If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The railway promotional video thread

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by toplight, Jul 20, 2020.

1. toplight

toplight Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Railways from time to time produce a video to promote their railway. The idea being like a short movie trailer that it inspires you to go and visit. What videos either made by the railway itself or supporters have you seen that have inspired you to go. Perhaps one that you would not normally have chosen to visit ?

So two I have seen recently both of which of which have taken a different approach. One I really like, the other less so. Have a look and see what you think and post other ones you think show their respective railway or heritage place in a good way to inspire the public to want to travel. What is important to show in the video ?

Check them out:-

Paignton and Dartmouth (is used on their homepage)

Bluebell one posted on here recently

2. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The Lynton & Barnstaple Railway is currently running an "OnTrack" appeal during the Covid Crisis (although Woody Bay is now, thankfully, open and running a full Summer Service again, since last weekend), incorporating this video:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  3. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

I have to admit that I stopped watching the Bluebell one half way through when it was first posted on here. It is a matter of personal preference though and others might love it. I struggle with the presenting style of the "young" guy who presents the Mid Hants videos, I much prefer the style of the lady who does the SVR reopening videos.

This is my favourite video It is a few years old now and I am not sure whether you would really describe it as promotional though.

4. Penrhynfan

Penrhynfan New Member

Personally, I hate a promotional video where annoying music drowns out the sound of the trains. Are the creators of these films trying to promote a steam railway or music?

RalphW likes this.