch me). Looking forward to some Swindon bark and plenty of clag!

13. RalphW

OK I'll go for a Hellifield departure and then passing throuigh Settle Station... After that, well we shall see.
    Will you be out somewhere?

14. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

Should be plenty of time to do Settle Junction, Settle Station, Langcliffe, Stainforth, Sheriffs Brow, Helwith Bridge, Horton, Horton No. 2, Selside, Selside Shaw, Ribblehead, then walk over to the viaduct snap it there and stroll up to Blea Moor ahead of it. At least it's unlikely to be going fast enough to run a hot box. :)

15. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

Haha - I'm sure she'll be fine. That said, 46229 came to grief in Stainforth cutting on its inaugural northbound S&C run in 1980, as did 34092 in 1987, whilst others have certainly made a meal of it. 60800's restart and subsequent triumph in the snow and ice in 2000 was superb.

Yes hope to be out for it Ralph - it'll be nice to see something on the S&C outside the summer overdose, and something a little bit different :)

16. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

Hope to hell we get a better batch of coal than Bittern and the Duchess got this week!!!

17. bob.meanley

bob.meanley Member

MMMM! There have been some interesting difficulties with coal over the last month or two. We had a new batch of Daw Mill a week or so ago, which looks OK and certainly didn't cause any problems with 9600 yesterday, so we shall just have to see if it is OK with 5043, which certainly normally thrives on decent Daw Mill coal.

Bob

18. RalphW

The new stuff that they used for the Scot seemed pretty good, never any problem keeping her simmering.

19. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

Just got our tickets through, looking forward to a great day out. Coach B, 13B&F.

Timings are 06.10 off Tyseley :shocked:, Tame Br 07.00, W'hampton 07.24, Crewe 08.20, arr Carlisle 12.40, leave at 3pm for an 11pm return to Tyseley. Blimey.

Any good hotels near to Tyseley Depot?

20. lickeybanker

lickeybanker Well-Known Member

Retired