If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Royal Duchy 2016

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 1020 Shireman, Jul 1, 2016.

1. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

I quite agree but you are mistaken if you infer I am suggesting WC should employ a surfeit of staff. The reverse in fact, just develop a model based on what can realistically be acheived from the resources available. The most succesful operations are those with a proximate suitable depot and generally a pool of locos. Trying anything more ambitious in the hope that all falls into place when you do not have full control is inviting failure.
    NR or whoever manages individual depots has no obligation to co-operate with steam charter planners whether we find it agreeable or not. So work around it and plan to do things you control fully more or less.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  2. richard67

richard67 New Member

train driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks, yes that does make perfect sense.

3. richard67

richard67 New Member

train driver
    Probably because its no longer a DB Cargo depot. Depot has been merged with Westbury, so most staff have moved there.

4. tromba

tromba New Member

I am sure we all look forward to you taking over both NetRail & WCR and really sticking it to them by showing them how it's done!

The armchair warriors on here seem to think it is just a case of selecting a loco....who cares if it hasn't run in 20 years....just get it out of a museum and light it up....then get some coaches off a preserved railway, because their registration won't have lapsed at all....use a TOC that has never run steam and over a route that should have never been closed in the 80's...some of the trackbed is still there after all.

Steam charters have to fit AROUND the other services....scheduled passenger and freight services will always take priority. The railway is getting busier and faster, so paths are fewer. It this means a pathing stop that is a little inconvenient for the charter, so be it. The pre-planners at WCR and the planners at NetRail do an amazing job, especially when the planned tour has to be re-gauged, then re-routed because of a last-minute loco change.

Do we really want to see steam confined to a limited number of routes?

So I look forward to the first 'Armchair Warrior Express' organised and operated by 'Keyboard Warrior Inc' although many of the most vocal on this site proudly announce they will never go on a mainline charter! However, it is their right to be outraged at the state of the market. It's similar to proclaiming disgust at the price of a Fortnum & Mason picnic hamper, but in the same breath saying they would never buy one anyway.

Until you have dipped your toe into the mainline charter industry, I assure you you do not have even the slightest idea of what goes on and the difficulties getting each and every charter to run. Preserved railways have a whole different set of problems operating, but please do not think that doing a weekend course firing a loco on a preserved railway qualifies anyone to dictate how things should be done!

I will be deleting my profile now before the mods do it for me!

Over and Out!

pwsw5054, acorb, lord stamp and 11 others like this.
  5. Ben Vintage-Trains

Ben Vintage-Trains Member

Hear-Hear!

RalphW and BillyReopening like this.
  6. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I don't think the mods are against people talking sense

GWR4707, Herald, oddsocks and 2 others like this.
  7. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Although you quoted a post by me you seem to be responding to someone else's views. Suffice to say of course you are quite right in what you say but then nobody, as far as I can see, is underestimating how difficult running steam charters is or will be in future.
    The only point where we diverge is over restricted routes; it isn't desirable but might just be the only sustainable model in future. It was offered as a constructive response to @RalphW, not a wish.
    As far as getting involved with planning goes I am not sure any vacancies exist presently at WC. Striving to improve, no matter how marginal the gains, is what drives successful businesses. You seem to think all is rosy so why try? The only thing certain is that if things are done the way they have always been the results will be the same and to expect otherwise is madness, to paraphrase Einstein.

Dobbs0054 likes this.
  8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No don't delete your profile. There is no need, although can we have salvoes from Tyseley one at a time please. ;)

Meanwhile, back on topic.........

9. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    How do you get to the classic Dainton west/southbound shot, is it through the gate to the field on Gropers Lane near the tunnel mouth?

10. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    Yes thats right.. have your money ready for the farmer when he comes round

swanny and black5 like this.
  11. SPM82B

SPM82B New Member

RAILWAY MAINTENANCE TEAM LEADER
    SPM is a very busy depot at the best of times & space can be at a premium but we have & will stable more than one steam loco on the depot. There has been times when Riley's two fives have been there along with Tangmere & Cromwell & Tangmere have also both been there together not forgetting support coaches. The business needs of the depot will always come & have to come first but as far as I'm aware no approach was made for depot access this perticular time. We always do our best to look after our visitors & all the support crews & TOC's that have been on depot have been perfect tenants. If I had my way we would have a fleet of steam locos but then I'm biased.

12. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

There are lots of complicated jobs that cause stress to individuals. But most get on with the job and don't bleat about it.

Many of the "Armchair" and "Keyboard" warrior you choose to denigrate are paying customers. No business survives by disrespecting customers who raise legitimate concerns about the product they buy not being delivered. Everyone has a right to express a view and be respected, either side of the fence.

Clearly 2016 has been a major challenge as loco shortages have hit hard. In some respects, thank God the Settle Carlisle line is closed or the drought would have been worse.

26D_M makes a valid point about what can considered over ambitious programmes when there is so much uncertainty.

I think everyone applauds the work done this week to get the Royal Duchy literally on the rails. I have always found tours giving a good explanaition for holding in loops etc. A chance to stretch legs, get a beer without spilling it or catching up on the news. That is one feature that we are always told about. Not a problem. Those on the Duchess will not mind as the rest of the day will be one to remember.

13. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Different thread same record I see!

GWR4707 likes this.
  14. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Flip side of yours methinks.... At least I respect alternative views rather than your intolerance.

It may have passed your notice but I was responding to other comments on this thread.

15. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Freelance Trumpet Player // IT Engineer
    The vast majority of this whole thread contains more ignorance than intolerance....

Please for once why can't this forum have a pleasant and normal discussion instead of flame wars and ridiculous comments.

It really is beyond childish now and is bound to put people off...

acorb, GWR4707 and RalphW like this.
  16. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Thanks, how much does he usually ask for?

17. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    The classic shot you're on about will be close to being overgrown now were in the summer. Get there early to get a your pick of the shots. There is always the other side of the tunnel if you're struggling for an angle.

18. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    I gave him a pound and he was more than happy to except that.

19. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Oh dear,what exactly is the purpose of this incredibly patronising sermon?

Are you for real? Has anyone on here ever suggested "getting a locomotive out of a museum,finding some coaches off a preserved railway,and using a TOC that has never run steam"? Or is your post a joke of which I have missed the point?

As a (very) long suffering paying customer and veteran of multiple dozens of steam trips over 30+ years,and having suffered every kind of cancellation.breakdown,failed FTR,rerouting,diesel substitution, etc etc,I can assure you I have a little more than "the slightest idea of what goes on".

I have no desire to "dictate how things should be done", and again,has anyone on here done that? I am glad you think that WCR and NR do "an amazing job" and I agree that,sometimes ,they do. However, your apparent message that all is fine with mainline steam and we must all be thankful for what we have just does not add up. I don't think that I am alone in having,for a range of reasons,greatly cut down the number of trips I do.

20. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Will 46233 go tender first from BL to fairwater yard to back on the train. Where would support coach go.