If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Royal Duchy 2016

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 1020 Shireman, Jul 1, 2016.

1. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    When necessary today would have been all the banks except possibly Whiteball on the return. You are missing the point - why was the diesel going to be there? It's done two very successful runs over the banks so what's changed? We'll all never agree on this issue and we know the promoter didn't want it on the train.

2. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

from Facebook:

Due to access issues which resulted in a minor derailment 46233 ‘Duchess of Sutherland’, she was unable to join the mainline for the positioning move from the Midland Railway - Butterley to Bristol on the 1st October. She was re-railed but as a result a number of safety inspections now need to be carried out on the locomotive. The Princess Royal Class Locomotive Trust considers the safe operation of 46233 as one of the most important aspects of its activities.

3. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    There's no just thing as a minor derailment ! Any time a loco/train comes off the rails it's Bad ! I can understand the reason why no one from the PRCLT & MRC would not answer any questions yesterday, as it would of been all rather embarrassing for them.

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    But what about all those passengers who don't share your views and would be happy to see steam on the front occasionally assisted by a diesel, but now have a diesel and nothing else.

5. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    On the 7th August the Duchess hauled the Royal Duchy from Bristol to Par and return. There was no need for a diesel.

On the 28th August the Duchess was booked to haul the train from Bristol to Plymouth and then a diesel loco take the train from Plymouth to Par.

What was due to change today was that the diesel would have travelled with the charter rather than run light from Bristol to Plymouth.

As the incident at Butterley occured so late it was hardly fair for the several hundred punters to turn up for their charter train and then be told that it had been postponed for a second time. <BJ>

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  6. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Freelance Trumpet Player // IT Engineer
    Oh no Ralph you fell into the trap..! Always best to filter these type of posts into ignore pile...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rich and Louise likes this.
  7. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Trouble is my filters had just been removed for cleaning..

John Rowley and BillyReopening like this.
  8. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

Going back to 46233 on 7th Aug: Based on the limited log from Bill Long published in 'Steam Railway' I have estimated the time over the measured section of Hemerdon as 5 min 22.5 sec (MP242.5 to MP238.5). It's only an estimate but it will be within a couple of seconds. The time is 5th on the list (4th with 9 coaches) 31 seconds slower than the record set by 71000.

Concerning the trip last weekend I have had a very nice letter offering a credit on a future trip because my party didn't travel. Well done RTC.