If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Pride of Swindon 5043 to Carlisle via the S & C -16th October

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Paul42, Jul 12, 2010.

1. swampthing

swampthing New Member

5043 looking stunning in the sun at Langcliffe this morning

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27848870@N02/5086227995

2. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

Any updates? Has she left Hellifield?

3. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

Yes left Hellifield on time but pathed for a painful 2 and a half hour crawl back to Crewe. On time at Clitheroe but it's stop start all the time :(

Still it was a stunning run over the S&C which was the main point.

And at least they're not spilling the soup :)

4. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

A couple of minutes early according to an update I recieved earlier. Now off to Warrington.

5. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

5 down I have heard at Blackburn, following the stopper since Hellifield.

The reason I am posting this whilst I am supposed to be on my way to Warrington is a broken accelerator cable decided to slow progress slightly. Luckily only a mile from home so managed to nurse it back at about 8mph on tickover.. :car::frusty::frusty::yell:

6. Steve from GWR

You'd have overtaken us at that speed!

7. Steve from GWR

Though in fact we had a great low speed run up the bank to Daisyfield Jcn, 5043 doing all the work and not a murmur from the diesel. Then a clear fast run Blackburn to Lostock. Nice.

8. campainr

oh dear...tonight of all nights!! Bad luck.

9. campainr

Seen passing WCMLcam (Euxton Junction) at 1916.

10. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

It looked very nice today, but it's a shame the run told us little about how well a double chimney Castle could tackle the S&C, only how quick it could be shoved along by a Duff. Hopefully, it might get another chance to do it solo at some point in the future. Given the reasonably dry conditions, I don't know if it was necessary to go with the diesel, but I always think it a shame to see trains running well up on schedule and still being assisted at the rear. Still, at least it made it out and back over the S&C with no problems.

11. Penricecastle

Penricecastle Member

So, if I'm interpreting this right, the diesel was actually pushing from the rear over the S&C? How dissappointing and unnecessary. that loco would have managed on its own. I bet the safety valves were blowing all the way, as usual. If they don't need to push a Jubilee or Black 5 over the S&C, they certainly didn't need to push 5043.

12. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    passed me just north of Horton-in-Ribblesdale and the class 47 was most definitely NOT pushing

13. Penricecastle

Penricecastle Member

Interesting. An earlier post said that by the speed at which the train passed Settle junction, it was assumed that 5043 had been given some diesel help away from Hellifield. A video has appeared on Youtube which shows the Hellifield departure and the Duff at the back doesn't appear to be doing any work. I guess the true story about how much, if any, assistance was given by the diesel will appear here soon. Let's hope it's a zero diesel contribution.

14. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGUbFvudUR4

One thing I think the diesel was doing, acting as an overgrown generator car. Even though the VT stock is steam heat fitted. Reminds me of the terrible Ethel days 20 years ago.

15. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    OK just got home from this fabulous trip and I casn clear up this 'pushing' question. Having spoken to both the diesel driver, Albert Seymour, and a senior member of the Tyseley team, I can catagorically state that the diesel did not push.
    It was running in 'first notch' which was explained to me as follows. In first notch a 47 running light might eventually get up to 25mph but on a 1:100 climb might reach 20 mph maximum. It would not start with any load at that setting.
    So although it's engine was working, and whilst it was taking some of it's own load, it would not be giving any assistance whatsoever.

Video of some awesome performance and noise will be processed tomorrow, Sunday.

16. aemmott

aemmott New Member

17. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

My guess is that how much assistance was actually given will never really be known. At the end of the day, everyone will be happy, the GW fans can believe it stormed the climbs unassisted, while the doubters can assume it was shoved over. I have a reasonable idea what a duff sounds like when it's working, but I didn't see the northbound climb, so can't comment on that. It's perhaps worth noting that, despite the early running, there was a southbound unit a block behind on the return, which may have been the reason for assistance being provided?

18. Mighty Mogul

Mighty Mogul Well-Known Member

Artist
    Lovely pic. Stunning lighting with that dark sky as a backdrop.

19. Mike Wylie

Mike Wylie New Member

Engine Driver
    I sign Duffs and was actively looking out for Sulzer clatter at the back. I can say absolutely that it wasn't providing rear end assistance. Also don't forget that its would also be a major rule flouting issue.

20. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

How come? Many diesels have provided rear end assistance to steam over the years? We've already been told the duff was definitely in Notch 1 and we have no reason not to take the drivers word that it never went higher than that. So, I'm happy to stand corrected, as it sounded to be working harder than that to me. I do hope they perform a re-run some time with no diesel on the back, so we can truly assess the performance. Regardless, it was a cracking day and it all went without a hitch, which is the main thing after previous GW outings.

Cheers for the comment Craig. I was pretty chuffed to find a hole in the cloud!