If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Scarborough Spa Express 2009

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 5067, Mar 3, 2009.

1. 5067

5067 Member

Details now online for the 2009 operating season.

Along with details for the Cambrian & Jacobite, a few traction tours and the odd steam trip.

http://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/

Very well laid out website too, now with online booking. Roll on the summer....

2. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)

But unfortunately the details of some trains are vague, to say the least - like which is the steam section of the "unmissable steam journey" on Sat 11 April from Cleethorpes to Perth ? Steam isn't mentioned at all in the description despite the headline banner ! Perhaps its all a big secret to be discovered on the day !

David

3. hjo1963

hjo1963 New Member

Joiner
    I noticed the lack of clarity whether some of the tours were steam hauled at all or which section. If i were to book on any more info would be needed.
    Brian

4. blackfive

blackfive Member

I suspect the April 11th train is all diesel, it would be hard to do in a sensible length day if there were a steam section in that itinerary. It also appears under the Day Trips & Breaks page which includes other trips that I assume are all diesel but, I agree, it is confusing. For example, there's a train from Whitby to Carlisle listed, illustrated with a picture of two steam locos; I was under the impression that that one was all diesel. All it needs are the words 'hauled by Heritage Traction' to appear and then we'll know!

Getting back to the SSE; I see the times on the web site are the same as last year with a late arrival back in York. I'd been under the impression that WCRC were hopping to have an earlier start from Scarborough and get back to York before 8.30 pm. That would have made an evening circle more attractive to many (including me!).

Anyway, never mind about that; the really important question is, will we be getting the Scot?

5. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    Nope the scot was ruled out under gauging problems last year!

6. blackfive

blackfive Member

Ah but, towards the end of the SSE season (too late to be any good) I was told by someone who really should know that they (NR) had looked at it again and it was OK subject to a couple of extra bridge restrictions!
    We'll probably just have to wait and see (as usual!).

7. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Have you tried using this on-line booking facility, its the most complicated I have come across. They are even charging a fee for you to keep your same seat on the return journey if you book on-line! With any other operator and you automatically keep your same seat throughout the day.

8. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Hmm, that's the sort of sharp practice you'd expect from Ryan Air or EasyJet.

9. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Can't see how that would help as even 47's are classed as Heritage Traction too these days.

To be honest the WCRC website is in need of an overhaul.

10. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    I see on the SSE you have to buy a York to York and a York Scarborough ticket to do the full day totalling £50 yet a Knaresborough Scarborough return is £38

11. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    You can select "York via Harrogate" as the origin, and "Scarborough" as the destination, but unfortunately it doesn't work when I try it!

12. blackfive

blackfive Member

I assumed everyone would assume diesel on seeing Heritage Traction!
    But the website, while it looks better than their old one did, it is still a mess.
    As others have noticed, parts of the on-line booking don't work, there is a full day SSE fare but you don't seem to be able to book one and I see they want a £2.75 booking fee. Why should there be a booking fee? I always thought that e-commerce was supposed to be the cheap way for retailers to take our money.
    All this does is cause those of us who know to just turn up and pay on the day and those who don't know will probably just not bother.
    If you are going to have a web site, it has to work - anything else is just counter productive.

13. 5067

5067 Member

Nope not yet, only posted up as nobody had mentioned it. Judging by some of the posts, the oline booking is'nt the best. Its still early days yet, I would imagine too that its only recently gone live, and still in need of a few adjustments here and there.

14. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    Reagrding timings if you cast your mind back to last year West coast put up 2007 timings as provisional beofre the real timings went up a lot later on. As far as I am aware slots can be issued up to 8 weeks before a given date so we wont know for sure for quite some time to come. I was rather hoping that the return leg was a hour or so earlier form a photography point of view, you can't get nowt of any interest after about half 8. As for motive power its pot luck, i have heard reports of 45231 being asked back again.

15. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I also heard the rumour of 45231 being asked back, well it'll fit in just right with it returning back from Scotland, providing extensive work isn't required. I would have also thought that the Carnforth based engines would be used again and looking from the line up to "The Fellsman" that would include, 5690, 48151 and 46115 subject to clearances, i also heard 70013 would also be considered. Sounds a lot like last year and i would love to see an A4 back on the route to be honest, but hey all those engines performed perfectly last year, so anything will do :)

16. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    45231 was a beast last year so that would be nice,would love 5690 again,and an A4,pity no.7 can't leave the NYMR for the week ;)

Cheers,
    Mark

17. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    60007 was requested last year Roger Barker was saying but couldn't do it because its contracted for certain days in service on the NYMR during the peak season.

18. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    46115 would do nicely so keeping my fingers crossed.

19. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    Having just looked on Uksteam its says for one of the weeks 48151 5690 or 46115.

20. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    48151 would be nice come to think of it,not had it around there yet,or Leander or SG.....! Usually because for 4 of the weeks we are in Devon!