If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Royal Duchy 2012

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by gwr4090, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: Te Royal Duchy 2012

Here’s my video from today, taken at Whiteball, Dainton, Rattery and Hemerdon sidings.

The Royal Duchy 70013 Oliver Cromwell 12th August 2012 - YouTube

Also, tried to take a photo whilst videoing, the not too successful result is here:

IMG_1310 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

Great vid, loved the section on Whiteball, great sound!

3. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    I really enjoyed the run today joining at DW + meeting Alberta(NP) + the other stewards. Standard/first FULL but dining half full. Book early for the sept trips,maybe,esp if going std!
    Most travellers seem to prefer the bus/coach option to Fowey with Plymouth used by fairly few people today. ND visited Carne Point(!!!!)+ told me he had seen the O8.......

Ray C was driving +was excellent. Brisk confident running+nail biting drama on Rattery. The slips seemed near to a flange lubricator but maybe an expert could confirm this. We were 15secs late at Ply which suggests good running and a rather slack schedule!!!

Craig S (G.C.) fired Ply-Par-BTM. He told me he then went Bristol to YJ mon,"stayed with 70013 until wed". E+C to Wey wed prior to working back to London. Wow--amazing!!!

Assuming all 7 Bri-Par run 2,000+ jouneys will be made mostly by the gen public who seemed in good mood. A lot of work results : catering/WCR crew/hostesses/cafe owners in Fowey. 5305 support crew do a HUGE amount+some return goes to the NRM. Volunteer stewards clean/help with bus transfers etc bringing much needed money to Cornwall.

Concerts at Dartington Hall prevented joining the return trip but I hope NP members had a good time.
    PS I am very grateful to mods/admin for their recent difficult work. Long may NP promote mainline steam+NP members ride/photo/discuss trips+have FUN!!Thanks to all NP members who have supported the RD or been supportive in other ways

RAY MASON

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Just returned from a fabulous run behind 70013. Absolutely shattered but well worth it.

5. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Now I've finally had some sleep, time to recap on yesterday's run. Rolling stock clean as were the loos - at least the ones I visited - and the buffet well stocked. Friendly and helpful stewards. A blistering performance from 70013 with on time or early running throughout the day. The "Battle of Rattery" was arguably the highlight. Approaching Totnes I said jokingly to a steward that I hoped we got checked at Totnes but never expected a red right at the foot of the bank. Steward reckoned I must have got friends in Exter PSB. :) I settled down to record the climb but we were soon in trouble with 70013 losing its feet. Driver set back and tried to restart several times but loco kept losing its feet at pretty much the same point each - as has been mentioned in a previous post a flange lubricator may have been the culprit. Finally we managed to get past that particular point and complete the climb in fine style. Superb loco handling from Ray Churchill as for a while it looked as if we would be stuck on the bank.
    Was good to meet a few NatPres types - BulleidPacific, Alberta45562 and 44123 - and have a good natter during the quiet bits. Unfortunately I forget the driver's name who did the return run but he gave us a very good run including an deafening climb of Hemerdon.
    Top marks for all concerned for a very good day out.

6. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

Anyone got any idea as to what's pulling the Septemer trains?

7. KEYHAMTRAIN

KEYHAMTRAIN Member

8. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Fantastic day yesterday,great to meet new forum members etc and have good laugh,some absolutely superb driving by Ray Churchill to get us over Rattery. If you haven't booked,why not?! It's really a grand day out and well worth the money,one of the best runs I have known for sound effects! (Spamcan will back that up!!)

Looking forward to the 23rd Sept already!

Thanks again to all involved.

Cheers,
    Mark

9. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

Add my words of praise to Mr Churchill for saving the day on Tigley. The loco kept moving (just) at the signal check but slipped to a stand a little further on. The feeling was that there was something greasy on the rails, possibly from overhanging trees. Nevertherless it took many attempts to finally re-start. The problem was just on the end of the 1 in 47, plus the train was on a curve. Once clear of the problem area 70013 was surefooted for the rest of the climb.

Very good run overall. Hill climbing was not quite as quick as the first week but still very, very good. Two even time runs Yatton to Taunton and Taunton – Yatton.

Anybody know who the fireman was as far as Plymouth?

Thanks to all concerned.

Stewards said that 34067 is expected to appear on the trains in September although I wonder if that will be reviewed after events on Tigley.

10. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Charlie Barber was the fireman I believe.

11. Spamcan81

Training moles
    I can definitely confirm the sounds were superb. Currently listening to Olly tackle the westbound climb away from Lostwithiel to Doublebois.

12. SPM82B

SPM82B New Member

RAILWAY MAINTENANCE TEAM LEADER
    Nice to see you again Spamcan 81. I glad you enjoyed your trip. I know I did !!

13. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Nice to see you too. Have been listening to my sound recordings today. Got some good stuff and once edited down should make some good listening for the 5305 crew.

14. 34001

34001 New Member Loco Owner

15. Spamcan81

Training moles
  16. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Is the other Peter Roberts? To answer a question from a previous post.

17. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

No it isn't but it looked as though it was Pete Roberts driving when the train left Plymouth.

18. SPM82B

SPM82B New Member

RAILWAY MAINTENANCE TEAM LEADER
    Thanks Spamcan, he may be an ugly bugger but he has a full head of hair! Look forward to the recordings & I will pass them on to the 5305 lads. The other chap in the picture is the fireman Charlie Barber.

19. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Solar panel for a genius mate, that's what it is. :)

20. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I echo everyone's comments, a really good day out. Enjoyed my natter with Spamcan81 at Exeter (regarding the Herdwick-related comment at BTM, don't knock it 'till you try it! ;) ), and it was great to renew acquaintances with a couple of the stewards. Weather was actually pretty kind to us, and the 'Battle of Rattery' was an outstanding piece of enginemanship; we still arrived at Plymouth early. So definitely recommended for a good, decent length leg-stretch by steam that is good value for money.